|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a pension?
2. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
3. Who is Colonel Harris?
4. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
5. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
2. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
3. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
5. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
6. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
7. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
8. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
9. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Hamish McLeod? How did he die? How did this death cause Rutledge to have something of a mental break? Why does Rutledge often hear Hamish's voice in his head? How does this change the way Rutledge looks at the world and does his job? What does this say about Rutledge's mental state? What does it say about the way in which Rutledge deals with stress? What might happen is anyone learns the truth about Rutledge's mental state?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
2) death and grief
3) romantic disappointments
4) mental instability.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)