|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
2. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
3. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
4. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
5. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
2. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
3. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
4. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
5. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
6. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
7. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
8. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
9. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
10. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss each of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Point of view
3) Metaphor and symbolism
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)