|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
(b) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(c) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(d) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
2. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Lettice Wood.
3. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To learn if he could have slipped away.
(b) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
(c) To verify his alibi.
(d) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
4. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She hugs Rutledge.
(c) She screams.
(d) She tells about seeing a dead body.
5. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
(a) Lettice Wood told him it was not serious.
(b) Harris walked with her in the garden immediately afterward.
(c) Lettice Wood was happy a few days later.
(d) Harris told him it was just a lover's tiff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
2. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
3. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
4. How does Rutledge calm Lettice Wood after insulting her by implying she had a hand in the murder?
5. What is an inquest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
2. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
3. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
5. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
6. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
7. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
9. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
10. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)