|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Rev. Carfield.
(b) Laurence Royston.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Dr. Warren.
2. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
(a) He was depressed.
(b) He was unsatisfied with life.
(c) He was very, very happy.
(d) He was preoccupied.
3. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
(a) He was a good soldier.
(b) He was an arrogant fool.
(c) He was a true proper English gentleman.
(d) He was a murder waiting to happen.
4. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
5. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a dining room.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a meadow.
(d) In a corn field.
6. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
7. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(b) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(c) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(d) They will solve the case within a few days.
8. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather work in the fields.
(b) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
(c) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
(d) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
9. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
(a) She is surprisingly kind.
(b) She is surprisingly cruel.
(c) She is callous and cold.
(d) She is indifferent.
10. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(b) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
(c) A type of pocket watch.
(d) An award given to pilots in World War I.
11. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
12. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(c) Rheumatic fever.
13. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
(a) He gives a list of names.
(b) He refers Rutledge to Lettice Wood.
(c) He insists there are none.
(d) He laughs.
14. Who is Sally Davenant?
(a) Wilton's former fiancee.
(b) Wilton's cousin.
(c) Wilton's sister.
(d) Wilton's mistress.
15. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A raise.
(b) A promotion.
(c) A medal.
(d) His resignation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
2. Who is Colonel Harris?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
4. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
5. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)