Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Fight for his reputation.
(b) Fight for his fiancee.
(c) Fight for his sanity.
(d) Fight for his sister's love.
2. Who does Rutledge ask for an opinion about the murder case in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Captain Wilton.
3. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To learn if he could have slipped away.
(b) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
(c) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
(d) To verify his alibi.
4. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) The sequence of events.
(b) The marks of the bullet's path.
(c) Possible location of a witness.
(d) Signs of a struggle.
5. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) He mocks it.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He admires it.
(d) He cries.
6. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
(a) He has to arrest someone.
(b) He dislikes him.
(c) He has no alternative.
(d) He thinks he is guilty.
7. What does Rutledge hear as he approaches the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
(a) A child screaming.
(b) A shotgun blast.
(c) The goose and a man screaming.
(d) The goose and a woman screaming.
8. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
(a) He kissed her.
(b) He announced them.
(c) He told a servant.
(d) He wrote her a letter.
9. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
(a) A shotgun blast to his face.
(b) A knife wound to the belly.
(c) A badly cut shoulder.
(d) A gun shot wound in the leg.
10. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Helena Sommers.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
11. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
(a) Lettice Wood told him it was not serious.
(b) Lettice Wood was happy a few days later.
(c) Harris walked with her in the garden immediately afterward.
(d) Harris told him it was just a lover's tiff.
12. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
13. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mrs. Davenant.
14. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
(a) A chance to give him one last kiss.
(b) A chance to lay a rose with his body.
(c) A chance to say goodbye.
(d) A chance to bury him with the rosary he held so dear.
15. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
(a) The girl Royston killed in his car accident.
(b) Royston's lover.
(c) The child Royston killed in a plane crash.
(d) Royston's love child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge threaten when Rutledge tells him of the evidence mounting against him?
2. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
4. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
5. What does Mrs. Davenant say about Wilton's choice in women?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)