|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
2. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
5. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the main suspect in the murder of Harris? What does Rutledge think about the evidence he has gathered against this suspect? Does Scotland Yard support Rutledge's conclusions? Does Rutledge have the full support of his superiors at Scotland Yard? Explain. What could potentially happen to Ian Rutledge if he fails to solve this case in a satisfactory manner? Why do many people complain that Rutledge is taking too long to solve the case? Is he? How does Rutledge respond to this pressure?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)