|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
2. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
3. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What does Mrs. Davenant say about Wilton's choice in women?
5. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
2. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
3. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
6. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
7. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
8. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
9. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
10. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the main suspect in the murder of Harris? What does Rutledge think about the evidence he has gathered against this suspect? Does Scotland Yard support Rutledge's conclusions? Does Rutledge have the full support of his superiors at Scotland Yard? Explain. What could potentially happen to Ian Rutledge if he fails to solve this case in a satisfactory manner? Why do many people complain that Rutledge is taking too long to solve the case? Is he? How does Rutledge respond to this pressure?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)