Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
2. Most hunters don't know that the partridge likes to hang around what bush?
3. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
4. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
5. How many fish does the narrator catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that November is the month of the axe?
2. With regards to hunting partridges, the narrator says that he and his dog have what kind of relationship?
3. According to the narrator, why do people not go to Escudillo?
4. How much land does the narrator say he owns?
5. Why is the flora in the area shrinking?
6. Why does the narrator say that most paintings become famous?
7. What two natural enemies do the plover and man have in common?
8. Why does the narrator say that nobody knows all the terrain on top of the White Mountain?
9. What is the most basic principle of ecology according to the narrator?
10. What are the conditions that the narrator's father set when he gives the narrator permission to shoot partridges?
Essay Topic 1
Leopold states that the evolution of a land ethic is both emotional and intellectual. Discuss. What does he mean? What is the relative importance of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the biotic pyramid. What is it? How does it work? How does it relate to the land ethic? How does it relate to the balance of nature view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the book. What are the three major sections of the book? Describe each section briefly. Why do you think the book is divided in this manner? What purpose does this serve for the reader?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)