|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He believes the traumatized child saw the real killer and it was not Wilton.
(b) He believes Dr. Warren had more motive.
(c) He believes he is missing something.
(d) He believes Mavers is guilty.
2. What does Rutledge realize is the only evidence against Mark Wilton at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) A child, a cut tire, and a drunk.
(b) A child, a doll, and a drunk.
(c) A spurned woman, a child, and a drunk.
3. For whom did Mavers' father work?
(a) Colonel Harris.
(b) The Haldanes.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Mr. Davenant.
4. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) A bloody shirt front.
(b) His smiling face as she last saw it.
(c) A bloody mass of flesh.
(d) His mangled body.
5. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
(a) The meadow.
(b) The Inn.
(c) The town square.
(d) The Haldane property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
2. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
4. What is an inquest?
5. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
2. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
3. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
6. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
7. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
8. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
9. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
10. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)