|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
(a) Train a sergeant to help with his case load.
(b) Take early retirement.
(c) Go on a long vacation.
(d) Visit a hypnotist to help rid him of Hamish McLeod.
2. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
(b) All she owes Wilton.
(c) Revenge for the death of her lover.
(d) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
3. What makes Lettice Wood decide Mark Wilton could not have killed her guardian?
(a) His trustworthy reputation.
(b) His admission of having disliked Harris.
(c) His appearance at Mallow and concern for her.
(d) His honest confession of love.
4. What is the weather like as the villagers gather for the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Rainy and miserable.
(b) Humid and misty.
(c) Hot and sunny.
(d) Snowy and cold.
5. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
(a) It proves Harris was killed elsewhere, clearing Wilton.
(b) It changes nothing.
(c) It proves Harris was shot in the town square, pointing to Mavers.
(d) It proves Harris could not have fought with Wilton in the lane.
6. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
(a) That he should look closely at Wilton.
(b) That he is progressing faster than expected.
(c) That he should look elsewhere for the killer.
(d) That he is slow in solving it.
7. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In the lane.
(b) In the meadow where the body was found.
(c) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(d) In the village square.
8. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
(a) They were in disagreement over Lettice's marriage to Wilton.
(b) They did not agree on the budget for the wedding.
(c) They did not like one another.
(d) They were lovers.
9. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a man on a horse.
(b) About a woman with a shotgun.
(c) About a man with a shotgun.
(d) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A week.
11. Who does Rutledge think he sees in the garden at the Inn while preparing for lunch in Chapter 16?
(a) Maggie Sommers.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Helena Sommers.
12. What does Rutledge ask Lettice Wood to go over with him one last time in Chapter 12?
(a) Her final evening with her guardian.
(b) Mavers' motive for murder.
(c) Wilton's motive for murder.
(d) Catherine Tarrant's grudge against herself and her guardian.
13. What gossip does Rutledge hear in Chapter 14 as he questions the villagers about Mavers?
(a) That Lettice Wood was having an affair with the murder victim.
(b) That Mark Wilton only wanted to marry Lettice Wood for her money.
(c) That it is inappropriate for the Sommers sisters to live so far in the country alone.
(d) That Catherine Tarrant has a new lover.
14. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
15. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Lizzie Pinter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
2. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
4. What does Mark Wilton spend the end of Chapter 17 doing?
5. What does Rutledge realize about Maggie Sommers as he approaches her home the day of the funeral?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)