|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction, the first twelve chapters of the book generally are a description of what?
(a) The author's travels.
(b) The author's theories.
2. Why do humans begin to destroy the plover?
(a) They like to eat them.
(b) They are a nuisance.
(c) They are destroying crops.
(d) They get in the way.
3. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) In tree trunks.
(b) In tunnels in the snow.
(c) In tunnels in the ground.
(d) Under buildings.
4. The narrator says that the geese are good at what?
(a) Flying long distances.
(b) International commerce.
(c) Returning to where they are born.
(d) Eating while flying.
5. Who bathes in the the pools of the painting?
Short Answer Questions
1. People tend to ignore song birds that do what?
2. What kind of trees do the narrator and dog arrive at during their hunt?
3. What tree does the narrator write about in April?
4. A person tells a lot about animals' feeding habits during a season by looking at what?
5. Why does the chickadee come by when a person is out chopping trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
2. What conclusion does the narrator come to with respect to the lone goose?
3. What are red lanterns and what are they used for?
4. Where does the skunk trail go and what is the narrator's conclusion?
5. What does the narrator believe are the three commandments of the chickadees?
6. The narrator says that the only thing people hope for with respect to this painting is what?
7. What do people learn by banding birds?
8. Why does the narrator say that November is the month of the axe?
9. Why does a person not return for a second viewing of the "painting" that the author likes to view?
10. What is the main argument of this book?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)