|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
2. What is the numeon of the Sierra Madre?
3. What sport does the narrator think is very corrupt?
4. Who does the narrator meet at the river in Chapter 13?
5. The top of the White Mountain is originally only accessible to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what are two problems that humans face with regards to the wilderness?
2. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
3. How does peoples' ability to enjoy nature begin?
4. The narrator states that State College is more concerned with beauty and ease than with what?
5. What does the narrator consider to be part of the tragedy of the extinction of the passenger pigeon?
6. Why are public policies involved with outdoor recreation controversial?
7. According to the narrator, why do people not go to Escudillo?
8. What is the best way to manage national parks according to the narrator?
9. Why does the State College want farmers to plant Chinese elms rather than cottonwoods?
10. Where is the history of the area of White Mountain recorded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different times in the book, Leopold talks about the extinction of plants or animals, either altogether or from a certain area. Describe two of these events - what they are, how they occur, or what plant or animal is involved. How do these events relate to Leopold's view of conservation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leopold's view of hunting. Include both duck hunting and fox hunting in your discussion. What does he mean by a corrupt sport? How does this relate to his views on conservation? The land ethic?
Essay Topic 3
Leopold states that the evolution of a land ethic is both emotional and intellectual. Discuss. What does he mean? What is the relative importance of each?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)