|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
(a) He has always been siding with the state.
(b) He has never declared a black person "insane."
(c) He has some shady connections.
(d) He is reluctant to declare anyone "insane."
2. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean is not concerned.
(b) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(c) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
(d) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
3. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
(b) Drinks vodka.
(c) Listens to classical music.
(d) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
4. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will receive it all.
(b) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
(c) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(d) He will only receive half.
5. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
(a) Where she received her training.
(b) If she will report anything positive about Clanton.
(c) The source of her information.
(d) The makeup she is wearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
2. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
4. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
5. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)