|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
3. Where is Scotland Yard?
4. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
5. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
2. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
3. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
4. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
5. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
6. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
7. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
8. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
9. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Point of view
3) Metaphor and symbolism
Essay Topic 2
Who is Helena Sommers? What is her connection to the murder of Harris? When does Rutledge meet Maggie Sommers? What kind of animal to the Sommers' sister keep in their yard? What is unusual about this? Where does Rutledge often see Helena Sommers? Has Rutledge ever seen the Sommers' sisters together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mavers? Why do the people of the village immediately point to Mavers as the chief suspect in Harris' death? Why have Mavers and Harris had a falling out? What has this done to Mavers' life? is Mavers fair in his assessment of Harris? Who pays Mavers' pension? Why is everyone in the village surprised to learn this fact late in the novel? What does this say about Mavers' motive for murder?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)