|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
2. Who is Laurence Royston?
3. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
4. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
2. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
3. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
4. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
5. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
6. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
7. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
8. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
9. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
10. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is shell shock? Who experiences shell shock in this novel? What symptoms of shell shock does each character experience in the novel? What is the modern equivalent of shell shock? How does shell shock influence or take away from the investigation into Harris' murder? How has shell shock have the power to ruin the reputation of a main character of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Davenant? How is she related to Wilton? What did Mrs. Davenant do during the war? How does this suggest to the reader that she is in love with Wilton? Is she? What evidence does she give to Rutledge regarding Wilton's relationship with Lettice Wood? How does this give Rutledge motive on Wilton's part for murder? Is Mrs. Davenant attempting to protect or prosecute Wilton?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Colonel Charles Harris? How was he murdered? What does Rutledge quickly learn about Harris' background when he arrives in the village? What did the villagers thinks of Harris? Does this influence Rutledge's opinions of Harris? Why does Rutledge have trouble identifying with Harris? Is this important to Rutledge's investigation? For what reason?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)