|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Melody comes to pick Jeff up, he is overwhelmed by her _____________, warmth and cheerfulness.
(c) Vanilla perfume
(d) White hair
2. What kinds of guitars does Jeff confess to the professor that he would like to have?
3. Over breakfast, ______________ reminds Jeff that he had invited himself to stay, which makes him feel uncomfortable.
(c) Miss Opal
(d) Aunt Booty
4. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
5. When the Professor takes Jeff to ________________, Jeff fears he will walk off down the beach and not return.
(a) Hilton Head
(b) Panama City
(c) Daytona Beach
(d) Ocean Beach
6. Jeff decides he wants to be perfect in his _____________ for Melody.
7. Jeff continues to ___________ to Melody each and every month, even though she does not reply.
(a) Send songs
(b) Send packages
(c) Place calls
(d) Write letters
8. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
(b) Larger fish
(c) Oil drillers
9. The Professor talks to Jeff about how ____________ and helpless Melody made him feel when they were together.
10. When the Professor gives Jeff an allowance week after week, what does Jeff save up to buy?
(a) A guitar
(b) A plane ticket
(c) A bus ticket
(d) A book
11. What does Jeff decide to give to his father as a gift for Christmas this particular year?
(d) A book
12. Melody makes sure to say that she would never work for or be supported by ___________.
(a) A man
(b) A Jew
(c) A professor
(d) A white woman
13. What does Gambo say of Jeff as she is looking at him and telling others to look as well?
(a) He looks like Melody
(b) He is handsome
(c) He is short
(d) He is too much like his father
14. What did Jeff bring back for Brother Thomas from Charleston when he visited his mother?
15. Jeff becomes talented at reading the Professor's ____________ and figuring out what he might want.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes Jeff a note saying that they would be happy to see him come back for the summer?
2. What does Jeff see fly across the island as he is lingering on the island?
3. Brother Thomas tells Jeff that his illness has been a __________ to the Professor, but this is a good thing.
4. The Professors invites Jeff to go to a ____________ with him and Brother Thomas.
5. Brother Thomas also suggests to Jeff that Jeff talk to his father about _______________ as it would be good for him.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)