|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
2. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
3. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
4. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
5. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
2. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
3. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
6. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
7. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
8. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
10. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hamish McLeod? How did he die? How did this death cause Rutledge to have something of a mental break? Why does Rutledge often hear Hamish's voice in his head? How does this change the way Rutledge looks at the world and does his job? What does this say about Rutledge's mental state? What does it say about the way in which Rutledge deals with stress? What might happen is anyone learns the truth about Rutledge's mental state?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)