|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood?
(a) Harris' daughter.
(b) Harris' cousin.
(c) Harris' ward.
(d) Harris' fiancee.
2. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A promotion.
(b) A medal.
(c) A raise.
(d) His resignation.
3. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
4. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Captain Mark Wilton.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Pastor Carfield.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
5. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(a) Captain Mark Wilton.
(d) Colonel Harris.
6. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
7. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men without titles.
(b) Working men.
(c) Men with titles.
(d) Wealthy men.
8. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
(a) He was unsatisfied with life.
(b) He was very, very happy.
(c) He was depressed.
(d) He was preoccupied.
9. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a poison.
(b) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(c) With a gunshot to the breast.
(d) With a knife.
10. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To hide her true feelings.
(c) To protect Wilton.
(d) To avoid gossip.
11. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
12. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) No, never.
(b) Yes, when he wakes.
(c) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
(d) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
13. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
(b) A type of pocket watch.
(c) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(d) An award given to pilots in World War I.
14. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Miss Wood's maid.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mark Wilton.
15. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
(a) A family called Warren.
(b) A family called Haldanes.
(c) Colonel Harris.
(d) Captain Wilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
2. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)