|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(a) Colonel Harris.
(c) Captain Mark Wilton.
2. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(b) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(d) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
3. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for services rendered.
(b) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(c) Payment for war veterans.
(d) Insurance payments.
4. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
5. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) Her eyes are two different colors.
(c) Her nose is long and straight.
(d) She carries a book of spells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
2. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
3. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
5. Who shows impatience in Chapter 7 to clear the murder investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
2. Who do the servants at Harris' estate tell Rutledge were fighting the night before Harris' murder?
3. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
4. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
5. Why does Catherine Tarrant seek out Rutledge in chapter 5?
6. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
7. What skill does Rutledge fear he has lost in his experiences in the war?
8. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
9. Who is Helena Sommers? What is unusual about her living arrangements?
10. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)