|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge wake Lettice in the middle of the night in the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) He knows who killed Harris and wants to test his theory.
(b) He needs Lettice to confirm what Harris was wearing the morning he died.
(c) He is in need of comfort and information.
(d) He wants Lettice to tell him what kind of guns Wilton knows how to use.
2. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(b) A motive.
(c) A murder weapon.
3. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
(b) To verify his alibi.
(c) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
(d) To learn if he could have slipped away.
5. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
(a) The child Royston killed in a plane crash.
(b) Royston's love child.
(c) Royston's lover.
(d) The girl Royston killed in his car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
2. What motive does Wilton have for murdering Harris?
3. What is Mrs. Davenant's opinion of the relationship between Catherine Tarrant and Rolf Linden?
4. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
5. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
2. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
3. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
4. In Chapter 16, Rutledge learns that Harris ate lunch at the inn often. What is unusual about Harris' lunch the Tuesday before his death?
5. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
6. Why does Bowles claim Scotland Yard cannot support Rutledge if he arrests Captain Wilton without strong evidence in Chapter 18?
7. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
8. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
9. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
10. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)