|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motive does Lettice Wood suggest Catherine Tarrant might have had to kill the murder victim?
2. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
3. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
5. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
2. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
3. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
4. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
6. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
7. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
8. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
9. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
10. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lizzie Pinter? Why is she traumatized? What does the doctor think of her condition? What does he do to help her? What does Rutledge find of Lizzie's in the meadow where Harris' body was found? What does Rutledge think Lizzie saw in the meadow? How does this change Rutledge's assumptions about the murder?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)