|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lawyer is surprised by the Professor, who ______________ had led to believe was difficult and bitter.
2. Jeff learns that Dicey also cut teacher Chapelle down to size. Which subject does Chapelle teach?
3. Melody says that she merely wants a ______________ from Jeff before she leaves on a trip.
4. Melody says that she couldn't be happy knowing about the situation in ___________ and doing nothing.
5. At whose farmhouse does Jeff begin to spend more and more time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff begin to do in order to see Dicey more often, meeting her brother at the same time?
2. Why does Jeff suddenly feel that his life is rich at the start of this chapter?
3. When Jeff is asked to write an essay about a real character for his English class, who does he write about?
4. What does Jeff begin to realize the principal at his school and Melody did when he receives all As?
5. Why does Sammy think that if his sister turned out to be like their mom it wouldn't be a bad thing?
6. Who is waiting for Jeff when he returns from his visit with Melody?
7. Who are the two students that Jeff finds interesting at Chrisfeld school?
8. What had Melody told Jeff she would have done if he was a girl instead of a boy?
9. Why is the Professor worried when Gambo's lawyer is coming to visit their house?
10. What does Jeff realize about Dicey when Dicey's mother dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger is an emotion which is often suppressed in the modern world. We are told anger is negative and that it only hurts people.
Part 1: What do you think about expressing anger? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff is so hesitant to be angry with his mother?
Part 3: Why do you think Jeff feels so guilty after expressing his anger with this mother?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout life, people make decisions based on the reactions of others. Jeff does this often in accordance to his parents and with whom he is living.
Part 1: Why does Jeff favor his mother at the starting point of this story?
Part 2: Why does Jeff change his mind about his mother at one point of the story?
Part 3: Which parent does Jeff seem to love more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jeff is a character who is eager to please his parents, no matter what they might do to him.
Part 1: Why does Jeff feel he always needs to please his parents?
Part 2: Do you think Jeff should always try to make his parents happy? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the importance of Jeff's efforts to please his parents?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)