|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) An opportunity to earn money.
(b) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(c) As his ticket to the big time.
(d) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
2. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
(a) He has some shady connections.
(b) He is reluctant to declare anyone "insane."
(c) He has never declared a black person "insane."
(d) He has always been siding with the state.
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(b) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(c) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(d) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
4. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(b) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(c) Reflecting on how he got off.
(d) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
5. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(b) Light a cigar.
(c) Have a cup of coffee.
(d) Play his harmonica.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
2. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
3. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
4. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
5. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)