|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do humans begin to destroy the plover?
(a) They like to eat them.
(b) They are a nuisance.
(c) They are destroying crops.
(d) They get in the way.
2. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) At the beginning of winter.
(b) At the end of summer.
(c) When the air turns too cool for them.
(d) When their chicks are grown.
3. What or who kills the oak tree?
(c) Burrowing animals.
(d) Ice storm.
4. Who bathes in the the pools of the painting?
5. The book begins in January with what type of weather or environment?
(a) The midwinter blizzards.
(b) The ice storms.
(c) The January snow.
(d) The January thaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do the cured oak leaves feed?
2. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
3. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
4. What tree does the narrator have a bias towards?
5. The narrator says that the geese are good at what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator trying to record when he goes out in the morning?
2. What does the narrator consider special about the woodcock?
3. What does the narrator call a real gift in his woods?
4. How does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
5. What conclusion does the narrator come to with respect to the lone goose?
6. Why is the narrator unsuccessful in transplanting silphium?
7. Why is the flora in the area shrinking?
8. How does the bur oak survive the prairie fires?
9. What happens when the narrator cuts down the oak tree?
10. What are red lanterns and what are they used for?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)