|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Dicey's brother, who Jeff meets when he is spending more time with Dicey?
2. Melody says that she couldn't be happy knowing about the situation in ___________ and doing nothing.
(b) Max's life
(c) The Professor's life
(d) His heart
3. When does Jeff sit outside the school and play guitar in order to work on some songs?
(a) Last free period
(b) He doesn't
(c) Lunch hour
(d) First free period
4. Who is the girl that Jeff meets when he is playing his guitar, though she leaves abruptly the first time?
(a) Dicey Tillerman
(b) Julie Rosen
(c) Abgail Tillerman
(d) Janice Proeson
5. There is something about the girl Jeff meets that reminds him of his island in _______________.
(a) South Carolina
(b) North Carolina
6. When Dicey's ______________ dies, Jeff understands and he knows to leave her alone.
7. What is Jeff on again during his sophomore year of high school, though he would never have thought it to be the case?
(a) Detention list
(b) Academic probation
(c) Advanced students list
(d) Honor roll
8. ____________ doesn't try to get in touch with Jeff after the incident they shared.
9. What did Jeff do in Charleston on his last day so that no one else could have it?
(a) Broke his guitar
(b) Hid his diary
(c) Burn the house
(d) Sank the boat
10. Who called the Professor and told him about Jeff's performance in school, though Jeff had tried to hide it?
(a) The principal
(b) No one, the Professor knew
(d) Brother Thomas
11. Jeff realizes that ______________ is feeling bleak and hopeless during that summer.
(b) Brother Thomas
(c) The Professor
12. Who does Jeff write about for the essay in his English class, though his teacher mocks him?
(a) John Adams
(c) John C. Calhoun
(d) The Professor
13. Where does Jeff begin to hang out in order to spend more time with Dicey?
(b) Music store
(c) Grocery store
14. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
(b) Phone conversations
15. That summer, Jeff decides to set up a _____________ business with the Tillermans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melody asks if they can put everything behind them and Jeff says that he ______________.
2. Jeff has emotionally gone inside of himself, to a small ______ where he locked the memories of his day and night spent on the beach.
3. Where did Dicey and her siblings travel from when their mother was put into a hospital?
4. Which of Dicey's sisters is quiet, gentle, and has a beautiful singing voice?
5. When Dicey becomes angry with Jeff, he begins to feel the same way he felt when ____________ was angry with him.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)