Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' mother.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' sister.
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
(a) Harris' butler.
(b) Harris' man of business.
(c) Harris' cousin.
(d) Harris' best friend.
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
2. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
5. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
2. What does Rutledge discover in Chapter 20 when he goes into Helena Sommers' bedroom the morning of the funeral?
3. Why does Rutledge questions Mrs. Davenant about the pension Mavers' receives in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Rutledge find himself continuously drawn as he continues to investigate the murder of Harris?
5. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
6. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
7. Why does the author switch point of view in a series of vignettes at the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
9. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)