Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
7. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships between each of the following characters in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton
2) Lettice Wood and Charles Harris
3) Mark Wilton and Charles Harris.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)