|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator feels that as everyone strives for safety, prosperity and comfort, life becomes what?
2. What forms a lake in Wisconsin that is half as long as the state itself?
(a) A mammoth rock slide.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A glacier.
3. What does the narrator call wildlife tourism?
(a) The wildlife management department.
(b) The where to go department.
(c) The nature department.
(d) The what to do department.
4. How much of the woods and mountains is already taken up by mechanized recreation?
(a) About 75%.
(b) About 25%.
(c) About 50%.
(d) About 90%.
5. In the summer, the weather on White Mountain is unpredictable because of what?
(c) Summer rain storms.
(d) Summer snow storms.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, the narrator discusses the extinction of what?
2. What animals do the grizzly bear eat in the spring?
3. What river does the narrator talk about in Chapter 13?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 14, what is the purpose of the farms they are passing by?
5. What steers the course of history, according to scientists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the State College want farmers to plant Chinese elms rather than cottonwoods?
2. According to the narrator, what are two problems that humans face with regards to the wilderness?
3. What two ideas that are part of the split-rail value does the narrator say the pioneer period creates?
4. According to the narrator, what is the numenon and what is its opposite?
5. The narrator compares puccoons to what other plant and why?
6. What does the narrator consider to be part of the tragedy of the extinction of the passenger pigeon?
7. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
8. How does peoples' ability to enjoy nature begin?
9. Why does the narrator find that the sand farms aren't as poor as people think?
10. Why should a person never return to nature twice?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)