|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
2. What is a pension?
3. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
5. Who shows impatience in Chapter 7 to clear the murder investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
2. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
3. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
4. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
5. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
6. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
7. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
8. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
9. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
10. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)