|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(c) Helena Sommers.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
(a) A week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) A month.
3. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) Cancelling his wedding plans.
(b) Attending numerous will readings for the murdered man.
(c) Arranging the difficult funeral for a headless corpse.
(d) Keeping his cousin from a nervous breakdown.
4. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) A bloody shirt front.
(b) His mangled body.
(c) His smiling face as she last saw it.
(d) A bloody mass of flesh.
5. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
(a) Mr. Davenant.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
2. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
3. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
4. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
5. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge say in Chapter 12 that causes Lettice Wood to become angry with him? How does Rutledge respond to this anger?
2. Why does Rutledge go to the Sommers' home the morning of the funeral?
3. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
4. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
5. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
6. Who does Rutledge learn was a nurse during the war? What does this say about this particular character?
7. Who does Rutledge ask to find the owner of the doll in Chapter 13?
8. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
9. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
10. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)