|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(b) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
(c) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(d) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
2. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Inspector Forrest.
(c) Mr. Davenant.
(d) Captain Wilton.
3. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a dining room.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In a bedroom.
4. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men without titles.
(b) Wealthy men.
(c) Working men.
(d) Men with titles.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' brother.
(b) Mavers' cousin.
(c) Mavers' father.
(d) Mavers' sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Redfern?
2. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
3. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
5. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
2. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
3. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
4. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
5. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
6. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
7. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
8. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
9. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
10. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)