|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal/bird does the plover follow?
(c) Prairie dogs.
2. Where is the best place to place a trap for a chickadee?
(a) Near a fallen tree.
(b) On the ground.
(c) In the direction of the wind.
(d) In the tree.
3. What does the narrator admire while eating lunch?
(a) The young golden tamaracks.
(b) The grouse.
(c) The countryside.
(d) His dog.
4. How many miles do the geese travel?
5. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
2. Where does the woodcock land after the dance?
3. All the trees in the area date to what time?
4. The narrator says that November is the month of the what?
5. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator believe are the three commandments of the chickadees?
2. The narrator says that the only thing people hope for with respect to this painting is what?
3. What do people learn by banding birds?
4. Why do pines have the reputation of being green year round?
5. Why is the flora in the area shrinking?
6. What does the narrator call a real gift in his woods?
7. Why does a person not return for a second viewing of the "painting" that the author likes to view?
8. Why is the narrator unsuccessful in transplanting silphium?
9. What two natural enemies do the plover and man have in common?
10. What conclusion does the narrator come to with respect to the lone goose?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)