|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
(b) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(c) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(d) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
2. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Mr. Davenant.
(c) Lettice Wood.
3. Redfern did not want who treating him when he was in hospital during the war?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Sally Davenant.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
4. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
(a) A chance to give him one last kiss.
(b) A chance to lay a rose with his body.
(c) A chance to bury him with the rosary he held so dear.
(d) A chance to say goodbye.
5. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
(a) That he is slow in solving it.
(b) That he should look elsewhere for the killer.
(c) That he is progressing faster than expected.
(d) That he should look closely at Wilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
2. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
4. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
5. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)