|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a knife.
(b) With a gunshot to the breast.
(c) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(d) With a poison.
2. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A promotion.
(b) A medal.
(c) His resignation.
(d) A raise.
3. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
(a) He was a true proper English gentleman.
(b) He was a murder waiting to happen.
(c) He was a good soldier.
(d) He was an arrogant fool.
4. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(b) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
(c) He cannot understand the women in the case.
(d) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' father.
(b) Mavers' mother.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
2. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
3. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
4. Who is Ian Rutledge?
5. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rutledge see that causes the voice of Hamish to become quite loud for a moment?
2. Who is the prime suspect as supported by the evidence in Chapter 10?
3. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
4. What does Wilton deny doing the morning of the murder that goes directly against eye witness testimony?
5. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
6. Who does Rutledge learn that Catherine Tarrant blamed for the death of her German lover?
7. What is ironic about the death of Hamish McLeod as described in Chapter 9?
8. Who is Daniel Hickam? Why is he not considered a reliable witness in the murder of Colonel Charles Harris?
9. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
10. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)