|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
2. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(b) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(c) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(d) Maggie Sommers and a child.
3. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) The child of a local aristocrat.
(b) A woman of ill repute.
(c) A coal miner.
(d) A village farmer's wife.
4. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
5. Why does Rutledge return to Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) To ask if she has any new information in the murder.
(b) To ask if she saw Wilton carrying anything the day of the murder.
(c) To ask her to dinner.
(d) To ask if she saw the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a pension?
2. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
3. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
5. Who is Colonel Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hamish McLeod? What is his connection to Rutledge?
2. Why does Rutledge have Davies check the railroad for out of town visitors the day of the murder?
3. Why does Dr. Warren claim he felt it necessary to sedate Lettice Wood after the death of her guardian?
4. What has happened to Hickman in Chapter 7 that angers Rutledge?
5. Who does Rutledge give money to at the end of Chapter 6? For what reason?
6. What does Rutledge find unusual about Lettice Wood's manner in Chapter 2?
7. Why did Harris stop Mavers from joining the military as Mavers describes it in Chapter 5?
8. Who is Bowles? Why does he dislike Rutledge?
9. What does Rutledge think of the reunion between Lettice Wood and Captain Wilton in Chapter 9?
10. What is Rutledge's impression of Carfield, the local vicar?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)