Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
2. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
4. What is split personality?
5. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)