|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Professor tell Jeff more about in order to help him understand his background?
(a) Brother Thomas
(b) Aunt Georgina
(d) The Professor's mom
2. Jeff becomes talented at reading the Professor's ____________ and figuring out what he might want.
3. After being at the beach, Jeff feels ___________ and at home, as if he had just woken from a deep, long sleep.
4. What does Jeff agree to do with Melody as he feels connected to her when he is going what she wants?
(c) Paint her nails
5. Melody says that she left the Professor because she was unhappy and tired of _______________.
(a) Pinching pennies
(b) Being a wife
(d) Being tied down
6. What did Jeff use in order to get back to the mainland?
(b) A surfboard
(c) His arms and legs to swim
7. Jeff finally decides that ________ someone means loving them even if they don't do what you want.
(a) Be related to
(b) Living with
8. What did Jeff find and put into his pocket to bring home with him?
(a) Sand dollar
(b) Ocean glass
(c) Green stone
9. Who comes for dinner the day after Christmas to eat with Jeff and the Professor?
(a) Dr. Baker
(b) Dicey Tillerman
(c) Brother Thomas
10. Melody's boyfriend refuses to bring Jeff to a party he is working that night. What is the profession of the boyfriend?
11. At what time was Jeff's plane supposed to leave, which gave him little time to make it?
12. When Brother Thomas asks if Jeff will go back to visit his mom, Jeff says _____________.
(a) He doesn't know
(b) He can't say
13. ____________ used to tell Jeff that the Professor wasn't much of a father, which makes Jeff upset.
(b) Brother Thomas
(c) The Professor
14. ___________ wants to pour her life experiences into Jeff so he can carry them into his life.
(a) Aunt Georgina
(c) Aunt Booty
15. The Professor admits that Melody was often ___________ with him - first by his inability to first buy a big engagement ring and then buy a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
2. Where does Melody say she will be for the morning, though she would like to have lunch with him later?
3. What does Jeff write to Melody after he arrives back in town from his trip with his mother?
4. What does the Professor offer to buy for Jeff if Jeff isn't happy with his Christmas gift?
5. What does Jeff decide to give to his father as a gift for Christmas this particular year?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)