|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(b) No, never.
(c) Yes, when he wakes.
(d) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
2. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a sheep herdsman.
(b) He is a groom.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a coal miner.
3. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(d) She is shy and reserved.
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
(a) He was preoccupied.
(b) He was unsatisfied with life.
(c) He was depressed.
(d) He was very, very happy.
5. Why does Rutledge return to Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) To ask her to dinner.
(b) To ask if she has any new information in the murder.
(c) To ask if she saw Wilton carrying anything the day of the murder.
(d) To ask if she saw the murder.
6. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(b) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(c) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
(d) He cannot understand the women in the case.
7. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
8. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
(a) Helena Sommers.
(b) Mrs. Davanent.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
9. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
10. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) Her eyes are two different colors.
(c) She carries a book of spells.
(d) Her nose is long and straight.
11. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they know they have justice on their side.
(b) When they have all they ever wanted.
(c) When they have nothing to lose.
(d) When they have all the money they could need.
12. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She does not care who committed the murder.
(b) She is the one who committed the murder.
(c) She knows who committed the murder.
(d) She does not know who committed the murder.
13. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A boating accident.
(b) A plane crash.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A bicycle accident.
14. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' cousin.
(d) Mavers' brother.
15. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who never saw battle.
(b) Those with physical injuries.
(c) Those who lost family members.
(d) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
2. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
3. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
4. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)