|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
(b) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(c) Reflecting on how he got off.
(d) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
2. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
(a) He has never declared a black person "insane."
(b) He is reluctant to declare anyone "insane."
(c) He has some shady connections.
(d) He has always been siding with the state.
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(b) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(c) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(d) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
4. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) New parking meters are being installed.
(b) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
(c) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
(d) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
5. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 180 days to prepare.
(b) 90 days to prepare.
(c) 60 days to prepare.
(d) 120 days to prepare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
2. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
3. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
4. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
5. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)