|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(b) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(c) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(d) They might not indict.
2. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
(b) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
(c) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
(d) To get at least one black jury member.
3. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(b) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
(c) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
(d) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
4. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(b) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(c) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
5. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(b) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(c) An opportunity to earn money.
(d) As his ticket to the big time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
2. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
3. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
4. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
5. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)