|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To avoid gossip.
(c) To hide her true feelings.
(d) To protect Wilton.
2. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mrs. Davanent.
3. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A canister of poison.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
4. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
(b) She thought he was annoying.
(c) He is kind and had no enemies.
(d) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
5. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for war veterans.
(b) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(c) Payment for services rendered.
(d) Insurance payments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
2. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
3. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
4. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
5. Who is Lettice Wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
2. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
3. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
4. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
6. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
7. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
8. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
9. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
10. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)