Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
7. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hamish McLeod? How did he die? How did this death cause Rutledge to have something of a mental break? Why does Rutledge often hear Hamish's voice in his head? How does this change the way Rutledge looks at the world and does his job? What does this say about Rutledge's mental state? What does it say about the way in which Rutledge deals with stress? What might happen is anyone learns the truth about Rutledge's mental state?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)