|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is NOT one of the relatives to which Melody introduces him?
(b) Aunt Dodo
(c) Aunt Booty
(d) Aunt Georgina
2. When the Professor gives Jeff an allowance week after week, what does Jeff save up to buy?
(a) A bus ticket
(b) A plane ticket
(c) A guitar
(d) A book
3. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
4. Who pays for the lunch that Melody and Jeff share in a nice restaurant in town?
(b) A stranger
5. Jeff continues to ___________ to Melody each and every month, even though she does not reply.
(a) Send songs
(b) Send packages
(c) Write letters
(d) Place calls
6. _____________ apologizes to Jeff for allowing him to get so sick and for not scheduling regular check-ups.
(b) The Professor
(d) Brother Thomas
7. Jeff feels bad about the money that the Professor is paying for his __________ since he things it's been a waste.
(d) Guitar lessons
8. For what faith is Brother Thomas a brother in his order?
9. Melody tells Jeff that she wouldn't leave him if she thought she had to ____________ about him.
10. Who is NOT one of the groups of needy that Melody says she wants to help when she is away from the Professor and Jeff?
(b) HIV victims
(c) Hungry children
11. Melody tells Jeff that Gambo has had ______________ and is very weak as a result.
(c) A broken back
(d) A stroke
12. What does Jeff realize he must do as night falls upon him at this island?
(a) Cross back to the mainland
(b) Leave his father
(c) Tell his mother the truth
(d) Get better grades
13. What does Jeff stop doing because he realizes the Professor likes order and routine?
(d) Doing his homework
14. Melody takes Jeff into the city to show him how green and polluted the ______________ is.
(c) Local factory
(d) Ground water
15. Brother Thomas also suggests to Jeff that Jeff talk to his father about _______________ as it would be good for him.
(c) His feelings
Short Answer Questions
1. Professor notes that Tolstoy once said that every unhappy family is ____________ in its own way.
2. What did Jeff use in order to get back to the mainland?
3. Where does Jeff go on the day before he leaves his mother's home?
4. As Jeff was leaving the island, __________ did not watch him go.
5. When Jeff cries in his bed after Melody leaves again, he can't believe how easy he was to _____________.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)