|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
2. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
4. What is split personality?
5. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
2) death and grief
3) romantic disappointments
4) mental instability.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)