|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(b) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(c) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
(d) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
2. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
(c) Lettice Wood.
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To get away from killing.
(c) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(d) To get away from the bustle of the city.
4. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She is the one who committed the murder.
(b) She does not care who committed the murder.
(c) She knows who committed the murder.
(d) She does not know who committed the murder.
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
6. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(b) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
7. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(b) Yes, when he wakes.
(c) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
(d) No, never.
8. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather work in the fields.
(b) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
(c) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(d) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
9. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
10. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mrs. Davenant.
11. Who is Laurence Royston?
(a) Harris' butler.
(b) Harris' best friend.
(c) Harris' man of business.
(d) Harris' cousin.
12. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Their thoughts.
(b) Their testimony.
(c) Their lifestyles.
(d) Their emotions.
13. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have all they ever wanted.
(b) When they have nothing to lose.
(c) When they know they have justice on their side.
(d) When they have all the money they could need.
14. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A woman of ill repute.
(b) A coal miner.
(c) The child of a local aristocrat.
(d) A village farmer's wife.
15. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Rutledge learn in Chapter 2 the murder victim fought the night before his death?
2. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
3. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
5. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)