|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Rutledge repeatedly ask Lettice Wood that she refuses to answer?
(a) What did Harris think of Wilton?
(b) Who murdered Harris?
(c) What did Wilton know about Harris' business deals?
(d) Why would Harris call off her wedding?
2. Why does Lettice Wood lie to her maid about her crying jag in Chapter 9?
(a) To avoid gossip.
(b) To hide her true feelings.
(c) To protect Rutledge.
(d) To protect Wilton.
3. Why does Rutledge find himself forced to shoot McLeod after he faced the firing squad?
(a) McLeod managed to escape the firing squad.
(b) McLeod asked for Rutledge to fire the fatal shot.
(c) The firing squad chickened out in killing McLeod.
(d) The firing squad failed to kill McLeod.
4. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
(a) He becomes angry and insults everyone.
(b) He is content enough to watch the interaction of the villagers for a brief time.
(c) He is joyous and filled with laughter.
(d) He becomes distraught and quickly leaves.
5. Who does Rutledge resolve at the end of Chapter 10 to learn more about?
(a) Catherine Tarrant.
(b) Lettice Wood.
(c) Sergeant Davies.
(d) Mark Wilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Catherine Tarrant receive when she asks a person in Chapter 6 to model for a painting?
2. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
3. What does Hamish imply to Rutledge as Rutledge listens to Lettice Wood and Mark Wilton discuss the cancellation of their wedding?
4. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
5. Why is Rutledge so determined to arrest Mark Wilton?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)