|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To be closer to his former fiancee.
(b) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(c) To get away from killing.
(d) To be close to his cousin.
2. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
(a) With a gunshot to the breast.
(b) With a shotgun blast to the face.
(c) With a poison.
(d) With a knife.
3. Who is Laurence Royston?
(a) Harris' cousin.
(b) Harris' man of business.
(c) Harris' butler.
(d) Harris' best friend.
4. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
(b) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
(c) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(d) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
5. What has Captain Wilton been doing with his time over the last few days of the investigation as has been revealed in Chapter 13?
(a) Attending numerous will readings for the murdered man.
(b) Arranging the difficult funeral for a headless corpse.
(c) Cancelling his wedding plans.
(d) Keeping his cousin from a nervous breakdown.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
2. What does Rutledge dream of doing when this case is over as discussed in Chapter 13?
3. Who does Davies say is a spineless coward in Chapter 2?
4. What was the profession of Mavers' father?
5. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)