|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
2. What is Mrs. Davenant's opinion of the relationship between Catherine Tarrant and Rolf Linden?
3. Redfern did not want who treating him when he was in hospital during the war?
4. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
5. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
2. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
7. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
8. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
9. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
10. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)