|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
2. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(d) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' cousin.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' sister.
4. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(b) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
(c) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(d) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
5. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(b) Reading the evidence.
(c) Concentrating on testimony.
(d) Understanding the method of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
2. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
3. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
5. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
2. Why does Rutledge question women in the village square in Chapter 14 about Mavers' alibi?
3. Why does Catherine Tarrant admit she paid Hickam after the murder?
4. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
5. What does Lettice Wood say about her thoughts on Wilton's possible motives for murder?
6. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
7. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
8. What does Lettice Wood reveal to Rutledge in Chapter 19 after he wakes her in the middle of the night?
9. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
10. Who is Lettice Wood surprised to learn was the source of Mavers' pension?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)