|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To avoid gossip.
(b) To protect Wilton.
(c) To protect Rutledge.
(d) To hide her true feelings.
2. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
(a) He is good at his job.
(b) He is goodlooking.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is cold.
3. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
(a) Weltonshire, England.
(b) East Hampton, England.
(c) Warwickshire, England.
(d) York, England.
4. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Understanding the method of death.
(b) Concentrating on testimony.
(c) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(d) Reading the evidence.
5. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
(a) She wears a pentacle around her neck.
(b) Her nose is long and straight.
(c) She carries a book of spells.
(d) Her eyes are two different colors.
6. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
7. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is shy and reserved.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(d) She is promiscuous and flirty.
8. What is a pension?
(a) Payment for services rendered.
(b) Payment for those who are no longer earning a regular income from employment.
(c) Payment for war veterans.
(d) Insurance payments.
9. What is the Victoria Cross?
(a) The highest military honor presented to British soldiers.
(b) A memorial placed in a cemetery.
(c) A type of pocket watch.
(d) An award given to pilots in World War I.
10. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
11. What does Rutledge think of the murder victim?
(a) He was an arrogant fool.
(b) He was a good soldier.
(c) He was a murder waiting to happen.
(d) He was a true proper English gentleman.
12. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who never saw battle.
(b) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
(c) Those with physical injuries.
(d) Those who lost family members.
13. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
14. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
(d) Rheumatic fever.
15. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She is the one who committed the murder.
(b) She does not care who committed the murder.
(c) She does not know who committed the murder.
(d) She knows who committed the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
2. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
4. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)