|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Reading the evidence.
(b) Concentrating on testimony.
(c) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(d) Understanding the method of death.
2. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
3. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) A head injury.
(b) Liver disease.
(c) Alcohol poisoning.
(d) Kidney disease.
4. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone from Germany.
(b) Someone from Upper Streetham.
(c) Someone from London.
(d) Someone from Paris.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' cousin.
(d) Mavers' brother.
6. Who is Ian Rutledge?
(a) Murder victim.
(b) German soldier.
(c) Supervisor for Scotland Yard.
(d) Inspector for Scotland Yard.
7. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(b) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(c) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(d) He is simply annoying.
8. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Helena Sommers.
(c) Mrs. Davanent.
(d) Lettice Wood.
9. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To hide her true feelings.
(b) To protect Wilton.
(c) To avoid gossip.
(d) To protect Rutledge.
10. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
(a) A list of people who saw him making a speech in the town square.
(b) An affidavit from the innkeeper swearing Mavers was sleeping in one of his rooms.
(c) A notorized note from his mother saying he was doing chores for her that morning.
(d) The testimony of Mavers' wife claiming he was at home that morning.
11. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(c) Persons unknown.
(d) Lettice Wood.
12. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mrs. Davenant.
13. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
(a) A car accident.
(b) A plane crash.
(c) A bicycle accident.
(d) A boating accident.
14. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
(b) An award given to pilots in World War I.
(c) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(d) A type of pocket watch.
15. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(b) A poor veteran of World War I.
(c) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
(d) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
2. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
3. Where is Scotland Yard?
4. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
5. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)