|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Men without titles.
(b) Wealthy men.
(c) Working men.
(d) Men with titles.
2. What illness does Rutledge learn Hickam suffers in Chapter 7?
(a) Liver disease.
(b) Alcohol poisoning.
(c) A head injury.
(d) Kidney disease.
3. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
(a) He was unsatisfied with life.
(b) He was depressed.
(c) He was very, very happy.
(d) He was preoccupied.
4. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Reading the evidence.
(b) Understanding the method of death.
(c) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(d) Concentrating on testimony.
5. Who does Catherine Tarrant ask to model for one of her paintings in Chapter 6?
(a) A village farmer's wife.
(b) A woman of ill repute.
(c) The child of a local aristocrat.
(d) A coal miner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the death of Catherine Tarrant's German lover?
2. What does Rutledge tell Bowles when he calls from Scotland Yard in Chapter 9?
3. Who is Sally Davenant?
4. What does Lettice Wood's violent reaction to the question of whether or not Catherine Tarrant had shot the murder victim cause Rutledge to realize about her?
5. Who saves Mavers from the murderous mob in Chapter 5?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)