|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
(a) To get away from killing.
(b) To get away from the bustle of the city.
(c) To be close to his cousin.
(d) To be closer to his former fiancee.
2. What is Hickam doing the first time Rutledge sees him at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Lying drunk on the ground.
(b) Arguing with Mavers.
(c) Stealing bread from the inn.
(d) Directing traffic as though he is still in France.
3. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' brother.
(c) Mavers' father.
(d) Mavers' cousin.
4. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(b) He insulted Colonel Harris.
(c) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(d) He is simply annoying.
5. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the murder victim in this novel killed?
2. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
3. Who gives Mavers the item Rutledge finds in his home in Chapter 5?
4. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
5. What alibi does Inspector Forrest present to Rutledge for Mavers in Chapter 6?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)