|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
2. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men with titles.
(b) Working men.
(c) Wealthy men.
(d) Men without titles.
3. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
4. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(b) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(c) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
(d) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
5. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
6. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
(a) Mark Wilton.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
7. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He cannot understand the women in the case.
(b) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(c) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
(d) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
8. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
9. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
(a) Refused to follow a direct order.
(b) Refused to leave the battlefield.
(c) He tried to kill Rutledge.
(d) He killed another soldier in their squad.
10. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) His resignation.
(b) A raise.
(c) A medal.
(d) A promotion.
11. With whom does Rutledge learn in Chapter 2 the murder victim fought the night before his death?
(a) Lettice Wood.
12. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(b) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(c) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(d) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
13. What is a pension?
(a) Insurance payments.
(b) Payment for services rendered.
(c) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(d) Payment for war veterans.
14. Where is Scotland Yard?
(a) East Hampton.
15. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A musician he has seen in concert.
(b) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(c) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(d) An artist his sister greatly admires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Lettice Wood?
4. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
5. Who is Colonel Harris?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)