|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
3. What does Rutledge hear as he approaches the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
4. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
5. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
2. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
3. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
4. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
5. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
6. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
7. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
8. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
9. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
10. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Captain Mark Wilton? Who is his powerful friend? Why is Scotland Yard call in to investigate Wilton's possible role in Colonel Harris' murder? Who is Wilton engaged to marry? how does this present motive for murder? How does Wilton react to the investigation into his motives for murder? With whom does he have a fight the day before the murder? What does Wilton say about this fight? Why is he reluctant to discuss this fight with Rutledge?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
Essay Topic 3
How is Harris murdered? Where does Rutledge believe he has found the murder weapon? Where was Harris' body found? What does Rutledge find in the area where the body was found? How does this point Rutledge to a possible witness? Does this witness help Rutledge pinpoint the murderer? What does this witness prove about the murder in Rutledge's mind?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)