|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) As his ticket to the big time.
(b) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(c) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(d) An opportunity to earn money.
2. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
(a) Bring in the NAACP.
(b) Initiate a fund and prayer vigil for the Hailey's.
(c) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and security for Hailey's home.
(d) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and bring in the NAACP.
3. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(c) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
4. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
(c) He orders pizza.
(d) He does some paperwork.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
2. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
3. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
4. Who is Rocky Childers?
5. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)