|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
2. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
3. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
4. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
2. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
3. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
4. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
7. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
8. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
9. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
10. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Captain Mark Wilton? Who is his powerful friend? Why is Scotland Yard call in to investigate Wilton's possible role in Colonel Harris' murder? Who is Wilton engaged to marry? how does this present motive for murder? How does Wilton react to the investigation into his motives for murder? With whom does he have a fight the day before the murder? What does Wilton say about this fight? Why is he reluctant to discuss this fight with Rutledge?
Essay Topic 3
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)