|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ tells Jeff that Dicey and her siblings traveled alone to their home when their mother was put into a mental hospital.
2. Who is waiting for Jeff when he returns to the Baltimore airport this time?
(a) Brother Thomas
(b) No one
(c) The Professor
3. Jeff tells the Professor that he is okay, but that __________ what he had done to Melody is the hardest part.
4. What does the girl do when she returns a week later after running away from Jeff and his guitar?
(a) She hugs him
(b) Brings him a book
(c) Sings along with him
(d) Kisses him
5. ____________ doesn't try to get in touch with Jeff after the incident they shared.
6. Who does Jeff see riding his bike during the icy rain, so he picks him up in his car?
7. Who called the Professor and told him about Jeff's performance in school, though Jeff had tried to hide it?
(b) Brother Thomas
(c) The principal
(d) No one, the Professor knew
8. What does Jeff begin to do as it's the only thing which reminds him of the excitement he felt at the beach?
(b) Steal cars
(c) Ride roller coasters
(d) Play his guitar
9. Melody asks if they can put everything behind them and Jeff says that he ______________.
(a) Already has
(b) Never will
(c) Thinks that's not fair
(d) Isn't sure
10. What is the reason for Dicey's anger, which quickly passes once she realizes what is happening?
(a) She was angry at someone else
(b) She was suprised
(c) She was tired
(d) She was busy
11. James tells Jeff that Dicey knows how to __________ and did it frequently on their trip after their mother was put in the hospital.
(c) Be angry
(d) Run away
12. What is NOT one of the things Jeff does to protect the emotions he is feeling about Melody?
(a) Stops loving Melody
(b) Stops playing guitar
(c) Stops participating in school
(d) Stops talking to the Professor
13. What did Jeff do in Charleston on his last day so that no one else could have it?
(a) Broke his guitar
(b) Burn the house
(c) Hid his diary
(d) Sank the boat
14. Jeff realizes that ______________ is feeling bleak and hopeless during that summer.
(a) Brother Thomas
(d) The Professor
15. Where does Melody say she is going in order to help teach villagers?
(b) South America
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl that Jeff meets when he is playing his guitar, though she leaves abruptly the first time?
2. Jeff finds the girl's ____________ appealing and he likes the way she is helpless to the music.
3. Jeff realizes he would really treasure the ________________ as a connection to the past.
4. Jeff learns that Dicey also cut teacher Chapelle down to size. Which subject does Chapelle teach?
5. ____________ enjoys watching the herons and playing the guitar, content finally in his solitude.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)