|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
2. Who is Laurence Royston?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
4. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
2. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
3. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
4. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
5. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
6. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
7. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
8. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
9. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
10. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)