|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
2. With whom does Rutledge learn in Chapter 2 the murder victim fought the night before his death?
(a) Lettice Wood.
3. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) She thought he was annoying.
(b) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
(c) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
(d) He is kind and had no enemies.
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' brother.
(c) Mavers' mother.
(d) Mavers' father.
5. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(d) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
6. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
(a) A medal.
(b) A promotion.
(c) A raise.
(d) His resignation.
7. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
8. Who is Sally Davenant?
(a) Wilton's sister.
(b) Wilton's former fiancee.
(c) Wilton's cousin.
(d) Wilton's mistress.
9. Who is Redfern?
(a) The ward of the murder victim.
(b) Rutledge's assistant.
(c) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(d) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
10. How does Wilton react when Rutledge asks if there were rivals for Lettice Wood's affection?
(a) He gives a list of names.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He insists there are none.
(d) He refers Rutledge to Lettice Wood.
11. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(b) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(c) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
(d) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
12. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
13. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
(a) A goose.
(b) A pig.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
14. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
(a) They need more time to be sure of the murderer.
(b) He has no clue who committed the murder and will more than likely declare it to be persons unknown.
(c) They have a murder weapon but no susects.
(d) They will solve the case within a few days.
15. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
(a) He was preoccupied.
(b) He was unsatisfied with life.
(c) He was depressed.
(d) He was very, very happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at Mallows while Rutledge is still in the company of Lettice Wood in Chapter 9?
2. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
4. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
5. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)