|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from London.
(b) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(c) Someone from Germany.
(d) Someone from Paris.
2. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(b) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(c) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(d) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
4. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
(b) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
(c) He is kind and had no enemies.
(d) She thought he was annoying.
5. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
2. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
3. Who is Colonel Harris?
4. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
5. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
2. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
3. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
4. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
5. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
6. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
7. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
8. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
9. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
10. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)