|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
2. Why does Rutledge wake Lettice in the middle of the night in the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) He knows who killed Harris and wants to test his theory.
(b) He wants Lettice to tell him what kind of guns Wilton knows how to use.
(c) He is in need of comfort and information.
(d) He needs Lettice to confirm what Harris was wearing the morning he died.
3. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
(a) A shotgun blast to his face.
(b) A gun shot wound in the leg.
(c) A badly cut shoulder.
(d) A knife wound to the belly.
4. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) He admires it.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He cries.
(d) He mocks it.
5. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(a) A motive.
(c) A murder weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
2. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
4. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
5. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
5. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
6. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
7. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
8. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
9. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
10. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)