|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
(a) He admires it.
(b) He cries.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He mocks it.
2. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
(a) She reminds him of his mother.
(b) She is more courageous than his former fiancee Jean.
(c) She is beautiful but he can never have her.
(d) She will not answer his questions.
3. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
(a) She is the one who committed the murder.
(b) She does not know who committed the murder.
(c) She knows who committed the murder.
(d) She does not care who committed the murder.
4. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' cousin.
(b) Mavers' sister.
(c) Mavers' father.
(d) Mavers' brother.
5. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A village farmer's wife.
(b) The child of a local aristocrat.
(c) A coal miner.
(d) A woman of ill repute.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does a witness claim Catherine Tarrant gave money after the murder?
2. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
3. Who is Lettice Wood's fiance?
4. What questions cause Lizzie Pinter to begin screaming in her grandmother's arms at the end of Chapter 18?
5. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)