|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Lizzie Pinter.
(c) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
(d) A woman of ill repute.
2. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
(a) He should resign rather than fail.
(b) He should be able to solve the case easily.
(c) He will need more help.
(d) It will never happen.
3. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
(a) The Haldane property.
(b) The Inn.
(c) The meadow.
(d) The town square.
4. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Daniel Hickam.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Dr. Warren.
5. What does Mrs. Davenant say about Wilton's choice in women?
(a) He could not have chosen a more devoted woman than Lettice Wood.
(b) He always chooses the wrong woman.
(c) He fatalistically falls for women he cannot have.
(d) He has lovely taste in women.
6. Where does Maggie tell Rutledge Helena is when he confronts her in Chapter 20?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The Inn.
(d) The funeral.
7. How does Lettice Wood's revelation of a brief affair with Harris change Wilton's motive?
(a) It removes the certainty of inheriting Mallows.
(b) It removes the possibility of inheriting a great deal of money.
(c) It removes the possibility of Wilton gaining a title.
(d) It removes the certainty of marriage to Lettice Wood.
8. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
(b) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(c) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(d) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
9. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
10. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is joyful.
(c) She screams.
(d) She is excited.
11. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) His sister.
(d) Helena Sommers.
12. Who does Helena Sommers tell Rutledge has arranged a car to take her to the funeral?
13. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Lizzie Pinter.
14. What is an inquest?
(a) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
(b) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
(c) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
(d) A murder investigation.
15. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
(b) About a man on a horse.
(c) About a woman with a shotgun.
(d) About a man with a shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
3. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
4. What does Mark Wilton spend the end of Chapter 17 doing?
5. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)