|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) Her eyes are two different colors.
(b) Her nose is long and straight.
(c) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(d) She carries a book of spells.
2. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(b) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(c) A musician he has seen in concert.
(d) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
3. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(b) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(c) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(d) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
4. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Sergeant Davies.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
5. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
(b) German soldier.
(c) Murder victim.
(d) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
2. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
3. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
4. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
5. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Who is missing at the funeral in Chapter 20?
4. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
7. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
8. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
9. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
10. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)