|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To protect Rutledge.
(b) To avoid gossip.
(c) To hide her true feelings.
(d) To protect Wilton.
2. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Lying drunk on the ground.
(b) Arguing with Mavers.
(c) Directing traffic as though he is still in France.
(d) Stealing bread from the inn.
3. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is shy and reserved.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(d) She is promiscuous and flirty.
4. Does the doctor think Hickam will be able to provide helpful information in the investigation?
(a) No, he could not have seen anything the morning of the murder due to alcohol use.
(b) Yes, but not until he enters rehab and beats the alcohol.
(c) Yes, when he wakes.
(d) No, never.
5. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
(a) Those who lost family members.
(b) Those who never saw battle.
(c) Those with mental instability who do not know the war is over.
(d) Those with physical injuries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
2. What is guarding the Sommers home when Rutledge arrives in Chapter 7?
3. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
4. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
5. Who is Colonel Harris?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)