|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rutledge find unusual about the nurse's attitude toward Hickam in Chapter 9?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is surprisingly kind.
(c) She is surprisingly cruel.
(d) She is callous and cold.
2. What did Hamish McLeod refuse to do that caused Rutledge to send him to stand before the firing squad during World War I?
(a) He tried to kill Rutledge.
(b) He killed another soldier in their squad.
(c) Refused to leave the battlefield.
(d) Refused to follow a direct order.
3. How does Mavers react to the conversation he has in the church yard after services in Chapter 15?
(a) He is content enough to watch the interaction of the villagers for a brief time.
(b) He is joyous and filled with laughter.
(c) He becomes distraught and quickly leaves.
(d) He becomes angry and insults everyone.
4. Who, as revealed in Chapter 10, is receiving a pension from an unknown source?
5. Why does Redfern tell Rutledge he believes a fight between Harris and Refern the Tuesday before the murder could not have been terribly serious?
(a) Harris walked with her in the garden immediately afterward.
(b) Lettice Wood was happy a few days later.
(c) Harris told him it was just a lover's tiff.
(d) Lettice Wood told him it was not serious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is implied by the fight that Harris and Lettice had in the inn before Harris' death?
2. What makes Lettice Wood decide Mark Wilton could not have killed her guardian?
3. Who does Rutledge run into in Chapter 5 after leaving Mavers?
4. What class of people does Mavers claim are oppressed in Chapter 5?
5. Which veterans of the war does Wilton suggest are the worst off?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)