|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He cries.
(c) He mocks it.
(d) He admires it.
2. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
(a) To fight to have him fired from Scotland Yard.
(b) To fight him in court.
(c) To have his friends beat him up.
(d) To have him arrested for defamation of character.
3. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(a) A motive.
(d) A murder weapon.
4. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Lettice Wood is open to courting with him.
(b) Royston accused him of the murder.
(c) Harris paid his pension, but it will not continue.
(d) Mrs. Davenant has offered him a job.
5. What is split personality?
(a) When an emotionally traumatized person creates a separate personality to deal with pain.
(b) When a person has such emotional trauma that his personality changes dramatically.
(c) When a person suffers a disfiguring trauma that changes their outlook on life.
(d) When a person shows one personality to the public and one at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
2. Who was the first to suggest calling off the wedding between Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton?
3. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
4. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
2. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
3. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
4. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
5. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
7. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
8. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
9. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
10. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)