|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' mother.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' sister.
2. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
(a) Harris' butler.
(b) Harris' man of business.
(c) Harris' cousin.
(d) Harris' best friend.
4. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
5. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
6. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(b) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
(c) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(d) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
7. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
8. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
9. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
(a) He was a murder waiting to happen.
(b) He was a true proper English gentleman.
(c) He was a good soldier.
(d) He was an arrogant fool.
10. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(b) Someone from London.
(c) Someone from Germany.
(d) Someone from Paris.
11. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
12. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(b) Murder victim.
(c) German soldier.
(d) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
13. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(b) With a gunshot to the breast.
(c) With a knife.
(d) With a poison.
14. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) Kidney disease.
(c) A head injury.
(d) Alcohol poisoning.
15. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is shy and reserved.
(b) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(c) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(d) She is outgoing and confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
2. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
3. What is the point of view of this novel?
4. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
5. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)