|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeff go on the day before he leaves his mother's home?
(c) Max's party
(d) The diner
2. Melody takes Jeff into the city to show him how green and polluted the ______________ is.
(a) Ground water
(b) Local factory
3. What does Jeff write to Melody after he arrives back in town from his trip with his mother?
(a) Thank you note
(b) A poem
(c) A story
(d) Long letter
4. Jeff realizes he can hear the joking between Thomas and the Professor and enjoy the conversation because of ____________.
(a) The Professor's love
(c) The house
5. Over breakfast, ______________ reminds Jeff that he had invited himself to stay, which makes him feel uncomfortable.
(b) Miss Opal
(d) Aunt Booty
6. When Jeff cries in his bed after Melody leaves again, he can't believe how easy he was to _____________.
7. What does Jeff see fly across the island as he is lingering on the island?
(a) Small plane
8. ___________ wants to pour her life experiences into Jeff so he can carry them into his life.
(b) Aunt Georgina
(d) Aunt Booty
9. Brother Thomas tells Jeff that his illness has been a __________ to the Professor, but this is a good thing.
(b) Happy time
10. What did Jeff bring back for Brother Thomas from Charleston when he visited his mother?
11. When Melody comes to pick Jeff up, he is overwhelmed by her _____________, warmth and cheerfulness.
(a) White hair
(b) Vanilla perfume
12. As Jeff was leaving the island, __________ did not watch him go.
(a) The fishermen
(c) The moon
(d) The bird
13. Who is NOT one of the groups of needy that Melody says she wants to help when she is away from the Professor and Jeff?
(a) HIV victims
(c) Hungry children
14. What is NOT one of the things that Jeff does when he is at the island?
(a) Watches the waves
(b) Runs along the dunes
(d) Collects trash
15. What does Jeff realize he must do as night falls upon him at this island?
(a) Tell his mother the truth
(b) Leave his father
(c) Get better grades
(d) Cross back to the mainland
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeff do in response to the offer of a new Christmas gift, though he explains his response later?
2. Jeff sees himself as Melody's _____________, faithful no matter what.
3. What does the Professor offer to buy for Jeff if Jeff isn't happy with his Christmas gift?
4. Where does Jeff wait for Melody to come to get him for breakfast?
5. What did Jeff find and put into his pocket to bring home with him?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)