|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(b) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(c) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(d) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
2. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Sergeant Davies.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
3. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
4. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(b) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
(c) A poor veteran of World War I.
(d) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
5. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(b) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(c) They will solve the case within a few days.
(d) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
2. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
3. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
4. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
5. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
2. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
3. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
4. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
5. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
6. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
7. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
8. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
9. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
10. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)