|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 14, what is the purpose of the farms they are passing by?
(a) To preserve the land.
(b) To grow food.
(c) To preserve a way of life.
(d) To make money.
2. According to the narrator, who or what is responsible for the last of the grizzlies being shot?
(a) The federal government.
(c) The State Department of Fish and Game.
3. In the narrator's view, wilderness is the raw material that man uses to create what?
(a) Recreational areas.
(b) National Parks.
(d) Frontier areas.
4. When the narrator sees the air hole, what does he decide to do?
(a) Try to fish.
(c) Make it bigger.
5. According to the narrator, recreation becomes what kind of process?
(d) Mass use.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plant is the biggest problem in the northwestern foothills?
2. In Chapter 13, the narrator discusses the extinction of what?
3. According to the narrator, the land ethic changes the role of humans from conquerors to what?
4. What animal does the narrator kill first with his gun?
5. What is one of the main birds that makes the marshland its home, as the marshes are moving northward to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator says that he thinks getting rid of the wolves means more deer, but this isn't the case in the long run. Why?
2. Why does the State College want farmers to plant Chinese elms rather than cottonwoods?
3. What two ideas that are part of the split-rail value does the narrator say the pioneer period creates?
4. How does peoples' ability to enjoy nature begin?
5. What is meant by invasive species?
6. Why does the narrator find that the sand farms aren't as poor as people think?
7. What does the narrator state is the main premise for ethics and the environment?
8. Why should a person never return to nature twice?
9. Why does the State Conservation Department buy back land along the Flambeau River?
10. What are the conditions that the narrator's father set when he gives the narrator permission to shoot partridges?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)