|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
(a) After the first rain in April.
(b) The full moon in April.
(c) One evening in April.
(d) The first warm evening in April.
2. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
(a) A tree falling.
(b) The neighbor's tractor.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) Animals moving.
3. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
(a) Walk along the path at the marsh.
(b) Walk between berry bushes.
(c) Walk through the mountains.
(d) Make a plan of what to do.
4. What is the one thing that the narrator believes really kills a chickadee?
(a) Lack of food.
5. People tend to ignore song birds that do what?
(a) Sing only in the evening.
(b) Sing all the time.
(c) Sing only part of the time.
(d) Sing long songs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and his friends wait out the storm?
2. In the November chapter, the narrator's focus is on what?
3. How long do pine trees usually live?
4. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
5. What is one thing that nobody knows about the woodcock and the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that November is the month of the axe?
2. Why is the narrator unsuccessful in transplanting silphium?
3. What does the narrator call a real gift in his woods?
4. Where do tamaracks grow?
5. What conclusion does the narrator come to with respect to the lone goose?
6. What happens when the narrator cuts down the oak tree?
7. How does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
8. Why does the narrator consider the oak tree special?
9. Why do pines have the reputation of being green year round?
10. Why does the narrator like the time when it floods?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)