|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
(a) Being in love with Mavers.
(b) Being in love with Mark Harris.
(c) Being in love with Rutledge.
(d) Being in love with Harris.
2. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Fight for his sister's love.
(b) Fight for his fiancee.
(c) Fight for his sanity.
(d) Fight for his reputation.
4. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
5. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) Attending numerous will readings for the murdered man.
(b) Cancelling his wedding plans.
(c) Arranging the difficult funeral for a headless corpse.
(d) Keeping his cousin from a nervous breakdown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
2. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
3. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
4. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
5. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)