|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
(a) Ault was rescued as a boy from a burning building by a black person.
(b) Ault was raised by a black "nanny" until he was in his early teens.
(c) Although a secret few knew, Ault's first girlfriend was black.
(d) Ault was rescued as a boy from drowning by a black person.
2. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) An opportunity to earn money.
(b) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(c) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(d) As his ticket to the big time.
3. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a cup of coffee.
(b) Play his harmonica.
(c) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(d) Light a cigar.
4. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
(a) Bud Twitty's.
(b) Gwem Hailey's.
(c) Ozzie Walls'.
(d) Reverend Agee's.
5. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(b) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(c) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(d) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
2. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
3. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
4. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)