|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeff go on the day before he leaves his mother's home?
(a) The diner
(c) Max's party
2. Jeff realizes he can hear the joking between Thomas and the Professor and enjoy the conversation because of ____________.
(b) The house
(c) The Professor's love
3. Who is Jeff's doctor that the Professor needs to call when Jeff becomes very ill?
(a) Dr. Baker
(b) Dr. Thomas
(c) Dr. Elliott
(d) Dr. Smith
4. Which animal impresses Jeff with its solitude as he looks out the window of the bus?
5. Jeff begins to read all that he can about _____________ in order to feel close to Melody.
(c) The South
6. Where does Brother Thomas decide to take Jeff when he learns Jeff has not eaten?
(a) Straight home
(b) Fast food restaurant
(c) A diner
(d) To the monastery
7. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
8. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
(a) A brown paper bag
(b) His guitar case
(c) A scarf
(d) His backpack
9. As Jeff was leaving the island, __________ did not watch him go.
(b) The bird
(c) The moon
(d) The fishermen
10. The Professor talks to Jeff about how ____________ and helpless Melody made him feel when they were together.
11. Who had finally talked to Gambo about Jeff coming out of the summer since there had been no response otherwise?
(b) The Professor
(c) Brother Thomas
12. At the concert, Jeff tries to resist the pull of the ______________, realizing the talent of the players.
13. Jeff doesn't care what's happening to him at school, because of _____________, "nothing could touch him."
(a) His guitar
(b) The Professor
14. When Jeff isn't home when Melody comes home for a bit, how does she feel toward him?
15. Who is NOT one of the groups of needy that Melody says she wants to help when she is away from the Professor and Jeff?
(b) HIV victims
(c) Hungry children
Short Answer Questions
1. Melody's boyfriend refuses to bring Jeff to a party he is working that night. What is the profession of the boyfriend?
2. At what time was Jeff's plane supposed to leave, which gave him little time to make it?
3. What does the Professor offer to buy for Jeff if Jeff isn't happy with his Christmas gift?
4. For what faith is Brother Thomas a brother in his order?
5. What does Jeff decide to send to Melody for Christmas as he believes it is as perfect as his love for her?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)