|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(b) Insurance payments.
(c) Payment for war veterans.
(d) Payment for services rendered.
2. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A poor veteran of World War I.
(d) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
3. Who is Lettice Wood?
(a) Harris' daughter.
(b) Harris' ward.
(c) Harris' cousin.
(d) Harris' fiancee.
4. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She does not know who committed the murder.
(b) She is the one who committed the murder.
(c) She knows who committed the murder.
(d) She does not care who committed the murder.
5. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(b) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(c) They will solve the case within a few days.
(d) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
2. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
3. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
5. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
3. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
4. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
5. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
7. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
8. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
9. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
10. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)