|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 43.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
(b) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
(c) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(d) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
2. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
(a) If he should report the threat to Sheriff Walls.
(b) How many others had, like him, been threatened.
(c) Where the thugs who jumped him are from.
(d) How the other members of the jury will be voting.
3. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
(a) They are uncertain about some of the members.
(b) It is not as bad as was expected.
(c) It is much better than expected.
(d) Things do not look well.
4. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(b) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(c) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
(d) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
5. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(d) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the jury's decision?
2. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
3. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
4. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)