|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeff on again during his sophomore year of high school, though he would never have thought it to be the case?
2. Who called the Professor and told him about Jeff's performance in school, though Jeff had tried to hide it?
3. Brother Thomas tells Jeff that he will finally have to tell the Professor what he is ______________.
4. What does Jeff begin to do as it's the only thing which reminds him of the excitement he felt at the beach?
5. When the Professor goes to Baltimore, who does he stay with on these nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff realize about Dicey when Dicey's mother dies?
2. Who are the two students that Jeff finds interesting at Chrisfeld school?
3. What does the girl that stops to listen to Jeff do when she comes back to visit a second time?
4. What was Phil's impression of Jeff's mother when she stopped in town to visit Jeff?
5. What does Melody say that she is doing with Max which is why she wants to say goodbye to Jeff?
6. What does Jeff do during the last free period of the day during his sophomore year of high school?
7. What had Melody told Jeff she would have done if he was a girl instead of a boy?
8. What kind of business does Jeff set up over the summer with the help of the Tillermans?
9. What does Jeff do for the Tillermans, though he has gone out of his way to avoid them after Melody's visit?
10. What does Melody believe about the reason why Jeff decided to stay with his father instead of with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is revealed that Jeff is actually a very smart man, though his mother and others were quick to point out his faults.
Part 1: Why do you think Melody wanted Jeff to feel as though he was not smart?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor didn't push Jeff harder in school?
Part 3: Do you think Jeff was a smart student all along? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The complexity of the relationships in this story mirror so many other families in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think the adults in this story seem to have so many troubles with their relationships?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff is put into the middle of the problems with his parents?
Part 3: Why do you think relationships are so difficult?
Essay Topic 3
When Melody decides she wants custody of Jeff, he responds in a different way than he might have expected a few years earlier.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff reacts in the way he does when Melody decides she wants custody?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor acts in the way he does when Melody decides she wants custody?
Part 3: Why do you think Melody decides she wants custody of Jeff after all of these years?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)