|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rutledge go to speak to Wilton in the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The Inn.
(c) The Haldanes.
(d) Mrs. Davenant's.
2. Who is in charge of the murder investigation, as Rutledge learns at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Pastor Carfield.
(b) Captain Mark Wilton.
(c) Inspector Forrest.
(d) Sergeant Davies.
3. Who does the doctor tell Rutledge the town is about to lynch at the end of Chapter 4?
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Catherine Tarrant.
4. Who does Dr. Warren ask Rutledge to come with him to meet at the end of Chapter 11?
(b) Lizzie Pinter.
(c) A woman of ill repute.
(d) A servant of Catherine Tarrant.
5. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Dr. Warren.
(b) Maggie Sommers.
(c) Catherine Tarrant.
(d) Daniel Hickam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What label was Mavers given, as described in Chapter 5, that he chose to live up to?
2. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
3. What is the point of view of this novel?
4. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
5. How does Hamish McLeod respond to the portrait of Rolf Linden by Catherine Tarrant?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)