|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
(b) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(c) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(d) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
2. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(b) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(c) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
(d) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
3. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
4. What does Lettice Wood accuse Rutledge of doing during their interview at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Fishing for information.
(b) Implying an affair where none existed.
(c) Forcing her to admit to something she did not do.
(d) Acting on desperation.
5. What does Rutledge vow to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Fight for his fiancee.
(b) Fight for his sanity.
(c) Fight for his reputation.
(d) Fight for his sister's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge say London gave him in the aftermath of the debacle with McLeod?
2. Who does Lizzie Pinter look like, as pointed out by Hamish at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What does Rutledge realize is the only evidence against Mark Wilton at the end of Chapter 14?
4. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
5. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)