|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeff doesn't care what's happening to him at school, because of _____________, "nothing could touch him."
(a) His guitar
(c) The Professor
2. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
3. What is the weather like when Jeff is sitting at the island before he leaves for his father's house?
4. Professor notes that Tolstoy once said that every unhappy family is ____________ in its own way.
5. What does Jeff stop doing because he realizes the Professor likes order and routine?
(a) Doing his homework
Short Answer Questions
1. The Professor decides they need a ________________ to help them take care of Jeff and the house.
2. Melody tells Jeff that Gambo has had ______________ and is very weak as a result.
3. Melody asks Jeff is life is very ____________ for him, though she then tells him not to answer and make her feel guiltier.
4. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
5. Melody tells Jeff that she wouldn't leave him if she thought she had to ____________ about him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff do with the money he saves up from his weekly allowance he receives from his father?
2. What does Jeff say when Brother Thomas asks Jeff if he will go back to visit Melody the next summer?
3. What does Jeff do when he goes to the island for one final time in Charleston?
4. What is happening at the house where Melody says that she and Jeff need to stop?
5. What does Gambo remind Jeff of the next day at the breakfast table which makes Jeff feel uncomfortable?
6. What does Melody tell Jeff about the river in Charleston when they are out exploring the tow?
7. What does Melody tell Jeff when they are out on their walk together?
8. What does Max tell Jeff about the relationship between Melody and the Professor?
9. What does Jeff see as he lingers a bit on more on the island before returning to Baltimore?
10. What happens after the Professor offers to buy Jeff a new guitar if he wants one?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)