|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
(a) The King of England.
(b) The American President.
(c) The German Dictator.
(d) The Russian Czar.
2. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
3. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
4. What is an inquest?
(a) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
(b) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
(c) A murder investigation.
(d) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
5. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
(a) To keep busy while waiting for word on her cousin.
(b) To help her fellow villagers.
(c) To find a new husband.
(d) To help her country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
2. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
3. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
4. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
5. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
2. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
3. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
4. How does Rutledge react when Catherine Tarrant shows him a portrait of her German lover in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
6. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
7. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
8. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)