|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
2. Who is Redfern?
(a) The ward of the murder victim.
(b) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(c) Rutledge's assistant.
(d) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
3. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(b) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(c) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(d) A musician he has seen in concert.
4. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They will solve the case within a few days.
(b) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(c) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(d) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
5. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Kidney disease.
(b) Alcohol poisoning.
(c) Liver disease.
(d) A head injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood?
2. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
4. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
5. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
2. What comment does Royston make about the murder in Chapter 13?
3. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
4. Why does Rutledge attend church in Chapter 15? What happens afterward?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. What new information does Rutledge get when he is finally able to interview Hickam in Chapter 15?
7. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
8. What major regret does Lettice Wood confess she has in the death of her guardian?
9. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
10. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)