|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
2. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
3. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
4. Who is Redfern?
5. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
2. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
3. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
4. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
5. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
6. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
7. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
9. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
10. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)