|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) Her eyes are two different colors.
(c) Her nose is long and straight.
(d) She carries a book of spells.
2. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(b) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(c) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(d) A musician he has seen in concert.
3. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(c) Cut out letters.
4. Who is Redfern?
(a) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
(b) Rutledge's assistant.
(c) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(d) The ward of the murder victim.
5. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Captain Wilton.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Mr. Davenant.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
3. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
5. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
2. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
3. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
4. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
6. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
7. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
8. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
9. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)