|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on top of the White Mountain?
2. When the narrator sees the air hole, what does he decide to do?
3. When does the narrator kill his first partridge?
4. What river does the narrator talk about in Chapter 13?
5. The narrator feels that as everyone strives for safety, prosperity and comfort, life becomes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the best way to manage national parks according to the narrator?
2. According to the narrator, what is the one thing that cheat grass is good for?
3. Why does the narrator find that the sand farms aren't as poor as people think?
4. According to the narrator, what is the numenon and what is its opposite?
5. According to the narrator, what do people need to do who are a part of recreational development?
6. Why should a person never return to nature twice?
7. Why does the narrator say that nobody knows all the terrain on top of the White Mountain?
8. What does the narrator state is the main premise for ethics and the environment?
9. Where is the history of the area of White Mountain recorded?
10. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leopold writes "The life of every river sings its own song". Discuss. What does he mean? How does it relate to the land ethic?
Essay Topic 2
Leopold writes that he is the "sole owner of all the acres [he] walks over". Discuss. What does he mean? What is the context within the book? Does he mean this literally? How does this relate to his view of land?
Essay Topic 3
Leopold writes that a measure of success is how easy our lives are, yet too much safety means danger in the long run. Discuss. What does he mean? Use at least one specific example from the book. How does this relate to his views on conservation? The land ethic?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)