|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(b) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(c) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(d) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
2. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
3. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A promotion.
(b) His resignation.
(c) A medal.
(d) A raise.
4. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Davenants.
(b) The Warrens.
(c) The Harrises.
(d) The Haldanes.
5. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(a) Rheumatic fever.
6. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
(a) She reminds him of his mother.
(b) She is more courageous than his former fiancee Jean.
(c) She will not answer his questions.
(d) She is beautiful but he can never have her.
7. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Miss Wood's maid.
8. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(c) Captain Mark Wilton.
(d) Colonel Harris.
9. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
10. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
11. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
12. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A village farmer's wife.
(b) The child of a local aristocrat.
(c) A coal miner.
(d) A woman of ill repute.
13. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
14. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a bedroom.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) In a dining room.
(d) In a corn field.
15. Who is Laurence Royston?
(a) Harris' man of business.
(b) Harris' cousin.
(c) Harris' butler.
(d) Harris' best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
2. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
3. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
4. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
5. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)