|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge learn is the reason for Mavers' strong reaction to a conversation after church services in Chapter 15?
(a) Royston accused him of the murder.
(b) Mrs. Davenant has offered him a job.
(c) Harris paid his pension, but it will not continue.
(d) Lettice Wood is open to courting with him.
2. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
(b) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(c) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(d) He cannot understand the women in the case.
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
4. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
(a) Who murdered Harris?
(b) What did Wilton know about Harris' business deals?
(c) Why would Harris call off her wedding?
(d) What did Harris think of Wilton?
5. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A canister of poison.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Forrest believe is the source of Mavers' pension?
3. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
4. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
5. What does Rutledge have trouble picturing when he returns to the meadow where the murder victim was discovered?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)