|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
(b) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(c) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(d) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
2. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
3. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) A type of pocket watch.
(b) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(c) An award given to pilots in World War I.
(d) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
4. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A dog.
(b) A pig.
(c) A goose.
(d) A cat.
5. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(b) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(c) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(d) A musician he has seen in concert.
6. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(d) Colonel Harris.
7. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Wealthy men.
(b) Men without titles.
(c) Working men.
(d) Men with titles.
8. Where is Scotland Yard?
(b) East Hampton.
9. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New plane motors.
(b) New machine guns.
(c) New machines designed to kill.
(d) New tanks.
10. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
(a) Sergeant Davies.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Mark Wilton.
11. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from London.
(b) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(c) Someone from Paris.
(d) Someone from Germany.
12. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) He is kind and had no enemies.
(b) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
(c) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
(d) She thought he was annoying.
13. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' brother.
(b) Mavers' mother.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' father.
14. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who lost family members.
(b) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
(c) Those with physical injuries.
(d) Those who never saw battle.
15. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
(b) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(c) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(d) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
2. Who shows impatience in Chapter 7 to clear the murder investigation?
3. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
5. Who is Agnes Farrell?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)