|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
(a) She is beautiful but he can never have her.
(b) She is more courageous than his former fiancee Jean.
(c) She reminds him of his mother.
(d) She will not answer his questions.
2. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Davenants.
(b) The Warrens.
(c) The Haldanes.
(d) The Harrises.
3. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A canister of poison.
(d) A pistol.
4. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
(a) Colonel Harris.
(b) A family called Warren.
(c) A family called Haldanes.
(d) Captain Wilton.
5. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
(a) He insists there are none.
(b) He refers Rutledge to Lettice Wood.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He gives a list of names.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
2. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
3. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
4. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
5. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
2. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
3. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
4. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
7. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
8. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
9. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
10. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)