|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
(b) The house burning.
(c) The attack against Ellen.
(d) That things look very bad.
2. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
(a) They are instructed they may only stay without KKK regalia.
(b) National Guardsmen usher them away.
(c) They are advised by Sheriff Walls that they may stay, but not if hooded.
(d) Deputies usher to their "turf" out front, and tell them they may stay if there is no trouble.
3. What do the participants chant at the rally?
(a) "Free Carl Lee."
(b) "Amazing grace."
(c) "We want a just trial."
(d) "We will overcome."
4. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) State Attorney.
(d) District Judge.
5. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(b) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(c) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(d) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
2. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
3. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
4. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
5. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)