|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(c) Lettice Wood.
2. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
(a) The funeral.
(b) The Inn.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The hospital.
3. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) It helps him deal with Hamish.
(b) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
(c) He is a highly religious man.
(d) He enjoys ritual.
4. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mrs. Davenant.
5. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(b) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
(c) He was on his way into the village.
(d) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
2. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
3. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
4. Who objects loudly to Rutledge's decision to postpone arresting Wilton?
5. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
2. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
3. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
4. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
5. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
6. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
7. What does Rutledge reveal in the beginning of Chapter 19 that he believes happened in the meadow the morning of the murder?
8. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
9. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
10. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)