|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
(a) He is cold.
(b) He is crazy.
(c) He is good at his job.
(d) He is goodlooking.
2. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Working men.
(b) Men without titles.
(c) Wealthy men.
(d) Men with titles.
3. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a dining room.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In a meadow.
4. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Third person limited.
5. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(d) She is shy and reserved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
2. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
4. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
5. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Scotland Yard called in to investigate the murder of Colonel Harris?
2. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
3. What does Mavers lecture about in public that expresses his unhappiness with the aristocracy in England and particularly Colonel Harris?
4. What is revealed when the author switches point of views at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Why does Wilton refuse to answer questions about Catherine Tarrant? What does he chose to talk about instead?
6. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
7. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
8. In Chapter 9, what does Dr. Warren believe is wrong with Lizzie Pinter?
9. Why does Royston tell Rutledge he once borrowed money from Colonel Harris?
10. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)