|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' father.
(b) Mavers' brother.
(c) Mavers' sister.
(d) Mavers' cousin.
2. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(b) She is ugly and unpleasant.
(c) She is outgoing and confident.
(d) She is shy and reserved.
3. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New plane motors.
(b) New machines designed to kill.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New machine guns.
4. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(b) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
(c) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(d) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
5. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(b) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
(c) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(d) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Helena Sommers suggest might be the murderer in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
3. How does Lizzie Pinter react in Chapter 14 when Rutledge shows her the doll he found in an earlier chapter?
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
5. What does Lettice Wood think of Rutledge?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)