|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
(b) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
(c) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(d) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
2. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(b) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
(c) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(d) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
3. Where does Hickam say he saw the murder victim argue with Mark Wilton the morning of the murder?
(a) In the lane.
(b) In the meadow where the body was found.
(c) In front of Helena Sommers house.
(d) In the village square.
4. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
(a) Take early retirement.
(b) Go on a long vacation.
(c) Train a sergeant to help with his case load.
(d) Visit a hypnotist to help rid him of Hamish McLeod.
5. What does Rutledge want to know about Mavers' actions the morning of the murder?
(a) To verify his alibi.
(b) To learn if he could have slipped away.
(c) To find out what he was saying about the murder victim.
(d) To learn which scholars he quotes in his speeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forrest suggest it was that told the town of Catherine Tarrant's love affair with a German during the war?
2. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
3. What type of handwriting is the letter Bowles received regarding Rutledge written in?
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
5. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)