|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
2. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What is the primary thought on Lettice Wood's mind in the end of Chapter 17?
4. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
2. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
3. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
4. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
5. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
6. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
7. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
8. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between each of the following characters in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton
2) Lettice Wood and Charles Harris
3) Mark Wilton and Charles Harris.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)