|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phil tells Jeff it must be great to have a _____________ mother like Melody in his life.
2. The Professor talks about how his book has been successful, and that they can move to a _____________ in Baltimore if they want.
3. What is Jeff on again during his sophomore year of high school, though he would never have thought it to be the case?
4. What is the name of Dicey's brother, who Jeff meets when he is spending more time with Dicey?
5. The Professor reveals that Melody's ______________ hurt him repeatedly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff begin to realize the principal at his school and Melody did when he receives all As?
2. What kind of business does Jeff set up over the summer with the help of the Tillermans?
3. Why does Sammy think that if his sister turned out to be like their mom it wouldn't be a bad thing?
4. What does Jeff realize about Dicey when Dicey's mother dies?
5. What does Jeff do during the last free period of the day during his sophomore year of high school?
6. What does Wilhemina tell Jeff about the Tillerman family and how they arrived at their current home?
7. Why do Brother Thomas and the Professor show up at the amusement park to see Jeff?
8. What does the girl that stops to listen to Jeff do when she comes back to visit a second time?
9. Why is the Professor worried when Gambo's lawyer is coming to visit their house?
10. When Jeff is asked to write an essay about a real character for his English class, who does he write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The complexity of the relationships in this story mirror so many other families in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think the adults in this story seem to have so many troubles with their relationships?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff is put into the middle of the problems with his parents?
Part 3: Why do you think relationships are so difficult?
Essay Topic 2
Jeff is a character who is eager to please his parents, no matter what they might do to him.
Part 1: Why does Jeff feel he always needs to please his parents?
Part 2: Do you think Jeff should always try to make his parents happy? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the importance of Jeff's efforts to please his parents?
Essay Topic 3
No matter what happens with his mom, Jeff seems to still want a relationship with her. Even with unanswered letters, he continues to hold onto the picture of her he has in his head.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff is so committed to being loyal to his mother?
Part 2: If you were Jeff, would you be so loyal? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that Jeff should have given his mother another chance? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)