|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean is not concerned.
(b) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(c) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(d) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
2. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
(a) Deputies usher to their "turf" out front, and tell them they may stay if there is no trouble.
(b) National Guardsmen usher them away.
(c) They are advised by Sheriff Walls that they may stay, but not if hooded.
(d) They are instructed they may only stay without KKK regalia.
3. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(b) Reflecting on how he got off.
(c) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
(d) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
4. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
5. When the phone rings while Harry Rex and Jake are discussing legal matters on the morning before the trial, what happens?
(a) Jake ignores it, allowing it to ring before it finally stops.
(b) Jake angrily responds to a hate call and slams the phone down.
(c) Harry Rex humorously deflects a hate call aimed at Jake.
(d) Jake answers the call and advises the caller the line is tapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
2. In questioning jurors individually in chambers as to their position on the death penalty, one black male lies and is allowed to remain, and he later does what?
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
4. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
5. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)