|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
7. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
This section contains 2,014 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)