|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Professor offer to buy for Jeff if Jeff isn't happy with his Christmas gift?
(a) A new pair of shoes
(b) A car
(c) A plane ticket
(d) A new guitar
2. What does Jeff realize he must do as night falls upon him at this island?
(a) Tell his mother the truth
(b) Cross back to the mainland
(c) Leave his father
(d) Get better grades
3. While discussing the possibility of a trip to _____________, Jeff learns about the financial troubles Melody left.
4. Jeff finally decides that ________ someone means loving them even if they don't do what you want.
(a) Be related to
(c) Living with
5. Over breakfast, ______________ reminds Jeff that he had invited himself to stay, which makes him feel uncomfortable.
(a) Aunt Booty
(c) Miss Opal
6. Melody tells Jeff she is going out of town to take pictures at a ___________ with her boyfriend for a week.
(a) New museum
(b) Rock concert
(c) County fair
(d) Folk festival
7. Jeff was once told that his father's ___________ department was in shambles because the Professor didn't publish.
8. The Professors invites Jeff to go to a ____________ with him and Brother Thomas.
(d) Guitar concert
9. Who is NOT one of the groups of needy that Melody says she wants to help when she is away from the Professor and Jeff?
(b) HIV victims
(c) Hungry children
10. Melody tells Jeff that she wouldn't leave him if she thought she had to ____________ about him.
11. What must Jeff hurry to do as he has stayed at the island for such a long time?
(a) Wash his clothes
(c) Catch his flight
(d) Find his mother
12. Jeff, on the island, sees a world in which he is the only ______________ inhabitant.
13. What does Jeff write to Melody after he arrives back in town from his trip with his mother?
(a) Thank you note
(b) Long letter
(c) A poem
(d) A story
14. Melody takes Jeff into the city to show him how green and polluted the ______________ is.
(c) Local factory
(d) Ground water
15. What does Jeff's father give to Jeff for Christmas which is a touching gift to receive?
(a) A picture of him and Jeff
(b) An old home movie
(c) A book of baby pictures
(d) Old Martin guitar
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeff begins to read all that he can about _____________ in order to feel close to Melody.
2. When the Professor gives Jeff an allowance week after week, what does Jeff save up to buy?
3. When the Professor takes Jeff to ________________, Jeff fears he will walk off down the beach and not return.
4. During what month does Melody decide to finally leave the Professor and Jeff?
5. What does Jeff do in response to the offer of a new Christmas gift, though he explains his response later?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)