|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
2. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
2. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
3. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
4. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
5. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
6. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
7. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
9. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
10. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between each of the following characters in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton
2) Lettice Wood and Charles Harris
3) Mark Wilton and Charles Harris.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)