|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
2. Who is Ian Rutledge?
3. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
4. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
5. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
2. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
3. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
4. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
5. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
7. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
8. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
9. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
10. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)