|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Understanding the method of death.
(b) Reading the evidence.
(c) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(d) Concentrating on testimony.
2. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
(a) A notorized note from his mother saying he was doing chores for her that morning.
(b) An affidavit from the innkeeper swearing Mavers was sleeping in one of his rooms.
(c) The testimony of Mavers' wife claiming he was at home that morning.
(d) A list of people who saw him making a speech in the town square.
3. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
(b) A type of pocket watch.
(c) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(d) An award given to pilots in World War I.
4. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(b) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(c) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(d) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
5. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(d) Colonel Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
2. What is the point of view of this novel?
3. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
5. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
2. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
4. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
5. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
6. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
7. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
8. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
9. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)