|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
2. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
3. Who does Lizzie Pinter look like, as pointed out by Hamish at the end of Chapter 18?
4. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
5. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
4. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
7. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
8. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
9. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
10. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)