|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Hamish McLeod.
(b) Laurence Royston.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Lettice Wood.
2. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) He mocks it.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He cries.
(d) He admires it.
3. For whom did Mavers' father work?
(a) The Haldanes.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Mr. Davenant.
(d) Colonel Harris.
4. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(a) A motive.
(b) A murder weapon.
5. What motive does Wilton have for murdering Harris?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) A title.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge realize about Maggie Sommers as he approaches her home the day of the funeral?
2. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
3. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
4. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
5. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
2. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
4. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
5. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
6. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
7. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
8. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
9. Who tells Lettice Wood that he once was involved in a car accident that resulted in a child's death in a way to comfort her in her grief?
10. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)