|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The funeral arrangements.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) The canceled wedding.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
2. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He believes Dr. Warren had more motive.
(b) He believes the traumatized child saw the real killer and it was not Wilton.
(c) He believes he is missing something.
(d) He believes Mavers is guilty.
4. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Plead guilty to a crime he did not commit.
(c) Commit another murder.
(d) Run away.
5. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Helena Sommers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
2. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
3. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
4. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
5. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
2. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
5. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
6. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
7. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
8. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
9. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
10. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)