|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
(c) His sister.
2. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) A bloody shirt front.
(b) A bloody mass of flesh.
(c) His mangled body.
(d) His smiling face as she last saw it.
3. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Lizzie Pinter.
(b) A woman of ill repute.
(d) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
4. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
(a) It removes the certainty of marriage to Lettice Wood.
(b) It removes the certainty of inheriting Mallows.
(c) It removes the possibility of inheriting a great deal of money.
(d) It removes the possibility of Wilton gaining a title.
5. Who seems to be the main topic of conversation in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(c) Helena Sommers.
(d) Lettice Wood.
6. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
(b) About a woman with a shotgun.
(c) About a man with a shotgun.
(d) About a man on a horse.
7. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
(a) If he is in love with her.
(b) If he hears voices in his head.
(c) If he understands the mentality of suicide.
(d) If he has ever been in love.
8. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
9. What does Rutledge realize about Maggie Sommers as he approaches her home the day of the funeral?
(a) She is insignificant to the investigation.
(b) He does not like her.
(c) She is related to a distant cousin.
(d) He underestimated her.
10. What does Rutledge realize is the only evidence against Mark Wilton at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) A child, a cut tire, and a drunk.
(b) A child, a doll, and a drunk.
(d) A spurned woman, a child, and a drunk.
11. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The Inn.
(c) The funeral.
(d) The hospital.
12. Who is the real Helena Sommers?
(a) Royston's love child.
(b) The child Royston killed in a plane crash.
(c) Royston's lover.
(d) The girl Royston killed in his car accident.
13. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) The marks of the bullet's path.
(b) Possible location of a witness.
(c) The sequence of events.
(d) Signs of a struggle.
14. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
(a) A horse's bridle.
(b) A gun.
(c) A doll.
(d) A knife.
15. For whom does Catherine Tarrant beg Rutledge to be sure of the evidence in Chapter 17?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
2. With whom is Rutledge arguing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
4. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
5. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)