|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
(a) A chance to say goodbye.
(b) A chance to give him one last kiss.
(c) A chance to lay a rose with his body.
(d) A chance to bury him with the rosary he held so dear.
2. What is an inquest?
(a) A murder investigation.
(b) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
(c) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
(d) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
3. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
4. Why does Rutledge wake Lettice in the middle of the night in the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) He is in need of comfort and information.
(b) He knows who killed Harris and wants to test his theory.
(c) He needs Lettice to confirm what Harris was wearing the morning he died.
(d) He wants Lettice to tell him what kind of guns Wilton knows how to use.
5. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
(a) It removes the possibility of inheriting a great deal of money.
(b) It removes the certainty of inheriting Mallows.
(c) It removes the certainty of marriage to Lettice Wood.
(d) It removes the possibility of Wilton gaining a title.
6. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Daniel Hickam.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
7. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
8. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Implying an affair where none existed.
(b) Forcing her to admit to something she did not do.
(c) Acting on desperation.
(d) Fishing for information.
9. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
(a) Royston's love child.
(b) Royston's lover.
(c) The girl Royston killed in his car accident.
(d) The child Royston killed in a plane crash.
10. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(b) A motive.
(c) A murder weapon.
11. What does Mark Wilton spend the end of Chapter 17 doing?
(a) Saying goodbye to good friends.
(b) Writing a suicide note.
(c) Putting his affairs in order.
(d) Preparing to run away.
12. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
(a) Wilton's motive for murder.
(b) Her final evening with her guardian.
(c) Catherine Tarrant's grudge against herself and her guardian.
(d) Mavers' motive for murder.
13. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She is joyful.
(d) She screams.
14. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In the meadow where the body was found.
(b) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(c) In the lane.
(d) In the village square.
15. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
(b) All she owes Wilton.
(c) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
(d) Revenge for the death of her lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
2. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
3. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
5. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)