|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New plane motors.
(b) New machine guns.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New machines designed to kill.
2. Why does Rutledge go to visit Mrs. Davenant in Chapter 3?
(a) Wilton lives with her. She can report on his actions the day of the murder.
(b) Wilton lives with her. She can keep him under supervision during the investigation.
(c) Wilton often visits her. She can offer an alibi for the day of the murder.
(d) Wilton often visits her. She is known to influence his behavior.
3. Who does Wilton recall meeting on his morning walk the day of the murder?
(a) Catherine Tarrant and her new lover.
(b) Maggie Sommers and a child.
(c) Helena Sommers and a child who had lost her doll.
(d) Hickam and a woman of ill repute.
4. Who first mentions Mavers to Rutledge while he is doing interviews?
(a) Mrs. Davenant.
(b) Miss Wood's maid.
(c) Lettice Wood.
(d) Mark Wilton.
5. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died in the Boer War?
(a) Mavers' sister.
(b) Mavers' father.
(c) Mavers' brother.
(d) Mavers' cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
2. Who, as described in Chapter 5, prevented Mavers from joining the Army at the beginning of World War I?
3. Who or what was the Victoria Cross named for?
4. What emotion does Rutledge recognize brings on Hamish McLeod's voice quickly in his mind?
5. Where did the murder that will be investigated in this novel take place?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)