|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
2. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
3. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
4. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
5. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
3. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
6. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
7. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
8. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
9. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
10. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)