|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Professor talks to Jeff about how ____________ and helpless Melody made him feel when they were together.
2. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
3. Jeff finally decides that ________ someone means loving them even if they don't do what you want.
(a) Be related to
(d) Living with
4. Jeff feels bad about the money that the Professor is paying for his __________ since he things it's been a waste.
(d) Guitar lessons
5. Melody introduces Jeff to the two women as the ________________ even though they did not know of him.
(a) Man that looks like his father
(b) Son she is proud of
(c) Man in her life
(d) Son she never wanted
6. Jeff continues to ___________ to Melody each and every month, even though she does not reply.
(a) Send packages
(b) Place calls
(c) Write letters
(d) Send songs
7. Jeff doesn't care what's happening to him at school, because of _____________, "nothing could touch him."
(a) The Professor
(d) His guitar
8. For how many house does Jeff wait for Melody at the airport the second time he visits?
(a) 1 week
(b) 2 hours
(c) 1 hour
(d) 1 day
9. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
(a) His guitar case
(b) His backpack
(c) A brown paper bag
(d) A scarf
10. Which animal impresses Jeff with its solitude as he looks out the window of the bus?
11. Who is waiting to pick up Jeff when he arrives back home from his visit with Melody?
(b) The Professor
(c) Brother Thomas
12. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
(c) Oil drillers
(d) Larger fish
13. Melody's boyfriend refuses to bring Jeff to a party he is working that night. What is the profession of the boyfriend?
14. What does the Professor offer to buy for Jeff if Jeff isn't happy with his Christmas gift?
(a) A new pair of shoes
(b) A plane ticket
(c) A car
(d) A new guitar
15. Jeff runs out of the room after receiving his gift, thinking that ___________ would be a terrible way to show how much he loved the gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boyfriend tells Jeff that Melody married the Professor because she was ______________.
2. What does Jeff realize he must do as night falls upon him at this island?
3. After being at the beach, Jeff feels ___________ and at home, as if he had just woken from a deep, long sleep.
4. Jeff, on the island, sees a world in which he is the only ______________ inhabitant.
5. Jeff saw fishing boats off in the distance, though to him they looked like ___________.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)