|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
(b) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(c) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(d) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
2. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
(a) Being in love with Rutledge.
(b) Being in love with Mavers.
(c) Being in love with Harris.
(d) Being in love with Mark Harris.
3. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
4. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
(b) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
(c) All she owes Wilton.
(d) Revenge for the death of her lover.
5. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To verify his alibi.
(b) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
(c) To learn if he could have slipped away.
(d) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
2. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
3. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
4. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
2. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
3. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
4. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
6. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
7. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
8. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
9. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
10. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)