|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All winter, Phil and Andy talk and worry about ________________, but Jeff avoids the subject.
2. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
(b) Phone conversations
3. What does Jeff decide to invite Brother Thomas to do in order to make him feel better?
(a) Go crabbing
(b) Invite him to live with them
(c) Go to a concert
(d) Play a song for him
4. Melody asks if they can put everything behind them and Jeff says that he ______________.
(a) Already has
(b) Never will
(c) Thinks that's not fair
(d) Isn't sure
5. Melody says that she merely wants a ______________ from Jeff before she leaves on a trip.
6. What does Jeff begin to do as a result of running away from his school work?
(a) Flunk classes
(b) Excel at school
(c) Smoke pot
(d) Dates a few girls
7. What does Jeff decide to give to Miss Opal from his inheritance?
(a) The ring
(c) A book
(d) The estate
8. Phil tells Jeff it must be great to have a _____________ mother like Melody in his life.
9. What is the name of Dicey's brother, who Jeff meets when he is spending more time with Dicey?
10. ____________ tells Jeff he worries he might be losing touch with Jeff again.
(c) Brother Thomas
(d) The Professor
11. At whose farmhouse does Jeff begin to spend more and more time?
(c) Brother Thomas'
12. Jeff feels that if he didn't keep all of his emotions hidden away, he would fall apart into ______________.
(a) A pile of feathers
(b) A mess
(c) Broken pieces
(d) A quiet song
13. James tells Jeff that Dicey knows how to __________ and did it frequently on their trip after their mother was put in the hospital.
(c) Be angry
(d) Run away
14. Jeff realizes that Melody and his principal at the University School tried to make him believe he wasn't ______________.
(c) A hard worker
15. Where do Jeff and the Professor decide to talk when they are ready to talk?
(b) A coffee shop
(c) The basement
(d) Kitchen table
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeff doing in the bay when he realizes that he has practiced not being anybody, though he wants to learn who he is?
2. What is NOT one of the things Jeff does to protect the emotions he is feeling about Melody?
3. When Dicey becomes angry with Jeff, he begins to feel the same way he felt when ____________ was angry with him.
4. Jeff tells the Professor that Melody had said she would have taken him with her had Jeff been _____________.
5. Where does Melody say she is going in order to help teach villagers?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)