|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge have trouble doing at the end of Chapter 4 that worries him about his ability to solve the case?
(a) Getting into the mind of the murder victim.
(b) Concentrating on testimony.
(c) Reading the evidence.
(d) Understanding the method of death.
2. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
(a) Working men.
(b) Wealthy men.
(c) Men without titles.
(d) Men with titles.
3. Who does Davies think should be recorded as the murderer in Chapter 7?
(a) Lettice Wood.
(d) Persons unknown.
4. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
(a) The person would rather work in the fields.
(b) The person would like to but her parents would not approve.
(c) The person would rather starve than take money from Tarrant.
(d) The person would like to but is afraid of public scandal.
5. What did the government want Wilton to help build as he mentions in Chapter 3?
(a) New machine guns.
(b) New machines designed to kill.
(c) New tanks.
(d) New plane motors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the body of the murder victim found?
2. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
3. What does Lettice Wood say the murder victim's state of mind was in the days before his death?
4. Rutledge returns to the meadow in Chapter 12 and finds what object?
5. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)