|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do birch trees usually live?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 100 years.
2. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
(a) Stays where the partidge is.
(c) Finds another partridge.
(d) Walks away.
3. What tree does the narrator write about in April?
(a) Bur oak.
(d) Bur fir.
4. Who does the narrator say is the first animal to awaken in January?
5. In the morning sunlight, the painting is sprayed with what?
(a) An overlay of blue.
(d) A clear color.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
2. What is the main argument of this book?
3. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
4. How many miles do the geese travel?
5. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When hunting partridge with his dog, the narrator stops and listens for what?
2. Why does the narrator say that November is the month of the axe?
3. How does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
4. What "painting" does the narrator like to view that is seldom viewed?
5. What distinction does the narrator make between the muskrat and the geese?
6. Why do pines have the reputation of being green year round?
7. How does the bur oak survive the prairie fires?
8. What does the narrator consider special about the woodcock?
9. What does the narrator call a real gift in his woods?
10. Why does the narrator see his disease plagued woods as a blessing?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)