|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a coal miner.
(b) He is a sheep herdsman.
(c) He is a groom.
(d) He is a farmer.
2. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
3. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(b) Concentrating on testimony.
(c) Reading the evidence.
(d) Understanding the method of death.
4. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A bicycle accident.
(b) A boating accident.
(c) A plane crash.
(d) A car accident.
5. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
(a) Lettice Wood.
6. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
7. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
8. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To protect Wilton.
(c) To hide her true feelings.
(d) To avoid gossip.
9. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(b) To be close to his cousin.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To get away from the bustle of the city.
10. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machine guns.
(b) New plane motors.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New machines designed to kill.
11. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(b) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(c) A musician he has seen in concert.
(d) An artist his sister greatly admires.
12. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they have all the money they could need.
(b) When they know they have justice on their side.
(c) When they have nothing to lose.
(d) When they have all they ever wanted.
13. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Harrises.
(b) The Haldanes.
(c) The Davenants.
(d) The Warrens.
14. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They will solve the case within a few days.
(b) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(c) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(d) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
15. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
(a) He refers Rutledge to Lettice Wood.
(b) He insists there are none.
(c) He gives a list of names.
(d) He laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
3. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
4. What is a pension?
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)