|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James tells Jeff that Dicey knows how to __________ and did it frequently on their trip after their mother was put in the hospital.
(b) Be angry
(c) Run away
2. Jeff has emotionally gone inside of himself, to a small ______ where he locked the memories of his day and night spent on the beach.
3. What is Jeff surprised to find on his report card, though his father is not?
(a) All As
(b) All Bs
(c) All Ds
(d) All Fs
4. Where does Melody say she is going in order to help teach villagers?
(a) South America
5. Jeff tells the Professor that he is okay, but that __________ what he had done to Melody is the hardest part.
6. Jeff thinks the Tillermans worry not about _____________, but about living right for each other, together.
7. Brother Thomas sends Jeff ____________ about his father from national magazines and papers.
(c) Phone conversations
8. Who does Jeff invite out on his boat once school finally lets out for the year?
(a) Phil Milson
(b) Peter Smith
(c) Brother Thomas
(d) Andy Barrows
9. As the spring comes, Jeff prepares the _____________ and begins to see the herons again.
10. When Dicey becomes angry with Jeff, he begins to feel the same way he felt when ____________ was angry with him.
(b) Brother Thomas
(c) The Professor
11. ___________ doesn't tell anyone how he feels as he doesn't think he deserves comfort or sympathy.
(a) Brother Thomas
(b) The Professor
12. Brother Thomas tells Jeff that he will finally have to tell the Professor what he is ______________.
(a) Afraid of
13. What does Jeff begin to do as a result of running away from his school work?
(a) Smoke pot
(b) Flunk classes
(c) Excel at school
(d) Dates a few girls
14. ____________ doesn't try to get in touch with Jeff after the incident they shared.
15. The Professor reveals that Melody's ______________ hurt him repeatedly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeff decide to give to Miss Opal from his inheritance?
2. Jeff feels that if he didn't keep all of his emotions hidden away, he would fall apart into ______________.
3. What is NOT one of the things Jeff does to protect the emotions he is feeling about Melody?
4. Jeff realizes that ______________ is feeling bleak and hopeless during that summer.
5. When Dicey's ______________ dies, Jeff understands and he knows to leave her alone.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)