|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A bicycle accident.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A boating accident.
(d) A plane crash.
2. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(b) Payment for services rendered.
(c) Insurance payments.
(d) Payment for war veterans.
3. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(b) Cut out letters.
4. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To hide her true feelings.
(b) To protect Rutledge.
(c) To avoid gossip.
(d) To protect Wilton.
5. Who is Lettice Wood?
(a) Harris' cousin.
(b) Harris' daughter.
(c) Harris' fiancee.
(d) Harris' ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
2. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
3. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
4. Who is Laurence Royston?
5. Who is Redfern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
2. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
3. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
4. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
6. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
7. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
8. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
9. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
10. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)