|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(b) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
2. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(b) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(c) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(d) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machine guns.
(b) New plane motors.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New machines designed to kill.
5. What does Lettice Wood admit to in the end of Chapter 19?
(a) Being in love with Mavers.
(b) Being in love with Mark Harris.
(c) Being in love with Rutledge.
(d) Being in love with Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
2. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
3. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
4. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
5. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)