|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is something about the girl Jeff meets that reminds him of his island in _______________.
(a) South Carolina
(d) North Carolina
2. What is Jeff doing in the bay when he realizes that he has practiced not being anybody, though he wants to learn who he is?
(a) Skipping stones
(b) Playing his guitar
3. When the Professor goes to Baltimore, who does he stay with on these nights?
(d) Brother Thomas
4. All winter, Phil and Andy talk and worry about ________________, but Jeff avoids the subject.
5. As the spring comes, Jeff prepares the _____________ and begins to see the herons again.
6. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
(a) Phone conversations
7. What does the Professor show to Jeff at the end of October, though he does not show any expression as to how he feels about it?
(a) The divorce papers
(b) His old guitar
(c) His published book
(d) His wedding pictures
8. Melody tells Jeff she knows he picked his father because he is the ____________________.
(a) Nice one
(b) Rich and famous one
(c) Peaceful one
(d) Smart one
9. Jeff realizes that the only thing the Professor wants for him is for Jeff to be ______________.
10. The lawyer tells Jeff that Gambo had decided that the ______________ descendant should inherit her estate.
11. The lawyer that is coming to visit the Professor and Jeff is the lawyer of ______________.
(a) Miss Opal
12. Dicey asks Jeff to go _____________ and he almost says no, but accepts and is glad that he did.
(a) To the prom
(c) To her room
(d) To the bar
13. Where did Dicey and her siblings travel from when their mother was put into a hospital?
14. Brother Thomas tells Jeff that he will finally have to tell the Professor what he is ______________.
(a) Afraid of
15. At whose farmhouse does Jeff begin to spend more and more time?
(d) Brother Thomas'
Short Answer Questions
1. James tells Jeff that Dicey knows how to __________ and did it frequently on their trip after their mother was put in the hospital.
2. What does Jeff begin to do as a result of running away from his school work?
3. What is NOT one of the things Jeff does to protect the emotions he is feeling about Melody?
4. What is Jeff on again during his sophomore year of high school, though he would never have thought it to be the case?
5. Jeff realizes that Dicey is as private and solitary in her grief as _____________.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)