|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
(b) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
(c) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(d) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
2. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
(a) Considers it briefly, then declines.
(b) Says nothing, and slams the phone down.
(d) Refuses, accuses him of solicitation, and threatens to report or have him reviewed by grand jury.
3. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(b) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(c) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(d) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
4. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(b) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(c) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
5. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(b) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(c) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(d) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
2. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
3. When Murphy, the janitor, is called as a witness of the state on the afternoon of the fourth day, it is a gut-wrenching ordeal for what reason?
4. During the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team, what do the black citizens do?
5. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)