|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) All she owes Wilton.
(b) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
(c) Revenge for the death of her lover.
(d) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
2. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Lettice Wood.
3. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
(b) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(c) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(d) He was on his way into the village.
4. What is the primary thought on Lettice Wood's mind in the end of Chapter 17?
(a) A wish that she had killed Harris in a different style.
(b) A hope that the investigation will be over soon.
(c) A wish to turn back time.
(d) A hope that Mark will come see her.
5. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Fishing for information.
(b) Forcing her to admit to something she did not do.
(c) Acting on desperation.
(d) Implying an affair where none existed.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Mavers' father work?
2. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
3. What is split personality?
4. Redfern did not want who treating him when he was in hospital during the war?
5. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)