|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator believes that the conservation movement is the first step to acknowledging that there is an ecological necessity to establish a code of ethics for the environment and what?
2. Who does the narrator meet at the river in Chapter 13?
3. The narrator feels that as everyone strives for safety, prosperity and comfort, life becomes what?
4. According to the narrator, what bird is particularly liked among people in Wisconsin?
5. What is another area of Wisconsin that the narrator has a deep love for?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what are two problems that humans face with regards to the wilderness?
2. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
3. Why does the State College want farmers to plant Chinese elms rather than cottonwoods?
4. Where is the history of the area of White Mountain recorded?
5. According to the narrator, what do people need to do who are a part of recreational development?
6. Why are public policies involved with outdoor recreation controversial?
7. Why does the narrator say that nobody knows all the terrain on top of the White Mountain?
8. Why does the State Conservation Department buy back land along the Flambeau River?
9. The narrator says that he thinks getting rid of the wolves means more deer, but this isn't the case in the long run. Why?
10. What is the best way to manage national parks according to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leopold writes that he is the "sole owner of all the acres [he] walks over". Discuss. What does he mean? What is the context within the book? Does he mean this literally? How does this relate to his view of land?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the book. What are the three major sections of the book? Describe each section briefly. Why do you think the book is divided in this manner? What purpose does this serve for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Leopold uses specific plants and animals. Give at least five examples of specific plants and animals. Describe them and how he uses them. Explain why he uses them and not others.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)