|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Helena Sommers admit she saw the morning of the murder in Chapter 4?
(b) Lettice Wood.
2. Why did a mob try to lynch Mavers in Chapter 5?
(a) He claimed Wilton killed the murder victim.
(b) He insisted that Germans are our friends.
(c) He is simply annoying.
(d) He insulted Colonel Harris.
3. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Reading the evidence.
(b) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(c) Concentrating on testimony.
(d) Understanding the method of death.
4. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
(a) In a corn field.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) In a dining room.
(d) In a bedroom.
5. When does Catherine Tarrant claim a person never knows fear?
(a) When they know they have justice on their side.
(b) When they have all they ever wanted.
(c) When they have nothing to lose.
(d) When they have all the money they could need.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
2. Who, as described in Chapter 5, died of drowning?
3. Who remains Rutledge's prime suspect in the investigation as Chapter 12 draws to a close?
4. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
5. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)