|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tracks does the narrator follow in Chapter One?
2. Where does the upland plover spend the winter?
(a) The South Pole.
(d) Central America.
3. How long do the blackberry bushes glow red?
(a) A day.
(b) A week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
4. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
5. Why does the narrator love the aspen?
(a) It has lovely colors.
(b) It provides food for his grouse.
(c) It grows tall.
(d) It has beautiful leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the November chapter, the narrator's focus is on what?
2. What animal/bird does the plover follow?
3. Who or what destroys the painting the narrator describes?
4. How long does it take the chicks to grow up and learn to fly after they hatch?
5. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is the third enemy of the plover?
2. Where do tamaracks grow?
3. Why does the narrator say that November is the month of the axe?
4. The narrator says that the migratory habits of the upland plover proves that nature knows what?
5. Why is the narrator unsuccessful in transplanting silphium?
6. Why does a person not return for a second viewing of the "painting" that the author likes to view?
7. What does the narrator consider special about the woodcock?
8. What distinction does the narrator make between the muskrat and the geese?
9. With regards to hunting partridges, the narrator says that he and his dog have what kind of relationship?
10. What happens when the narrator cuts down the oak tree?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)