|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
2. Why does Royston tell Rutledge Sally Davenant chose to become a nurse during the war?
(a) To find a new husband.
(b) To keep busy while waiting for word on her cousin.
(c) To help her fellow villagers.
(d) To help her country.
3. What is an inquest?
(a) A murder investigation.
(b) A naming of susects in a murder investigation.
(c) A court hearing such as an arraignment.
(d) A judicial investigation into cause of death.
4. How does Rutledge calm Lettice Wood after insulting her by implying she had a hand in the murder?
(a) He tells her he will get a new investigator.
(b) He tells her he loves her.
(c) He promises to give her justice one way or another.
(d) He begs her to help him solve the case.
5. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
2. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
3. Who is the one character Rutledge most wants to interrogate in the murder investigation?
4. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
5. What does Rutledge realize he is lacking in Chapter 13 as to his list of suspects?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)