|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeff tells the Professor that he is okay, but that __________ what he had done to Melody is the hardest part.
2. Phil tells Jeff it must be great to have a _____________ mother like Melody in his life.
3. When does Jeff sit outside the school and play guitar in order to work on some songs?
(a) Lunch hour
(b) Last free period
(c) He doesn't
(d) First free period
4. Melody says that she merely wants a ______________ from Jeff before she leaves on a trip.
5. The lawyer tells Jeff that Gambo had decided that the ______________ descendant should inherit her estate.
6. What does the girl do when she returns a week later after running away from Jeff and his guitar?
(a) Brings him a book
(b) Sings along with him
(c) Kisses him
(d) She hugs him
7. ____________ doesn't try to get in touch with Jeff after the incident they shared.
8. ____________ enjoys watching the herons and playing the guitar, content finally in his solitude.
(b) The Professor
(c) Brother Thomas
9. A girl seems to be drawn against her will by the ______________ when Jeff is outside.
10. What did Jeff do in Charleston on his last day so that no one else could have it?
(a) Sank the boat
(b) Burn the house
(c) Broke his guitar
(d) Hid his diary
11. Jeff realizes that Dicey is as private and solitary in her grief as _____________.
(a) He is
(c) Brother Thomas
(d) The Professor
12. ____________ tells Jeff that Dicey and her siblings traveled alone to their home when their mother was put into a mental hospital.
13. Who does Jeff write about for the essay in his English class, though his teacher mocks him?
(a) The Professor
(b) John C. Calhoun
(d) John Adams
14. Whose car does Jeff see when he is coming home ten days before school lets out?
(b) The Professor's
15. As the spring comes, Jeff prepares the _____________ and begins to see the herons again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeff realizes that ______________ is feeling bleak and hopeless during that summer.
2. Jeff finds the girl's ____________ appealing and he likes the way she is helpless to the music.
3. Where do Jeff and the Professor decide to talk when they are ready to talk?
4. What does Jeff decide to give to Miss Opal from his inheritance?
5. The Professor reveals that Melody's ______________ hurt him repeatedly.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)