|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person limited.
2. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(b) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(c) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(d) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
3. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a poison.
(b) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(c) With a knife.
(d) With a gunshot to the breast.
4. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) German soldier.
(b) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
(c) Murder victim.
(d) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
5. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a dining room.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In a meadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
2. What motive does Lettice Wood suggest Catherine Tarrant might have had to kill the murder victim?
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
4. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
5. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
2. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
3. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
4. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
5. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
7. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
8. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
9. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
10. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)