|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Join the KKK.
(b) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
2. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(c) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(d) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
3. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might not indict.
(b) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(c) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(d) They might find he was temporarily insane.
4. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(b) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(c) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
5. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Rufus Buckley.
(b) Ethel Twitty.
(c) Percy Bullard.
(d) Gwen Hailey.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
2. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
3. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
4. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
5. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)