|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' brother.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' cousin.
2. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(b) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
(c) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(d) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
3. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
4. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
5. Who is Ian Rutledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
2. In what condition does Rutledge find the owner of the doll he found in Chapter 12 in the meadow where Harris' body was found?
3. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
5. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
6. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
7. Who killed Colonel Charles Harris?
8. Why does Rutledge interview the two women of ill-repute who live on the lane?
9. What information does Mrs. Davenant give Rutledge about Wilton in Chapter 11 that could provide a motive for murder?
10. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)