|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
2. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) About a man with a shotgun.
(b) About a dead body lying in a meadow.
(c) About a man on a horse.
(d) About a woman with a shotgun.
3. How did Harris reveal unrequited feelings for Lettice Wood on the Tuesday before his death?
(a) He kissed her.
(b) He announced them.
(c) He told a servant.
(d) He wrote her a letter.
4. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
(d) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
5. Who is Redfern?
(a) The nephew of the innkeeper, an injured former soldier.
(b) The ward of the murder victim.
(c) The nephew of Catherine Tarrant, a mentally disturbed teen.
(d) Rutledge's assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
2. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
3. What nationality does one of Lettice Wood's suggest for a secret lover Catherine Tarrant had?
4. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 18, how long has it been since the murder took place?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)