|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(b) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
(c) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(d) He was on his way into the village.
2. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
(b) The meadow where the body was discovered.
(d) His hotel room.
3. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
(a) He is content enough to watch the interaction of the villagers for a brief time.
(b) He becomes distraught and quickly leaves.
(c) He becomes angry and insults everyone.
(d) He is joyous and filled with laughter.
4. What causes Hickam's testimony to be confusing as Rutledge is finally able to interrogate him in Chapter 15?
(c) References to non-existent people.
(d) References to the war.
5. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Laurence Royston.
(b) Hamish McLeod.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mark Wilton.
6. What is split personality?
(a) When a person has such emotional trauma that his personality changes dramatically.
(b) When a person suffers a disfiguring trauma that changes their outlook on life.
(c) When an emotionally traumatized person creates a separate personality to deal with pain.
(d) When a person shows one personality to the public and one at home.
7. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
(a) He should resign rather than fail.
(b) He will need more help.
(c) It will never happen.
(d) He should be able to solve the case easily.
8. Who does Rutledge think he sees in the garden at the Inn while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
9. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Daniel Hickam.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Dr. Warren.
10. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
(a) Wilton's motive for murder.
(b) Mavers' motive for murder.
(c) Her final evening with her guardian.
(d) Catherine Tarrant's grudge against herself and her guardian.
11. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
(b) To learn if he could have slipped away.
(c) To verify his alibi.
(d) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
12. What does Rutledge hear as he approaches the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
(a) The goose and a woman screaming.
(b) A child screaming.
(c) The goose and a man screaming.
(d) A shotgun blast.
13. Who was the first to suggest calling off the wedding between Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Colonel Harris.
(d) Mark Wilton.
14. What does Rutledge realize is the only evidence against Mark Wilton at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) A child, a doll, and a drunk.
(b) A child, a cut tire, and a drunk.
(c) A spurned woman, a child, and a drunk.
15. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
(a) Making the best of one's short life.
(c) Coveting your neighbor.
(d) The sin of murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
2. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
3. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
4. What is an inquest?
5. What does Mrs. Davenant say about Wilton's choice in women?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)