|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what are people not able to successfully control?
(b) The health of the land.
(d) The growth of invasive species.
2. What makes cheat grass inedible for the livestock?
(a) Hard stem.
(c) Prickly awns.
(d) Thick leaves.
3. When the narrator finds the air hole in the frozen lake, what animal does he know comes?
(a) A duck.
(b) A rabbit.
(d) A deer.
4. To the superficial eye, the Gavilan region is hard, stony and full of what?
(d) Cliffs and slopes.
5. When does the narrator kill his first partridge?
(a) In his first hunting season.
(b) In his third hunting season.
(c) In his second hunting season.
(d) In his fourth hunting season.
6. The narrator likens the hunter in the Sierra Madres to what?
7. What animal does the narrator kill first with his gun?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) An icewart.
(c) A duck.
(d) A squirrel.
8. What is on top of the White Mountain?
(a) A desert.
(c) A meadow.
(d) A boneyard.
9. What is one of the main birds that makes the marshland its home, as the marshes are moving northward to Canada?
(a) The sandwort.
(b) The spotted warbler.
(c) The grouse.
(d) The grebe.
10. According to the narrator, recreation becomes what kind of process?
(b) Mass use.
11. In the narrator's view, wilderness is the raw material that man uses to create what?
(a) Frontier areas.
(c) National Parks.
(d) Recreational areas.
12. What flower does the narrator describe as blooming in the sand?
(a) The hydrangea.
(b) The dustwort.
(c) The draba.
(d) All of the above.
13. Why does the dairy industry want to put a dam on the river?
(a) For its use in dairy farming.
(b) For recreation.
(c) For electricity.
(d) For preservation.
14. One type of outdoor recreation enthusiast is the kind that wanders in the woods searching for what?
(a) The "perfect place".
(b) Rare plants and birds.
(d) The wilderness.
15. Who does the narrator meet at the river in Chapter 13?
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) A friend.
(c) A lost dog.
(d) Two college boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator goes with his brother to the Colorado Delta, they camp on an estuary near the place where what bird roosts?
2. The narrator says that professors serve what?
3. When too many people want the same trophies, what component of the trophy does this mass use problem decrease?
4. What animals do the grizzly bear eat in the spring?
5. What animals are National Parks not able to protect?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)