|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A bicycle accident.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A plane crash.
(d) A boating accident.
2. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
3. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. Who is Sally Davenant?
(a) Wilton's cousin.
(b) Wilton's sister.
(c) Wilton's mistress.
(d) Wilton's former fiancee.
5. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To be closer to his former fiancee.
6. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
7. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(b) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
(c) Murder victim.
(d) German soldier.
8. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Miss Wood's maid.
9. Why does Rutledge return to Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) To ask if she has any new information in the murder.
(b) To ask if she saw Wilton carrying anything the day of the murder.
(c) To ask if she saw the murder.
(d) To ask her to dinner.
10. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is outgoing and confident.
(b) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(c) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(d) She is shy and reserved.
11. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) Alcohol poisoning.
(c) A head injury.
(d) Kidney disease.
12. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
13. Who shows impatience in Chapter 7 to clear the murder investigation?
14. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(c) Rheumatic fever.
15. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(b) Concentrating on testimony.
(c) Understanding the method of death.
(d) Reading the evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
2. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
4. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
5. Who is Colonel Harris?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)