|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
2. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
3. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
4. What is split personality?
5. What is Mrs. Davenant's opinion of the relationship between Catherine Tarrant and Rolf Linden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
2) death and grief
3) romantic disappointments
4) mental instability.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the main suspect in the murder of Harris? What does Rutledge think about the evidence he has gathered against this suspect? Does Scotland Yard support Rutledge's conclusions? Does Rutledge have the full support of his superiors at Scotland Yard? Explain. What could potentially happen to Ian Rutledge if he fails to solve this case in a satisfactory manner? Why do many people complain that Rutledge is taking too long to solve the case? Is he? How does Rutledge respond to this pressure?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)