|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rutledge hide out in Chapter 16 in order to review the evidence in the case one more time?
(a) The meadow where the body was discovered.
(c) His hotel room.
2. Why does Rutledge often go to church while investigating a murder?
(a) He is a highly religious man.
(b) It helps him get a feel for the villagers and suspects.
(c) He enjoys ritual.
(d) It helps him deal with Hamish.
3. What does Rutledge notice about the personality of Helena's sister when he meets her in Chapter 7?
(a) She is promiscuous and flirty.
(b) She is outgoing and confident.
(c) She is shy and reserved.
(d) She is ugly and unpleasant.
4. Who does Rutledge learn in Chapter 14 features prominently in Mavers' speeches?
(a) The King of England.
(b) The Russian Czar.
(c) The German Dictator.
(d) The American President.
5. Who finds the body of the murder victim?
(b) Mrs. Davenant.
(d) Lettice Wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
2. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
3. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
4. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
5. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)