|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(b) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(c) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(d) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
2. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A pig.
(d) A goose.
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
(b) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(c) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(d) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
5. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
(a) An affidavit from the innkeeper swearing Mavers was sleeping in one of his rooms.
(b) A list of people who saw him making a speech in the town square.
(c) The testimony of Mavers' wife claiming he was at home that morning.
(d) A notorized note from his mother saying he was doing chores for her that morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
2. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
3. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
4. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
5. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
2. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
3. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
4. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
5. What does Rutledge note as odd in Wilton's behavior toward Lettice in the aftermath of Harris' murder?
6. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
7. What does Rutledge learn about Catherine Tarrant that might provide motive for her to kill Harris?
8. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
9. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
10. What does Rutledge feel is unusual about the position in which the body of Colonel Harris was found?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)