|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
(a) The meadow where the body was discovered.
(d) His hotel room.
2. Who does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood he plans to arrest at the end of Chapter 16?
3. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
(a) Royston's lover.
(b) Royston's love child.
(c) The child Royston killed in a plane crash.
(d) The girl Royston killed in his car accident.
4. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) Attending numerous will readings for the murdered man.
(b) Keeping his cousin from a nervous breakdown.
(c) Cancelling his wedding plans.
(d) Arranging the difficult funeral for a headless corpse.
5. Who does Rutledge ask for an opinion about the murder case in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Captain Wilton.
6. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Sergeant Davies.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
7. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
(b) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(c) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(d) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
8. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) His sister.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(d) Lettice Wood.
9. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Lizzie Pinter.
(c) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
(d) A woman of ill repute.
10. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
(a) He thinks he is guilty.
(b) He has to arrest someone.
(c) He has no alternative.
(d) He dislikes him.
11. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Hot and sunny.
(b) Snowy and cold.
(c) Humid and misty.
(d) Rainy and miserable.
12. What is an inquest?
(a) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
(b) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
(c) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
(d) A murder investigation.
13. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
14. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(c) Lizzie Pinter.
15. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
(a) A murder weapon.
(c) A motive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn he saw sitting in the garden while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
2. Who objects loudly to Rutledge's decision to postpone arresting Wilton?
3. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
4. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
5. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)