|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(d) Lettice Wood.
2. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(a) A motive.
(c) A murder weapon.
3. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
(b) The sin of murder.
(c) Making the best of one's short life.
(d) Coveting your neighbor.
4. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He believes Dr. Warren had more motive.
(b) He believes the traumatized child saw the real killer and it was not Wilton.
(c) He believes Mavers is guilty.
(d) He believes he is missing something.
5. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
6. What does Rutledge realize about Maggie Sommers as he approaches her home the day of the funeral?
(a) He does not like her.
(b) He underestimated her.
(c) She is insignificant to the investigation.
(d) She is related to a distant cousin.
7. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Harris paid his pension, but it will not continue.
(b) Royston accused him of the murder.
(c) Lettice Wood is open to courting with him.
(d) Mrs. Davenant has offered him a job.
8. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(b) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(c) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(d) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
9. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
10. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
(a) To help her country.
(b) To help her fellow villagers.
(c) To keep busy while waiting for word on her cousin.
(d) To find a new husband.
11. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(b) Daniel Hickam.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
12. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
(a) To fight him in court.
(b) To fight to have him fired from Scotland Yard.
(c) To have his friends beat him up.
(d) To have him arrested for defamation of character.
13. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(b) He was on his way into the village.
(c) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(d) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
14. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Lizzie Pinter.
(d) Lettice Wood.
15. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
(a) What did Wilton know about Harris' business deals?
(b) What did Harris think of Wilton?
(c) Who murdered Harris?
(d) Why would Harris call off her wedding?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
2. For whom did Mavers' father work?
3. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
4. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
5. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)