|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) A bloody mass of flesh.
(b) His smiling face as she last saw it.
(c) His mangled body.
(d) A bloody shirt front.
2. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) A woman of ill repute.
(b) Lizzie Pinter.
(c) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
3. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
(a) Mark Wilton.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
4. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(b) He was on his way into the village.
(c) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(d) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
5. Who does Mavers wait to speak with after the church services in Chapter 15?
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
6. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She hugs Rutledge.
(b) She screams.
(c) She tells about seeing a dead body.
(d) She laughs.
7. What does Lettice Wood say about Rutledge's progress with the investigation in chapter 12?
(a) That he should look elsewhere for the killer.
(b) That he should look closely at Wilton.
(c) That he is progressing faster than expected.
(d) That he is slow in solving it.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
(a) A month.
(b) A year.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) A week.
9. What injuries does Royston have when Rutledge finds him running from the Sommers' cottage in Chapter 20?
(a) A shotgun blast to his face.
(b) A gun shot wound in the leg.
(c) A knife wound to the belly.
(d) A badly cut shoulder.
10. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
(a) A gun.
(b) A doll.
(c) A horse's bridle.
(d) A knife.
11. Where does Rutledge go in the middle of the night to try to figure out the logistics of the murder?
(a) The Inn.
(b) The meadow.
(c) The Haldane property.
(d) The town square.
12. Who does Rutledge go to check on in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Lizzie Pinter.
(b) Lettice Wood.
13. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
14. How does Rutledge decide Lizzie Pinter seeing the dead man fall from his horse in the meadow change the evidence against Wilton?
(a) It changes nothing.
(b) It proves Harris could not have fought with Wilton in the lane.
(c) It proves Harris was killed elsewhere, clearing Wilton.
(d) It proves Harris was shot in the town square, pointing to Mavers.
15. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
(a) She screams.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is joyful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lettice Wood remind Rutledge of?
2. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
3. What is Mrs. Davenant's opinion of the relationship between Catherine Tarrant and Rolf Linden?
4. What is an inquest?
5. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)