|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
2. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
3. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
4. Who is Sally Davenant?
5. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
2. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
3. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
4. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
5. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
6. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
7. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
8. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
9. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is split personality? What causes it? Who in this novel suffers split personality? How did it come about? What trauma brought it on? What are the personalities in this fractured person's mind? How does this character deal with this? Why does this character take an ax to Royston? Why does this character kill him/herself? What confession does this character make before dying?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)