|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
2. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
3. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
4. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
5. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
2. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
4. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
5. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
6. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
8. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
9. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Hamish McLeod? How did he die? How did this death cause Rutledge to have something of a mental break? Why does Rutledge often hear Hamish's voice in his head? How does this change the way Rutledge looks at the world and does his job? What does this say about Rutledge's mental state? What does it say about the way in which Rutledge deals with stress? What might happen is anyone learns the truth about Rutledge's mental state?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)