|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Alcohol poisoning.
(b) A head injury.
(c) Kidney disease.
(d) Liver disease.
2. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' cousin.
(d) Mavers' brother.
3. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Inspector Forrest.
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(c) Pastor Carfield.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
4. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To avoid gossip.
(c) To hide her true feelings.
(d) To protect Wilton.
5. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
6. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
(b) The person would rather work in the fields.
(c) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(d) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
7. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(b) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(c) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(d) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
8. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A canister of poison.
(b) A knife.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A pistol.
9. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
10. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(d) Rheumatic fever.
11. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) The child of a local aristocrat.
(b) A village farmer's wife.
(c) A woman of ill repute.
(d) A coal miner.
12. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
13. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
14. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Rev. Carfield.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Laurence Royston.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
15. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
2. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
3. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
4. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
5. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)