|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
2. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
3. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
4. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
5. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
2. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
4. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
5. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
6. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
7. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
8. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
9. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
10. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss irony. How many examples of irony are there in this novel? How is the death of Hamish McLeod filled with irony? Is this part of what causes Rutledge to become obsessed with Hamish? What is ironic about the change in relationship between Lettice and her guardian? What is ironic about Harris' death? How could Harris' death been prevented? How did Harris' death prevent the death of another character?
Essay Topic 3
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)