|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Understanding the method of death.
(b) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(c) Concentrating on testimony.
(d) Reading the evidence.
2. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(b) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(c) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(d) He is simply annoying.
3. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be close to his cousin.
(b) To get away from killing.
(c) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(d) To be closer to his former fiancee.
4. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
5. Why does Rutledge return to Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) To ask her to dinner.
(b) To ask if she saw the murder.
(c) To ask if she saw Wilton carrying anything the day of the murder.
(d) To ask if she has any new information in the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
2. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
3. What is a pension?
4. What type of accident is Royston in that forces him to borrow money from Harris to make it right?
5. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)