|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first to suggest calling off the wedding between Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Colonel Harris.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) A week.
3. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) A bloody mass of flesh.
(b) A bloody shirt front.
(c) His smiling face as she last saw it.
(d) His mangled body.
4. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
5. What motive does Wilton have for murdering Harris?
(a) A title.
(c) Lettice Wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
2. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
3. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
4. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
5. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
2. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
3. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
4. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. Why does Rutledge agree in Chapter 18 to delay his arrest of Captain Wilton until after the funeral?
7. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
8. What does Rutledge fear will happen should he arrest Captain Wilton for the murder of Colonel Harris?
9. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
10. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)