|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All winter, Phil and Andy talk and worry about ________________, but Jeff avoids the subject.
2. The Professor reveals that Melody's ______________ hurt him repeatedly.
3. Melody asks if they can put everything behind them and Jeff says that he ______________.
4. Who does Jeff write about for the essay in his English class, though his teacher mocks him?
5. Which of Dicey's sisters is quiet, gentle, and has a beautiful singing voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is waiting for Jeff when he returns from his visit with Melody?
2. What does Jeff do for the Tillermans, though he has gone out of his way to avoid them after Melody's visit?
3. What does Jeff begin to realize the principal at his school and Melody did when he receives all As?
4. Why is the Professor worried when Gambo's lawyer is coming to visit their house?
5. What does the girl that stops to listen to Jeff do when she comes back to visit a second time?
6. What does Melody say that she is doing with Max which is why she wants to say goodbye to Jeff?
7. Why does Jeff suddenly feel that his life is rich at the start of this chapter?
8. What does Wilhemina tell Jeff about the Tillerman family and how they arrived at their current home?
9. When Jeff is asked to write an essay about a real character for his English class, who does he write about?
10. What is the achievement Jeff learns he and Dicey both share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Jeff realizes his mother never did understand the idea of value, though he realizes he can - and does.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff's mother was so focused on money?
Part 2: Why do you think Melody is as damaged as she is in this story?
Part 3: Do you think there is any hope for Melody to become a supportive parent for Jeff? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Brother Thomas and the Professor is a friendly one, but seems to be more complicated than it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think Brother Thomas and the Professor are friends in this story?
Part 2: Do you think Brother Thomas helps Jeff during this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: If Brother Thomas had not been around, what might have happened to the Professor and to Jeff?
Essay Topic 3
During the case of separate and divorce, children are often made to chose one parent over another, as Jeff was.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a child to choose a side during a divorce?
Part 2: Why do you think it's unfair to have a child make a decision about who he should live with?
Part 3: In what ways might Jeff's life have been affected if he had made the opposite decisions about the parent to live with?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)