|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
(a) She is surprisingly kind.
(b) She is callous and cold.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is surprisingly cruel.
2. Who is Sally Davenant?
(a) Wilton's sister.
(b) Wilton's former fiancee.
(c) Wilton's mistress.
(d) Wilton's cousin.
3. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(b) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(c) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(d) He is simply annoying.
4. Why does Rutledge continue to hesitate to arrest Wilton at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He believes he is missing something.
(b) He believes the traumatized child saw the real killer and it was not Wilton.
(c) He believes Mavers is guilty.
(d) He believes Dr. Warren had more motive.
5. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(b) Miss Wood's maid.
(c) Mark Wilton.
(d) Mrs. Davenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who answers the door when Rutledge arrives at Helena Sommers' cottage in Chapter 7?
2. What does Wilton continuously refuse to answer each time Rutledge asks?
3. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
4. Who does Rutledge think about as he studies a portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
5. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)