|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
2. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
3. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
4. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
5. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
2. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
3. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
4. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
5. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
6. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
7. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
8. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
9. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
10. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
2) death and grief
3) romantic disappointments
4) mental instability.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)