|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(b) Someone from London.
(c) Someone from Germany.
(d) Someone from Paris.
2. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Harrises.
(b) The Davenants.
(c) The Haldanes.
(d) The Warrens.
3. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
(a) He is good at his job.
(b) He is goodlooking.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is cold.
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
5. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A poor veteran of World War I.
(d) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
6. Where is Scotland Yard?
(c) East Hampton.
7. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is callous and cold.
(c) She is surprisingly cruel.
(d) She is surprisingly kind.
8. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a groom.
(b) He is a coal miner.
(c) He is a sheep herdsman.
(d) He is a farmer.
9. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' brother.
(c) Mavers' father.
(d) Mavers' mother.
10. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
(a) She will not answer his questions.
(b) She is beautiful but he can never have her.
(c) She is more courageous than his former fiancee Jean.
(d) She reminds him of his mother.
11. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Captain Wilton.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Mr. Davenant.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
12. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A village farmer's wife.
(b) A woman of ill repute.
(c) A coal miner.
(d) The child of a local aristocrat.
13. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have nothing to lose.
(b) When they have all the money they could need.
(c) When they have all they ever wanted.
(d) When they know they have justice on their side.
14. Who is Redfern?
(a) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
(b) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(c) Rutledge's assistant.
(d) The ward of the murder victim.
15. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
(b) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(c) Yes, when he wakes.
(d) No, never.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
2. What is the Victoria Cross?
3. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
4. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
5. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)