|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
2. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
3. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
4. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
5. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
3. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
4. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
5. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
6. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
7. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
8. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
9. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)