|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator finds the air hole in the frozen lake, what animal does he know comes?
(a) A duck.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A deer.
2. According to the narrator, the difficult part about finding a way to return to nature is to find a way to do this without destroying what?
3. In Chapter 13, the narrator discusses the extinction of what?
(a) The passenger pigeon.
(b) The draba.
(c) The crane.
(d) The golden swallow.
4. How much of the woods and mountains is already taken up by mechanized recreation?
(a) About 25%.
(b) About 75%.
(c) About 90%.
(d) About 50%.
5. The narrator says that professors serve what?
(a) Their universities.
(b) The wilderness.
(d) The environment.
6. In the narrator's view, wilderness is the raw material that man uses to create what?
(b) Recreational areas.
(c) Frontier areas.
(d) National Parks.
7. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
(b) Downy chess.
8. What steers the course of history, according to scientists?
(a) Plant succession.
9. How many values does the narrator say that people have when it comes to nature?
10. What bird is only found only in the sand counties?
(a) The golden duck.
(b) The clay colored sparrow.
(c) The jackpine.
(d) The woodpecker.
11. What kind of tree does the State College want the farmers to plant?
(a) Chinese elm.
12. What forms a lake in Wisconsin that is half as long as the state itself?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A mammoth rock slide.
(d) A glacier.
13. The narrator states that the level of violence on the land is directly related to what?
(a) The native animals.
(b) Population density.
(c) The native plants.
(d) The health of the land.
14. According to the narrator, what is sportsmanship aimed at getting rid of?
(c) Bullets that kill many animals at once.
15. What makes cheat grass inedible for the livestock?
(a) Prickly awns.
(b) Thick leaves.
(d) Hard stem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flower does the narrator describe as blooming in the sand?
2. According to the narrator, recreation becomes what kind of process?
3. Why does the dairy industry want to put a dam on the river?
4. According to the narrator, how many different components of the recreational process are there?
5. What animals do the grizzly bear eat in the spring?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)