|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
3. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
4. Who is Agnes Farrell?
5. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
2. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
3. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
5. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
6. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
7. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
8. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
9. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
10. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)