|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Warrens.
(b) The Davenants.
(c) The Haldanes.
(d) The Harrises.
2. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have all the money they could need.
(b) When they have nothing to lose.
(c) When they know they have justice on their side.
(d) When they have all they ever wanted.
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To get away from the bustle of the city.
4. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He is simply annoying.
(b) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(c) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(d) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
5. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Wealthy men.
(b) Men with titles.
(c) Men without titles.
(d) Working men.
6. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(b) Rheumatic fever.
7. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
(a) He was a murder waiting to happen.
(b) He was a true proper English gentleman.
(c) He was an arrogant fool.
(d) He was a good soldier.
8. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
9. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A plane crash.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A boating accident.
(d) A bicycle accident.
10. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Their testimony.
(b) Their lifestyles.
(c) Their thoughts.
(d) Their emotions.
11. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
(a) A family called Warren.
(b) Colonel Harris.
(c) Captain Wilton.
(d) A family called Haldanes.
12. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(b) Cut out letters.
13. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Mark Wilton.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Sergeant Davies.
(d) Lettice Wood.
14. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(d) Colonel Harris.
15. What motive does Lettice Wood suggest Catherine Tarrant might have had to kill the murder victim?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sally Davenant?
2. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
3. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
4. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)