|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
2. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
(b) German soldier.
(c) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(d) Murder victim.
3. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
(a) East Hampton, England.
(b) Weltonshire, England.
(c) York, England.
(d) Warwickshire, England.
4. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(b) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(c) A poor veteran of World War I.
(d) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
5. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a corn field.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a meadow.
(d) In a dining room.
6. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Pastor Carfield.
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(c) Inspector Forrest.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
7. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Davenant.
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(c) Inspector Forrest.
(d) Captain Wilton.
8. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
(c) Cut out letters.
9. Who owns the house where the Sommers sisters live?
(a) Colonel Harris.
(b) Captain Wilton.
(c) A family called Warren.
(d) A family called Haldanes.
10. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(a) Persons unknown.
(d) Lettice Wood.
11. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(b) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(c) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(d) They will solve the case within a few days.
12. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
13. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Mark Wilton.
(c) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Miss Wood's maid.
14. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(b) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(c) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(d) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
15. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Rev. Carfield.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Laurence Royston.
(d) Maggie Sommers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
2. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
3. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
5. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)