|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
2. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
3. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
4. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
2. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
3. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
4. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
5. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
6. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
7. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
8. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
9. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
10. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the main suspect in the murder of Harris? What does Rutledge think about the evidence he has gathered against this suspect? Does Scotland Yard support Rutledge's conclusions? Does Rutledge have the full support of his superiors at Scotland Yard? Explain. What could potentially happen to Ian Rutledge if he fails to solve this case in a satisfactory manner? Why do many people complain that Rutledge is taking too long to solve the case? Is he? How does Rutledge respond to this pressure?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)