|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Professor goes to Baltimore, who does he stay with on these nights?
(d) Brother Thomas
2. What does the Professor show to Jeff at the end of October, though he does not show any expression as to how he feels about it?
(a) The divorce papers
(b) His published book
(c) His old guitar
(d) His wedding pictures
3. Jeff thinks the Tillermans worry not about _____________, but about living right for each other, together.
4. As the spring comes, Jeff prepares the _____________ and begins to see the herons again.
5. ____________ tells Jeff that Dicey and her siblings traveled alone to their home when their mother was put into a mental hospital.
6. All winter, Phil and Andy talk and worry about ________________, but Jeff avoids the subject.
7. What does Jeff decide to invite Brother Thomas to do in order to make him feel better?
(a) Go to a concert
(b) Go crabbing
(c) Play a song for him
(d) Invite him to live with them
8. Jeff learns that Dicey also cut teacher Chapelle down to size. Which subject does Chapelle teach?
9. There is something about the girl Jeff meets that reminds him of his island in _______________.
(c) North Carolina
(d) South Carolina
10. Sammy tells Jeff that Sammy's mother was more than just one _______________.
(c) Bad thing
11. Melody says that she merely wants a ______________ from Jeff before she leaves on a trip.
12. Jeff realizes that Melody and his principal at the University School tried to make him believe he wasn't ______________.
(c) A hard worker
13. What is Jeff doing in the bay when he realizes that he has practiced not being anybody, though he wants to learn who he is?
(a) Playing his guitar
(c) Skipping stones
14. Jeff suggests that Melody keep the _____________ instead of selling it.
(a) Jade ring
(b) Engagement ring
15. Who does Jeff write about for the essay in his English class, though his teacher mocks him?
(b) The Professor
(c) John Adams
(d) John C. Calhoun
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Dicey's anger, which quickly passes once she realizes what is happening?
2. Where do Jeff and the Professor decide to talk when they are ready to talk?
3. Jeff has emotionally gone inside of himself, to a small ______ where he locked the memories of his day and night spent on the beach.
4. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
5. When does Jeff sit outside the school and play guitar in order to work on some songs?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)