|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) He enjoys ritual.
(b) It helps him deal with Hamish.
(c) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
(d) He is a highly religious man.
2. What question does Lettice Wood ask Rutledge in Chapter 19?
(a) If he hears voices in his head.
(b) If he has ever been in love.
(c) If he understands the mentality of suicide.
(d) If he is in love with her.
3. What does Rutledge tell Lettice Wood Mark Wilton might do to deal with his guilty conscious in Chapter 19?
(a) Commit another murder.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Run away.
(d) Plead guilty to a crime he did not commit.
4. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
(a) Signs of a struggle.
(b) The sequence of events.
(c) The marks of the bullet's path.
(d) Possible location of a witness.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
2. Who escorts Lettice Wood to the funeral of Colonel Harris?
3. Who is Redfern?
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)