|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Davenant have to say about the murder victim in Chapter 3?
(a) He is kind and had no enemies.
(b) He was cruel and everyone wanted to kill him.
(c) She thought he was annoying.
(d) She knew he was interfering in Wilton's relationship with his fiancee.
2. Who does Rutledge discover Tarrant really is when he goes to see her in Chapter 8?
(a) An artist his sister greatly admires.
(b) A jewelry maker who made the ring he gave Jean.
(c) A musician he has seen in concert.
(d) A sculpture whose work he has seen in museums.
3. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
(a) Victoria Principal.
(b) Victory in the Pacific.
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) Victory in Europe.
4. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
(a) He cannot separate himself from the women in the case.
(b) He cannot understand the women in the case.
(c) He will never have a woman like Lettice Wood.
(d) He will never have so many women fight for his affections.
5. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
(a) A list of people who saw him making a speech in the town square.
(b) An affidavit from the innkeeper swearing Mavers was sleeping in one of his rooms.
(c) The testimony of Mavers' wife claiming he was at home that morning.
(d) A notorized note from his mother saying he was doing chores for her that morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
2. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
4. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
5. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)