|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lettice Wood claim was taken from her by the refusal to allow her to see her guardian's body one last time?
(a) A chance to give him one last kiss.
(b) A chance to bury him with the rosary he held so dear.
(c) A chance to lay a rose with his body.
(d) A chance to say goodbye.
2. What image has been in Lettice Wood's head since learning of her guardian's violent death?
(a) His smiling face as she last saw it.
(b) His mangled body.
(c) A bloody shirt front.
(d) A bloody mass of flesh.
3. Why does Rutledge become angry in Chapter 7 while talking with Lettice Wood?
(a) She will not answer his questions.
(b) She reminds him of his mother.
(c) She is more courageous than his former fiancee Jean.
(d) She is beautiful but he can never have her.
4. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New tanks.
(b) New plane motors.
(c) New machines designed to kill.
(d) New machine guns.
5. What does the item Rutledge finds in the meadow in Chapter 12 tell Rutledge?
(a) Wilton lied and he must be the killer.
(b) Wilton lied about seeing Helena Sommers the morning of the murder.
(c) That Wilton was truthful about his activities that day and there might be another witness.
(d) Wilton told the truth about who he saw the morning of the murder, but where he saw them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wilton claim he moved to the small country village?
2. Who does Rutledge suggest to Wilton might have been the real murderer?
3. Who does Mavers ask to leave while speaking with Rutledge so that he might speak openly without fear of judgment?
4. What is a pension?
5. For whom does Ted Pinter work?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)