|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Captain Wilton.
(b) Inspector Forrest.
(c) Mr. Davenant.
(d) Mrs. Davenant.
2. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
(a) The testimony of Mavers' wife claiming he was at home that morning.
(b) An affidavit from the innkeeper swearing Mavers was sleeping in one of his rooms.
(c) A notorized note from his mother saying he was doing chores for her that morning.
(d) A list of people who saw him making a speech in the town square.
3. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a sheep herdsman.
(b) He is a groom.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a coal miner.
4. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
5. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) An award given to pilots in World War I.
(b) A type of pocket watch.
(c) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(d) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
6. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) He is good at his job.
(c) He is cold.
(d) He is goodlooking.
7. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Lying drunk on the ground.
(b) Arguing with Mavers.
(c) Stealing bread from the inn.
(d) Directing traffic as though he is still in France.
8. Where is Scotland Yard?
(d) East Hampton.
9. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(b) Someone from Paris.
(c) Someone from London.
(d) Someone from Germany.
10. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men with titles.
(b) Working men.
(c) Men without titles.
(d) Wealthy men.
11. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(b) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(c) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(d) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
12. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(d) Cut out letters.
13. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A canister of poison.
(d) A shotgun.
14. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To get away from killing.
(b) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(c) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(d) To be close to his cousin.
15. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is shy and reserved.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(d) She is ugly and unpleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
2. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
3. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
4. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
5. What motive does Lettice Wood suggest Catherine Tarrant might have had to kill the murder victim?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)