|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
2. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(c) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
3. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
4. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He states he is doing the best he can.
(b) He remains silent.
(c) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
(d) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
5. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
(b) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(c) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(d) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
2. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
3. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
5. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)