|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
2. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
3. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
4. Who does Lizzie Pinter look like, as pointed out by Hamish at the end of Chapter 18?
5. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
Essay Topic 3
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)