|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) A woman of ill repute.
(b) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Lizzie Pinter.
2. What is the topic of conversation when Rutledge first arrives to speak with Wilton at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The canceled wedding.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) The funeral arrangements.
(d) Lettice Wood.
3. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
(a) Being in love with Rutledge.
(b) Being in love with Mark Harris.
(c) Being in love with Mavers.
(d) Being in love with Harris.
4. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Lizzie Pinter.
(c) Lettice Wood.
5. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
6. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a woman with a shotgun.
(b) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
(c) About a man on a horse.
(d) About a man with a shotgun.
7. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
(a) The King of England.
(b) The German Dictator.
(c) The American President.
(d) The Russian Czar.
8. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
(a) A chance to lay a rose with his body.
(b) A chance to say goodbye.
(c) A chance to give him one last kiss.
(d) A chance to bury him with the rosary he held so dear.
9. What is split personality?
(a) When a person suffers a disfiguring trauma that changes their outlook on life.
(b) When a person has such emotional trauma that his personality changes dramatically.
(c) When an emotionally traumatized person creates a separate personality to deal with pain.
(d) When a person shows one personality to the public and one at home.
10. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The funeral.
(c) The Inn.
(d) The hospital.
11. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
(a) Making the best of one's short life.
(b) Coveting your neighbor.
(c) The sin of murder.
12. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) Revenge for the death of her lover.
(b) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
(c) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
(d) All she owes Wilton.
13. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Daniel Hickam.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
14. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She hugs Rutledge.
(c) She tells about seeing a dead body.
(d) She screams.
15. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
(a) He becomes distraught and quickly leaves.
(b) He becomes angry and insults everyone.
(c) He is content enough to watch the interaction of the villagers for a brief time.
(d) He is joyous and filled with laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
2. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
3. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
4. What does Rutledge realize about Maggie Sommers as he approaches her home the day of the funeral?
5. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)