|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
2. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
4. What is split personality?
5. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Captain Mark Wilton? Who is his powerful friend? Why is Scotland Yard call in to investigate Wilton's possible role in Colonel Harris' murder? Who is Wilton engaged to marry? how does this present motive for murder? How does Wilton react to the investigation into his motives for murder? With whom does he have a fight the day before the murder? What does Wilton say about this fight? Why is he reluctant to discuss this fight with Rutledge?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
Essay Topic 3
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)