|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
2. What is the primary thought on Lettice Wood's mind in the end of Chapter 17?
(a) A wish to turn back time.
(b) A hope that Mark will come see her.
(c) A wish that she had killed Harris in a different style.
(d) A hope that the investigation will be over soon.
3. Where does Rutledge go to speak to Wilton in the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) Mrs. Davenant's.
(b) The Haldanes.
(d) The Inn.
4. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) Signs of a struggle.
(b) Possible location of a witness.
(c) The sequence of events.
(d) The marks of the bullet's path.
5. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
(a) To keep busy while waiting for word on her cousin.
(b) To help her country.
(c) To help her fellow villagers.
(d) To find a new husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
2. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
3. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
4. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
5. What is Mrs. Davenant's opinion of the relationship between Catherine Tarrant and Rolf Linden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
2. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
3. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
4. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
5. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
6. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
7. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
8. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
9. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
10. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)