|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
2. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
3. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
4. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
5. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
2. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
3. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
4. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
6. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
7. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
8. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
9. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
10. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following characters and their motives for murder in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,946 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)