|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
2. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a man on a horse.
(b) About a man with a shotgun.
(c) About a woman with a shotgun.
(d) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
3. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
(a) A gun.
(b) A horse's bridle.
(c) A doll.
(d) A knife.
4. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In the village square.
(b) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(c) In the lane.
(d) In the meadow where the body was found.
5. Who was the first to suggest calling off the wedding between Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton?
(a) Mark Wilton.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Colonel Harris.
(d) Lettice Wood.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) A week.
(d) Three weeks.
7. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) He is a highly religious man.
(b) It helps him deal with Hamish.
(c) He enjoys ritual.
(d) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
8. What makes Lettice Wood decide Mark Wilton could not have killed her guardian?
(a) His appearance at Mallow and concern for her.
(b) His trustworthy reputation.
(c) His admission of having disliked Harris.
(d) His honest confession of love.
9. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
10. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
(a) References to the war.
(c) References to non-existent people.
11. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(c) Lettice Wood.
12. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Forcing her to admit to something she did not do.
(b) Implying an affair where none existed.
(c) Acting on desperation.
(d) Fishing for information.
13. What motive does Wilton have for murdering Harris?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(d) A title.
14. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(b) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
(c) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
(d) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
15. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She screams.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is joyful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
2. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
3. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
4. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
5. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)