|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A medal.
(b) His resignation.
(c) A promotion.
(d) A raise.
2. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
3. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have all they ever wanted.
(b) When they have nothing to lose.
(c) When they know they have justice on their side.
(d) When they have all the money they could need.
4. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mrs. Davenant.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' brother.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
2. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
4. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
5. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
3. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
4. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
5. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
6. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Mrs. Davenant urge Captain Wilton to visit Lettice Wood at Mallows?
8. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
9. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
10. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)