|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
(a) Catherine Tarrant's grudge against herself and her guardian.
(b) Her final evening with her guardian.
(c) Wilton's motive for murder.
(d) Mavers' motive for murder.
2. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
(a) It proves Harris was shot in the town square, pointing to Mavers.
(b) It proves Harris could not have fought with Wilton in the lane.
(c) It proves Harris was killed elsewhere, clearing Wilton.
(d) It changes nothing.
3. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Daniel Hickam.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Dr. Warren.
4. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
(b) Coveting your neighbor.
(c) Making the best of one's short life.
(d) The sin of murder.
5. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(b) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(c) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
(d) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
2. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
3. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
4. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
5. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
2. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
5. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
6. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
7. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
8. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
9. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
10. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)