|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a pension?
2. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
2. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
3. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
4. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
5. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
6. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
7. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
8. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
9. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ian Rutledge? Whose voice does he hear in his head? Why is he often surprised others cannot hear this voice? Why does Rutledge hear voices? Where has Rutledge been? What experience has caused Rutledge to hear this voice in his head? What was he before this experience? Who expects Rutledge to fail now that he has returned? Why? What does Rutledge think of his own chances of success in his current situation?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)