|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does the narrator think is very corrupt?
2. When the bus passes through a cemetery, what plant does the narrator see?
3. Why is the narrator given his first shotgun at an early age?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, what is accepted as a necessary evil in the northwestern foothills?
5. The narrator says that professors serve what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three different values listed by the narrator that people have when it comes to nature?
2. According to the narrator, why do people not go to Escudillo?
3. The narrator compares puccoons to what other plant and why?
4. What is meant by invasive species?
5. Why should a person never return to nature twice?
6. What two ideas that are part of the split-rail value does the narrator say the pioneer period creates?
7. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
8. What does the narrator consider to be part of the tragedy of the extinction of the passenger pigeon?
9. The narrator says that he thinks getting rid of the wolves means more deer, but this isn't the case in the long run. Why?
10. Why are public policies involved with outdoor recreation controversial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leopold writes that what people involve in recreational development of the wilderness needs to build receptivity into peoples' minds and make them want to protect nature and appreciate it, without the roads that damage it. Discuss. What does he mean? How does this relate to his views on conservation? The land ethic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of governmental policies and regulations with respect to wildlife and wilderness. Are the policies consistent? What interests do they mean to protect - wildlife or people? Or does it depend on the circumstances? What are Leopold's views? Use the migratory birds and grizzly bears as examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Leopold's view of land health. What is his concept of land? What does he mean by land health? What are the competing views of land health amongst conservation scientists? Do we achieve land health? How?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)