|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeff sees himself as Melody's _____________, faithful no matter what.
(a) Best son
2. What does Jeff write to Gambo after he arrives back in town from his trip with his mother?
(a) A story
(b) A poem
(c) A long letter
(d) Thank you note
3. What does Jeff do in response to the offer of a new Christmas gift, though he explains his response later?
(a) Leaves the house
(d) Gets angry
4. When Melody comes to pick Jeff up, he is overwhelmed by her _____________, warmth and cheerfulness.
(a) White hair
(d) Vanilla perfume
5. Melody introduces Jeff to the two women as the ________________ even though they did not know of him.
(a) Son she is proud of
(b) Son she never wanted
(c) Man that looks like his father
(d) Man in her life
6. Jeff begins to read all that he can about _____________ in order to feel close to Melody.
(c) The South
7. ___________ wants to pour her life experiences into Jeff so he can carry them into his life.
(a) Aunt Georgina
(c) Aunt Booty
8. What does Jeff realize he must do as night falls upon him at this island?
(a) Get better grades
(b) Tell his mother the truth
(c) Cross back to the mainland
(d) Leave his father
9. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
(b) Larger fish
(d) Oil drillers
10. What does Jeff decide to give to his father as a gift for Christmas this particular year?
(a) A book
11. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
(a) His backpack
(b) A scarf
(c) A brown paper bag
(d) His guitar case
12. Where does Brother Thomas reveal he will be studying for the next year?
13. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
14. At what time was Jeff's plane supposed to leave, which gave him little time to make it?
15. When the Professor takes Jeff to ________________, Jeff fears he will walk off down the beach and not return.
(a) Hilton Head
(b) Panama City
(c) Daytona Beach
(d) Ocean Beach
Short Answer Questions
1. After being at the beach, Jeff feels ___________ and at home, as if he had just woken from a deep, long sleep.
2. Melody says that she left the Professor because she was unhappy and tired of _______________.
3. When Brother Thomas asks if Jeff will go back to visit his mom, Jeff says _____________.
4. Jeff finally decides that ________ someone means loving them even if they don't do what you want.
5. Melody tells Jeff she is going out of town to take pictures at a ___________ with her boyfriend for a week.
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)