|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
(a) Refused to follow a direct order.
(b) He killed another soldier in their squad.
(c) Refused to leave the battlefield.
(d) He tried to kill Rutledge.
2. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) Her nose is long and straight.
(c) She carries a book of spells.
(d) Her eyes are two different colors.
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(b) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(c) To be close to his cousin.
(d) To get away from killing.
4. With whom does Rutledge learn in Chapter 2 the murder victim fought the night before his death?
(a) Lettice Wood.
5. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather work in the fields.
(b) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
(c) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(d) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
2. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
3. What is the Victoria Cross?
4. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
5. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
2. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
3. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
4. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
5. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
6. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
7. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
8. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
9. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
10. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)