|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Colonel Harris?
2. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
3. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
4. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
2. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
3. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
4. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
5. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
6. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
7. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
8. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
9. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
10. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)