|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Persons unknown.
2. Who is Lettice Wood?
(a) Harris' ward.
(b) Harris' fiancee.
(c) Harris' daughter.
(d) Harris' cousin.
3. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have all the money they could need.
(b) When they have nothing to lose.
(c) When they know they have justice on their side.
(d) When they have all they ever wanted.
4. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
5. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Why does Rutledge return to Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
3. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
4. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
5. With whom does Rutledge learn in Chapter 2 the murder victim fought the night before his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
2. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
4. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
6. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
7. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
8. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
9. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
10. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)