|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator likens the hunter in the Sierra Madres to what?
2. According to the narrator in Chapter 14, what is the purpose of the farms they are passing by?
(a) To make money.
(b) To preserve a way of life.
(c) To preserve the land.
(d) To grow food.
3. According to the narrator, wilderness for recreation is extremely what?
(a) Needed by people.
4. In the summer, the weather on White Mountain is unpredictable because of what?
(b) Summer rain storms.
(d) Summer snow storms.
5. The narrator believes that the conservation movement is the first step to acknowledging that there is an ecological necessity to establish a code of ethics for the environment and what?
(b) National parks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird is only found only in the sand counties?
2. Chapter 14 begins with a bus ride through which state?
3. What makes cheat grass inedible for the livestock?
4. To the superficial eye, the Gavilan region is hard, stony and full of what?
5. What is one of the main birds that makes the marshland its home, as the marshes are moving northward to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the State Conservation Department buy back land along the Flambeau River?
2. The narrator compares puccoons to what other plant and why?
3. What does the narrator consider to be part of the tragedy of the extinction of the passenger pigeon?
4. According to the narrator, what is the numenon and what is its opposite?
5. According to the narrator, why do people not go to Escudillo?
6. What are the three different values listed by the narrator that people have when it comes to nature?
7. How does the narrator believe conservation is taught?
8. What does the narrator state is the main premise for ethics and the environment?
9. What are the conditions that the narrator's father set when he gives the narrator permission to shoot partridges?
10. Where is the history of the area of White Mountain recorded?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)