|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They did not like one another.
(c) They did not agree on the budget for the wedding.
(d) They were in disagreement over Lettice's marriage to Wilton.
2. What is an inquest?
(a) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
(b) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
(c) A murder investigation.
(d) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
(a) She screams.
(b) She hugs Rutledge.
(c) She tells about seeing a dead body.
(d) She laughs.
4. What is Catherine Tarrant's main motive as revealed by her own thoughts in Chapter 17?
(a) Grief for the loss of Wilton.
(b) Hope the murderer of Harris will be found soon.
(c) Revenge for the death of her lover.
(d) All she owes Wilton.
5. Why was the murder victim, as discovered by Rutledge in Chapter 14, riding his horse near the houses of ill repute on the lane?
(a) He had resolved a dispute for one of the women of ill repute.
(b) He was visiting Helena Sommers.
(c) He was visiting a woman of ill repute.
(d) He was on his way into the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
3. Who is Redfern?
4. What does Mark Wilton think will best serve him in what he must do next, as described in Chapter 17?
5. Who is Catherine Tarrant searching for at the beginning of chapter 6?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)