|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Fight for his reputation.
(b) Fight for his sister's love.
(c) Fight for his sanity.
(d) Fight for his fiancee.
2. What motive does Wilton have for murdering Harris?
(b) A title.
(c) Lettice Wood.
3. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(b) In the lane.
(c) In the village square.
(d) In the meadow where the body was found.
4. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
(a) It proves Harris could not have fought with Wilton in the lane.
(b) It proves Harris was killed elsewhere, clearing Wilton.
(c) It proves Harris was shot in the town square, pointing to Mavers.
(d) It changes nothing.
5. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Sergeant Davies.
(b) Inspector Forrest.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Mark Wilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
2. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
3. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
4. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
5. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
2. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
3. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
4. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
5. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
6. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
8. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
9. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
10. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)