|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
2. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
3. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
4. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
5. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
2. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
4. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
5. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
6. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
7. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
8. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
9. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
10. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Harris murdered? Where does Rutledge believe he has found the murder weapon? Where was Harris' body found? What does Rutledge find in the area where the body was found? How does this point Rutledge to a possible witness? Does this witness help Rutledge pinpoint the murderer? What does this witness prove about the murder in Rutledge's mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)