|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
2. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(b) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(c) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(d) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
3. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) Possible location of a witness.
(b) The marks of the bullet's path.
(c) Signs of a struggle.
(d) The sequence of events.
4. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
(a) If he has ever been in love.
(b) If he understands the mentality of suicide.
(c) If he hears voices in his head.
(d) If he is in love with her.
5. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary thought on Lettice Wood's mind in the end of Chapter 17?
2. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
3. What does Wilton continuously refuse to answer each time Rutledge asks?
4. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
5. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
2. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react to her father physically attacking Rutledge in Chapter 18?
4. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
5. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
6. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
7. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
8. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
9. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
10. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)