|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
(b) His sister.
2. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Laurence Royston.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Hamish McLeod.
3. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) The sequence of events.
(b) The marks of the bullet's path.
(c) Possible location of a witness.
(d) Signs of a struggle.
4. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He believes Dr. Warren had more motive.
(b) He believes he is missing something.
(c) He believes Mavers is guilty.
(d) He believes the traumatized child saw the real killer and it was not Wilton.
5. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(b) In the village square.
(c) In the lane.
(d) In the meadow where the body was found.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark Wilton spend the end of Chapter 17 doing?
2. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
3. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
5. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
3. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
4. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
6. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
7. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
8. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
9. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
10. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)