|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
2. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
3. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
4. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
5. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
3. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
5. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
6. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
7. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
8. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
9. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
10. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lettice Wood? What is her condition the first time Rutledge interviews her? Why does this cause Rutledge to believe Lettice is hiding something? What kind of answers does Lettice give to Rutledge's many questions? Why does Rutledge find himself routinely returning to talk to Lettice? Who does Lettice remind Rutledge of? What information about her relationship to Harris does Lettice finally reveal to Rutledge that takes away Wilton's motive for murder? How is this information a sad turn for Rutledge in comparison to his own experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What does Lettice reveal about her relationship with Harris? How did this changing relationship lead to a fight between Harris and Lettice? Harris and Wilton? How could this argument have been motive for murder? Is it? Why does Lettice fail to tell this story to Rutledge until late in the novel? What is Lettice trying to hide? Has Lettice done something wrong? Has Harris? What might the public have though had this truth come out more publicly?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)