|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another area of Wisconsin that the narrator has a deep love for?
(a) The cities.
(b) The lakes.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The sand counties.
2. Who does the narrator meet at the river in Chapter 13?
(a) Two college boys.
(b) A lost dog.
(c) Paul Bunyan.
(d) A friend.
3. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
(c) Downy chess.
4. When does the narrator buy a farm?
5. Why is the narrator given his first shotgun at an early age?
(a) To shoot squirrels.
(b) To shoot ducks.
(c) To learn how to shoot.
(d) To shoot rabbits.
6. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, what is accepted as a necessary evil in the northwestern foothills?
(c) Roaming cattle.
(d) Cheat grass.
7. The narrator believes that wildlife administrators are too busy figuring out what to shoot at rather than paying attention to what?
(a) The cultural values of shooting.
(b) The false advertisments.
(c) The type of guns being used.
(d) What is happening to the wildlife.
8. What does the bus pass through, after it passes State College?
(b) More farmland.
(d) Marsh area.
9. Why does the state start to get rid of wolves?
(a) To permit hikers to use the mountains.
(b) Because they cause so many problems.
(c) To optimize hunting.
(d) To allow farmers to raise chickens.
10. How many values does the narrator say that people have when it comes to nature?
11. When the bus passes through a cemetery, what plant does the narrator see?
12. According to the narrator, what are people not able to successfully control?
(a) The health of the land.
(b) The growth of invasive species.
13. When does the narrator kill his first partridge?
(a) In his first hunting season.
(b) In his second hunting season.
(c) In his third hunting season.
(d) In his fourth hunting season.
14. What animals are National Parks not able to protect?
(b) Field mice.
(c) Larger carnivores.
(d) Migrating birds.
15. To the superficial eye, the Gavilan region is hard, stony and full of what?
(c) Cliffs and slopes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forms a lake in Wisconsin that is half as long as the state itself?
2. The narrator states that the level of violence on the land is directly related to what?
3. The narrator discusses the travel of what through time?
4. According to the narrator, the difficult part about finding a way to return to nature is to find a way to do this without destroying what?
5. According to the narrator, what is sportsmanship aimed at getting rid of?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)