|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(b) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
2. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Sergeant Davies.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
3. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(b) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(c) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(d) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
4. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is shy and reserved.
(b) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(c) She is outgoing and confident.
(d) She is promiscuous and flirty.
5. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sally Davenant?
2. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
4. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
5. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
2. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
3. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
4. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
6. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
7. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
8. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
9. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)