|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
2. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
3. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
4. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(b) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
(c) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(d) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She tells about seeing a dead body.
(b) She hugs Rutledge.
(c) She screams.
(d) She laughs.
6. What is the primary thought on Lettice Wood's mind in the end of Chapter 17?
(a) A hope that the investigation will be over soon.
(b) A wish that she had killed Harris in a different style.
(c) A hope that Mark will come see her.
(d) A wish to turn back time.
7. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
8. Why does Rutledge wake Lettice in the middle of the night in the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) He knows who killed Harris and wants to test his theory.
(b) He wants Lettice to tell him what kind of guns Wilton knows how to use.
(c) He needs Lettice to confirm what Harris was wearing the morning he died.
(d) He is in need of comfort and information.
9. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
10. Who does Lizzie Pinter look like, as pointed out by Hamish at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
11. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(b) A motive.
(d) A murder weapon.
12. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
(a) He told a servant.
(b) He wrote her a letter.
(c) He kissed her.
(d) He announced them.
13. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Lettice Wood.
14. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Maggie Sommers.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Daniel Hickam.
15. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Lettice Wood is open to courting with him.
(b) Harris paid his pension, but it will not continue.
(c) Mrs. Davenant has offered him a job.
(d) Royston accused him of the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What is split personality?
3. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
4. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
5. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)