|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machine guns.
(b) New machines designed to kill.
(c) New plane motors.
(d) New tanks.
2. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
3. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
(b) The person would rather work in the fields.
(c) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(d) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
4. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for services rendered.
(b) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(c) Payment for war veterans.
(d) Insurance payments.
5. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) Yes, when he wakes.
(b) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
(c) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(d) No, never.
6. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Persons unknown.
7. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) She carries a book of spells.
(c) Her eyes are two different colors.
(d) Her nose is long and straight.
8. Who is Redfern?
(a) Rutledge's assistant.
(b) The ward of the murder victim.
(c) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(d) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
9. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(b) She is shy and reserved.
(c) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(d) She is outgoing and confident.
10. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' cousin.
(b) Mavers' brother.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' father.
11. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
12. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
(a) He tried to kill Rutledge.
(b) Refused to follow a direct order.
(c) Refused to leave the battlefield.
(d) He killed another soldier in their squad.
13. Where is Scotland Yard?
(b) East Hampton.
14. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) Kidney disease.
(c) A head injury.
(d) Alcohol poisoning.
15. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(b) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(c) He is simply annoying.
(d) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
2. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
3. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
4. Which villager does Rutledge recall in Chapter 4 that he saw during his own time in the war?
5. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)