|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeff realizes he can hear the joking between Thomas and the Professor and enjoy the conversation because of ____________.
(b) The house
(d) The Professor's love
2. When Jeff cries in his bed after Melody leaves again, he can't believe how easy he was to _____________.
3. The Professors invites Jeff to go to a ____________ with him and Brother Thomas.
(b) Guitar concert
4. Professor notes that Tolstoy once said that every unhappy family is ____________ in its own way.
5. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
(b) Larger fish
(d) Oil drillers
6. What does Melody show to Jeff which shows just how excited he was to see her when he first arrived?
7. Who had finally talked to Gambo about Jeff coming out of the summer since there had been no response otherwise?
(b) Brother Thomas
(d) The Professor
8. Melody's boyfriend tells her to not be any more ______________ "than you can help."
9. What does Jeff catch that the Professor does not notice to be a bad thing until something is seriously wrong?
(a) Food poisoning
(b) Chicken pox
10. When Jeff and his mother stop at a house where two women are sitting, what are the women doing?
(c) Cooking a soup
(d) Stuffing envelopes
11. What did Jeff find and put into his pocket to bring home with him?
(a) Ocean glass
(c) Green stone
(d) Sand dollar
12. In what grade is Jeff when he finds out his mother has left him and his father, the Professor?
13. _____________ apologizes to Jeff for allowing him to get so sick and for not scheduling regular check-ups.
(a) The Professor
(c) Brother Thomas
14. Who is NOT one of the relatives to which Melody introduces him?
(b) Aunt Georgina
(c) Aunt Booty
(d) Aunt Dodo
15. What does Jeff stop doing because he realizes the Professor likes order and routine?
(b) Doing his homework
Short Answer Questions
1. Melody tells Jeff that she wouldn't leave him if she thought she had to ____________ about him.
2. What does Jeff see fly across the island as he is lingering on the island?
3. During what month does Melody decide to finally leave the Professor and Jeff?
4. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
5. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)