|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(b) With a poison.
(c) With a knife.
(d) With a gunshot to the breast.
2. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(c) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(d) To get away from killing.
3. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A canister of poison.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
4. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(d) A poor veteran of World War I.
5. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(a) Rheumatic fever.
6. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
(a) East Hampton, England.
(b) Weltonshire, England.
(c) Warwickshire, England.
(d) York, England.
7. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' father.
(b) Mavers' mother.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' brother.
8. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
9. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(b) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
(c) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(d) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
10. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Concentrating on testimony.
(b) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(c) Understanding the method of death.
(d) Reading the evidence.
11. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Lettice Wood.
12. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A goose.
(b) A cat.
(c) A pig.
(d) A dog.
13. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(b) She is shy and reserved.
(c) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(d) She is outgoing and confident.
14. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
15. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They will solve the case within a few days.
(b) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(c) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(d) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
2. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
3. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
4. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
5. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)