|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
2. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
3. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
5. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
2. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
3. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
4. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
7. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the main suspect in the murder of Harris? What does Rutledge think about the evidence he has gathered against this suspect? Does Scotland Yard support Rutledge's conclusions? Does Rutledge have the full support of his superiors at Scotland Yard? Explain. What could potentially happen to Ian Rutledge if he fails to solve this case in a satisfactory manner? Why do many people complain that Rutledge is taking too long to solve the case? Is he? How does Rutledge respond to this pressure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between each of the following characters in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton
2) Lettice Wood and Charles Harris
3) Mark Wilton and Charles Harris.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)