|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rutledge go to speak to Wilton in the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The Inn.
(b) The Haldanes.
(d) Mrs. Davenant's.
2. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
3. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
(b) Making the best of one's short life.
(c) The sin of murder.
(d) Coveting your neighbor.
4. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
(a) Why would Harris call off her wedding?
(b) Who murdered Harris?
(c) What did Wilton know about Harris' business deals?
(d) What did Harris think of Wilton?
5. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
(a) It proves Harris could not have fought with Wilton in the lane.
(b) It proves Harris was killed elsewhere, clearing Wilton.
(c) It proves Harris was shot in the town square, pointing to Mavers.
(d) It changes nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
2. Redfern did not want who treating him when he was in hospital during the war?
3. What makes Lettice Wood decide Mark Wilton could not have killed her guardian?
4. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
5. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
2. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
3. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
5. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
6. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
7. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
8. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
9. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
10. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)