|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeff tells the Professor that Melody had said she would have taken him with her had Jeff been _____________.
(a) A girl
(b) An older man
(c) Not like his father
(d) A baby
2. What did Jeff do in Charleston on his last day so that no one else could have it?
(a) Sank the boat
(b) Burn the house
(c) Hid his diary
(d) Broke his guitar
3. ____________ enjoys watching the herons and playing the guitar, content finally in his solitude.
(a) Brother Thomas
(c) The Professor
4. Jeff feels sorry for Melody who never knew what the real ____________ were, according to him.
5. Where do Jeff and the Professor decide to talk when they are ready to talk?
(a) Kitchen table
(b) A coffee shop
(d) The basement
Short Answer Questions
1. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
2. Which of Dicey's sisters is quiet, gentle, and has a beautiful singing voice?
3. What is NOT one of the things Jeff does to protect the emotions he is feeling about Melody?
4. Jeff finds the girl's ____________ appealing and he likes the way she is helpless to the music.
5. Who is the girl that Jeff meets when he is playing his guitar, though she leaves abruptly the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Melody believe about the reason why Jeff decided to stay with his father instead of with her?
2. Why is the Professor worried when Gambo's lawyer is coming to visit their house?
3. What is the achievement Jeff learns he and Dicey both share?
4. What does the girl that stops to listen to Jeff do when she comes back to visit a second time?
5. What kind of business does Jeff set up over the summer with the help of the Tillermans?
6. What does Jeff do for the Tillermans, though he has gone out of his way to avoid them after Melody's visit?
7. What does Jeff begin to do in order to see Dicey more often, meeting her brother at the same time?
8. Why does Jeff decide to stay instead of running away from Melody as she sits on the lawn?
9. What does Jeff do during the last free period of the day during his sophomore year of high school?
10. What does Wilhemina tell Jeff about the Tillerman family and how they arrived at their current home?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)