|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machines designed to kill.
(b) New machine guns.
(c) New plane motors.
(d) New tanks.
2. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
(a) Victoria Principal.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) Victory in the Pacific.
(d) Victory in Europe.
3. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
4. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who never saw battle.
(b) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
(c) Those with physical injuries.
(d) Those who lost family members.
5. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(b) Rheumatic fever.
6. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Inspector Forrest.
(c) Captain Wilton.
(d) Mr. Davenant.
7. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To protect Wilton.
(c) To avoid gossip.
(d) To hide her true feelings.
8. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
9. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(c) Persons unknown.
(d) Lettice Wood.
10. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
(c) Lettice Wood.
11. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
12. What has Bowles received that causes him some pleasure when it comes to dealing with Rutledge?
(a) A letter discussing Rutledge's resignation from Scotland Yard.
(b) A letter discussing Rutledge's promotion at Scotland Yard.
(c) A letter describing Rutledge's incompentency as an inspector.
(d) A letter describing Rutledge's mental instability after the war.
13. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
14. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A pig.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A goose.
15. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Understanding the method of death.
(b) Reading the evidence.
(c) Concentrating on testimony.
(d) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
2. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
3. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
4. What is a pension?
5. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)