|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lettice Wood?
(a) Harris' ward.
(b) Harris' daughter.
(c) Harris' cousin.
(d) Harris' fiancee.
2. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' father.
(b) Mavers' sister.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' mother.
3. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She is the one who committed the murder.
(b) She knows who committed the murder.
(c) She does not care who committed the murder.
(d) She does not know who committed the murder.
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New tanks.
(b) New machines designed to kill.
(c) New machine guns.
(d) New plane motors.
6. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(b) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
(c) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(d) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
7. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Concentrating on testimony.
(b) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(c) Understanding the method of death.
(d) Reading the evidence.
8. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is shy and reserved.
(d) She is promiscuous and flirty.
9. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
10. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(b) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(c) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
11. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
12. Who is Redfern?
(a) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(b) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
(c) The ward of the murder victim.
(d) Rutledge's assistant.
13. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A poor veteran of World War I.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(d) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
14. Where is Scotland Yard?
(b) East Hampton.
15. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
(a) The Harrises.
(b) The Davenants.
(c) The Haldanes.
(d) The Warrens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
2. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
3. What is the point of view of this novel?
4. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
5. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)