|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather work in the fields.
(b) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
(c) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
(d) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
2. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(b) They will solve the case within a few days.
(c) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(d) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
3. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(b) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(c) He is simply annoying.
(d) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
6. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(b) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
(c) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(d) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
7. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He cannot understand the women in the case.
(b) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(c) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(d) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
8. Who is Colonel Harris?
(a) A poor veteran of World War I.
(b) The husband of Lettice Wood.
(c) A supervisor at Scotland Yard.
(d) A wealthy gentleman who is murdered.
9. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men with titles.
(b) Wealthy men.
(c) Working men.
(d) Men without titles.
10. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
11. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) No, never.
(b) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(c) Yes, when he wakes.
(d) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
12. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
13. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
(a) Mark Wilton.
(b) Sergeant Davies.
(c) Dr. Warren.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
14. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
15. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) First person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
2. Who is Ian Rutledge?
3. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
4. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
5. Who is Sally Davenant?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)