|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who lost family members.
(b) Those with physical injuries.
(c) Those who never saw battle.
(d) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
2. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
3. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) A head injury.
(b) Kidney disease.
(c) Liver disease.
(d) Alcohol poisoning.
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machine guns.
(b) New machines designed to kill.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New plane motors.
6. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
(a) He killed another soldier in their squad.
(b) Refused to leave the battlefield.
(c) Refused to follow a direct order.
(d) He tried to kill Rutledge.
7. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(b) Someone from London.
(c) Someone from Germany.
(d) Someone from Paris.
8. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' brother.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' cousin.
9. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
10. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(b) To be close to his cousin.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To be closer to his former fiancee.
11. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
(a) Captain Mark Wilton.
(c) Colonel Harris.
12. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(b) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(c) A musician he has seen in concert.
(d) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
13. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A pig.
(b) A cat.
(c) A goose.
(d) A dog.
14. What does Mr. Pinter do for a living?
(a) He is a groom.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a coal miner.
(d) He is a sheep herdsman.
15. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Their emotions.
(b) Their lifestyles.
(c) Their testimony.
(d) Their thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
2. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
3. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
4. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
5. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)