|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
2. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
3. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
4. How does Rutledge calm Lettice Wood after insulting her by implying she had a hand in the murder?
5. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
2. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
3. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
5. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
6. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
7. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
8. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
9. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
10. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Point of view
3) Metaphor and symbolism
Essay Topic 2
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is Harris murdered? Where does Rutledge believe he has found the murder weapon? Where was Harris' body found? What does Rutledge find in the area where the body was found? How does this point Rutledge to a possible witness? Does this witness help Rutledge pinpoint the murderer? What does this witness prove about the murder in Rutledge's mind?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)