|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
2. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
5. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
2. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
3. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
4. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
5. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
6. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
7. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
8. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
9. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
10. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Point of view
3) Metaphor and symbolism
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hamish McLeod? How did he die? How did this death cause Rutledge to have something of a mental break? Why does Rutledge often hear Hamish's voice in his head? How does this change the way Rutledge looks at the world and does his job? What does this say about Rutledge's mental state? What does it say about the way in which Rutledge deals with stress? What might happen is anyone learns the truth about Rutledge's mental state?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)