|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item in Mavers' house does Hamish find for Rutledge in Chapter 5?
(a) A canister of poison.
(b) A knife.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A shotgun.
2. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
(b) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(c) The person would rather work in the fields.
(d) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
3. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
(a) He has no alternative.
(b) He has to arrest someone.
(c) He thinks he is guilty.
(d) He dislikes him.
4. Who is Agnes Farrell?
(a) Grandmother to Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Grandmother to Helena Sommers.
(c) Grandmother to Lettice Wood.
(d) Grandmother to Lizzie Pinter.
5. How does Lizzie Pinter react to the sight of her father in Chapter 14?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is joyful.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She screams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion is uppermost in the murder victim's mind when he realizes he is dying?
2. What about the suspects does Rutledge have trouble identifying with at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Who does Rutledge nearly run over in the rain at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What does Carfield preach about in Chapter 15?
5. What does Rutledge realize about Lettice Wood that causes Hamish to talk to him about witches?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)