|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
(b) He is kind and had no enemies.
(c) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
(d) She thought he was annoying.
2. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Germany.
(b) Someone from Paris.
(c) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(d) Someone from London.
3. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a sheep herdsman.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a coal miner.
(d) He is a groom.
4. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Miss Wood's maid.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' father.
(b) Mavers' cousin.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' sister.
6. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Captain Mark Wilton.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Pastor Carfield.
(d) Inspector Forrest.
7. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
8. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is shy and reserved.
(d) She is ugly and unpleasant.
9. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(b) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
(c) German soldier.
(d) Murder victim.
10. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A village farmer's wife.
(b) The child of a local aristocrat.
(c) A coal miner.
(d) A woman of ill repute.
11. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A poor veteran of World War I.
(d) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
12. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
(a) He refers Rutledge to Lettice Wood.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He insists there are none.
(d) He gives a list of names.
13. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
14. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To get away from the bustle of the city.
15. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
(b) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(c) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(d) He cannot understand the women in the case.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Victoria Cross?
2. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
5. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)