|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wilton continuously refuse to answer each time Rutledge asks?
(a) What his relationship with Lettice Wood is truly like.
(b) What his relationship with his cousin is.
(c) Why he broke up with Catherine Tarrant.
(d) What his fight with the murder victim was about.
2. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) Arranging the difficult funeral for a headless corpse.
(b) Keeping his cousin from a nervous breakdown.
(c) Attending numerous will readings for the murdered man.
(d) Cancelling his wedding plans.
3. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) It helps him deal with Hamish.
(b) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
(c) He enjoys ritual.
(d) He is a highly religious man.
4. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
(b) About a man with a shotgun.
(c) About a woman with a shotgun.
(d) About a man on a horse.
5. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(b) He was on his way into the village.
(c) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(d) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge wake Lettice in the middle of the night in the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
4. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
5. Where does Rutledge go to speak to Wilton in the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
2. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
3. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
4. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
5. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
6. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
7. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
8. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
9. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
10. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)