|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Murder victim.
(b) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(c) German soldier.
(d) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
2. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
3. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is surprisingly kind.
(c) She is surprisingly cruel.
(d) She is callous and cold.
4. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A canister of poison.
(c) A knife.
(d) A shotgun.
5. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(b) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(c) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(d) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
6. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) A head injury.
(c) Kidney disease.
(d) Alcohol poisoning.
7. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
8. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A goose.
(d) A pig.
9. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
10. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(b) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
11. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To avoid gossip.
(b) To protect Wilton.
(c) To hide her true feelings.
(d) To protect Rutledge.
12. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Rev. Carfield.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Laurence Royston.
13. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(b) Cut out letters.
14. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A boating accident.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A bicycle accident.
(d) A plane crash.
15. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(b) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(c) He is simply annoying.
(d) He insulted Colonel Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
2. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
3. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
5. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)