|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phil tells Jeff it must be great to have a _____________ mother like Melody in his life.
2. At whose farmhouse does Jeff begin to spend more and more time?
3. Jeff suggests that Melody keep the _____________ instead of selling it.
4. Melody tells Jeff she knows he picked his father because he is the ____________________.
5. Where does Melody say she is going in order to help teach villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the girl that stops to listen to Jeff do when she comes back to visit a second time?
2. What does Jeff begin to realize the principal at his school and Melody did when he receives all As?
3. Why does Jeff begin to ride the roller coasters after returning home to his father's house?
4. When Jeff is asked to write an essay about a real character for his English class, who does he write about?
5. Why does Jeff decide to stay instead of running away from Melody as she sits on the lawn?
6. What does Jeff do during the last free period of the day during his sophomore year of high school?
7. What does Jeff begin to do in order to see Dicey more often, meeting her brother at the same time?
8. Why do Brother Thomas and the Professor show up at the amusement park to see Jeff?
9. Ten days before school lets out, what does Jeff see when he reaches his house?
10. Why is the Professor worried when Gambo's lawyer is coming to visit their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is revealed that Jeff is actually a very smart man, though his mother and others were quick to point out his faults.
Part 1: Why do you think Melody wanted Jeff to feel as though he was not smart?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor didn't push Jeff harder in school?
Part 3: Do you think Jeff was a smart student all along? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When the Professor gets a lot of money for his book, he realizes they can move to a fancy house. But he and Jeff decide not to do so.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor and Jeff decide to live in the isolated cabin?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor even suggested he and Jeff move to a bigger house?
Part 3: Why is the cabin setting a good environment for both the Professor and for Jeff?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout life, people make decisions based on the reactions of others. Jeff does this often in accordance to his parents and with whom he is living.
Part 1: Why does Jeff favor his mother at the starting point of this story?
Part 2: Why does Jeff change his mind about his mother at one point of the story?
Part 3: Which parent does Jeff seem to love more? Why?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)