|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(b) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
(c) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(d) A musician he has seen in concert.
2. Who does Rutledge learn was engaged to Wilton during the war?
(a) Mrs. Davanent.
(b) Catherine Tarrant.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Helena Sommers.
3. What does Hamish tell Rutledge about his ability to finish this case with his reputation intact?
(a) He will need more help.
(b) He should resign rather than fail.
(c) He should be able to solve the case easily.
(d) It will never happen.
4. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(b) He cannot understand the women in the case.
(c) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(d) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
5. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
(a) Laurence Royston.
(b) Dr. Warren.
(c) Maggie Sommers.
(d) Rev. Carfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Sally Davenant?
3. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
4. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
5. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)