|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
(b) His sister.
2. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
(b) It helps him deal with Hamish.
(c) He enjoys ritual.
(d) He is a highly religious man.
3. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
(a) References to non-existent people.
(b) References to the war.
4. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
5. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
(b) Mr. Davenant.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
2. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
3. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
4. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
5. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
4. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
5. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
6. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
7. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
8. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
9. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
10. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)