|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
2. What does Rutledge realize is the only evidence against Mark Wilton at the end of Chapter 14?
3. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
4. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
5. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
2. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
3. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
6. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
7. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
8. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Captain Mark Wilton? Who is his powerful friend? Why is Scotland Yard call in to investigate Wilton's possible role in Colonel Harris' murder? Who is Wilton engaged to marry? how does this present motive for murder? How does Wilton react to the investigation into his motives for murder? With whom does he have a fight the day before the murder? What does Wilton say about this fight? Why is he reluctant to discuss this fight with Rutledge?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail:
1) writing style
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)