|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(b) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
(c) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(d) Reflecting on how he got off.
2. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(b) Have a cup of coffee.
(c) Play his harmonica.
(d) Light a cigar.
3. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "For what he did, he deserves life."
(b) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(c) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(d) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
4. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
(b) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(c) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(d) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
5. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
(a) It is not as bad as was expected.
(b) They are uncertain about some of the members.
(c) Things do not look well.
(d) It is much better than expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
2. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
3. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
4. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
5. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)