* Colonel Harris is murdered by a shotgun blast to the face.
* Scotland Yard detective gives the Harris case to Ian Rutledge in hopes it will finish his declining reputation.
* Ian Rutledge is suffering from the effects of his service in World War I and hears the voice of his dead corporeal.
* Ian Rutledge begins the case by talking to Sergeant Davies who has been assigned to assist him.
* They discuss the key witness, Daniel Hickam, who is a drunk and who accuses Captain Mark Wilton of the crime.
* Captain Wilton is a friend of the Prince of Wales and engaged to Harris' ward, Lettice.
* Lettice Wood is interviewed. She is grief stricken and sedated and Ian Rutledge feels her behavior is off.
* The servants are interviewed. Rutledge and Davies learn that there was a fight between Harris and Wilton the night before the murder.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)