|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A plane crash.
(b) A boating accident.
(c) A bicycle accident.
(d) A car accident.
2. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) Alcohol poisoning.
(c) A head injury.
(d) Kidney disease.
3. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Rev. Carfield.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Laurence Royston.
(d) Dr. Warren.
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(b) Cut out letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
2. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Who shows impatience in Chapter 7 to clear the murder investigation?
4. Who is Sally Davenant?
5. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
2. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
3. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
4. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
5. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
6. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
7. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
8. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
9. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
10. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)