|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
2. For whom did Mavers' father work?
(a) The Haldanes.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Colonel Harris.
(d) Mr. Davenant.
3. Who does Rutledge think he sees in the garden at the Inn while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
4. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She tells about seeing a dead body.
(b) She hugs Rutledge.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She screams.
5. Who does Rutledge ask for an opinion about the murder case in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Captain Wilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
3. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
4. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
5. Redfern did not want who treating him when he was in hospital during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
2. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
3. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
4. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
5. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
6. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
7. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
8. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
9. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
10. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)