|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
2. Who is Lettice Wood?
3. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
4. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
5. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
2. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
3. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
4. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
7. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
8. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
9. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
10. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
2) death and grief
3) romantic disappointments
4) mental instability.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)