|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeff catch that the Professor does not notice to be a bad thing until something is seriously wrong?
(a) Food poisoning
(b) Chicken pox
2. Melody tells Jeff that _________________ have killed the crabs and the herons who used to live in the marshes.
(a) Oil drillers
(d) Larger fish
3. Melody tells Jeff that Gambo has had ______________ and is very weak as a result.
(b) A broken back
(d) A stroke
4. ____________ used to tell Jeff that the Professor wasn't much of a father, which makes Jeff upset.
(a) The Professor
(b) Brother Thomas
5. What does Jeff ask the Professor when his letters to his mother and Gambo go unanswered?
(a) If the address is right
(b) If the Professor mailed the letters
(c) If letters get lost
(d) If his mother loves him
6. Jeff doesn't care what's happening to him at school, because of _____________, "nothing could touch him."
(a) His guitar
(c) The Professor
7. Who is Melody's boyfriend who comes along to help pick up Jeff at the airport?
8. What does Jeff stop doing because he realizes the Professor likes order and routine?
(c) Doing his homework
9. What does Jeff write to Melody after he arrives back in town from his trip with his mother?
(a) A poem
(b) Thank you note
(c) A story
(d) Long letter
10. Who raised Melody when she was growing up, as Jeff finds out during a lunch they share?
(a) Aunt Georgina
(c) Aunt Booty
11. The Professor decides they need a ________________ to help them take care of Jeff and the house.
(a) College student
12. Who comes for dinner the day after Christmas to eat with Jeff and the Professor?
(a) Brother Thomas
(b) Dicey Tillerman
(d) Dr. Baker
13. Melody's boyfriend tells her to not be any more ______________ "than you can help."
14. Jeff finally decides that ________ someone means loving them even if they don't do what you want.
(a) Living with
(c) Be related to
15. Where does Jeff go on the day before he leaves his mother's home?
(c) Max's party
(d) The diner
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT one of the relatives to which Melody introduces him?
2. Who had finally talked to Gambo about Jeff coming out of the summer since there had been no response otherwise?
3. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
4. Which animal impresses Jeff with its solitude as he looks out the window of the bus?
5. ______________ tells Jeff to go away because he is making her tried.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)