|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(b) Cut out letters.
2. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(b) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(c) They will solve the case within a few days.
(d) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
3. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Haldanes.
(b) The Warrens.
(c) The Davenants.
(d) The Harrises.
4. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
(a) Warwickshire, England.
(b) York, England.
(c) East Hampton, England.
(d) Weltonshire, England.
5. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Lying drunk on the ground.
(b) Arguing with Mavers.
(c) Directing traffic as though he is still in France.
(d) Stealing bread from the inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood?
2. Who is Redfern?
3. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
4. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
5. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
2. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
3. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
4. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
5. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
6. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
7. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
8. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
9. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
10. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)