|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
2. What sport does the narrator think is very corrupt?
3. Why does the dairy industry want to put a dam on the river?
4. Who does the the state send to kill the bear?
5. According to the narrator, when he kills his first wolf what does he see in its eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator compares puccoons to what other plant and why?
2. Why does the State Conservation Department buy back land along the Flambeau River?
3. According to the narrator, what do people need to do who are a part of recreational development?
4. According to the narrator, what is the one thing that cheat grass is good for?
5. What is the best way to manage national parks according to the narrator?
6. What are the three different values listed by the narrator that people have when it comes to nature?
7. What are the conditions that the narrator's father set when he gives the narrator permission to shoot partridges?
8. What does the narrator state is the main premise for ethics and the environment?
9. Where is the history of the area of White Mountain recorded?
10. The narrator states that State College is more concerned with beauty and ease than with what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of governmental policies and regulations with respect to wildlife and wilderness. Are the policies consistent? What interests do they mean to protect - wildlife or people? Or does it depend on the circumstances? What are Leopold's views? Use the migratory birds and grizzly bears as examples.
Essay Topic 2
Leopold writes that what people involve in recreational development of the wilderness needs to build receptivity into peoples' minds and make them want to protect nature and appreciate it, without the roads that damage it. Discuss. What does he mean? How does this relate to his views on conservation? The land ethic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the biotic pyramid. What is it? How does it work? How does it relate to the land ethic? How does it relate to the balance of nature view?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)