|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator given his first shotgun at an early age?
(a) To shoot squirrels.
(b) To learn how to shoot.
(c) To shoot rabbits.
(d) To shoot ducks.
2. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
(d) Downy chess.
3. The narrator likens the hunter in the Sierra Madres to what?
4. What is the numeon of the Sierra Madre?
(a) The grouse.
(b) The geese.
(c) The bobcat.
(d) The thick-billed parrot.
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, what is accepted as a necessary evil in the northwestern foothills?
(a) Cheat grass.
(c) Roaming cattle.
6. What plant is the biggest problem in the northwestern foothills?
(a) Old alfalfa fields.
(c) Degrading hay.
(d) Cheat grass.
7. What makes cheat grass inedible for the livestock?
(b) Prickly awns.
(c) Thick leaves.
(d) Hard stem.
8. The narrator says that professors serve what?
(a) The wilderness.
(c) Their universities.
(d) The environment.
9. What animals are National Parks not able to protect?
(a) Field mice.
(b) Migrating birds.
(d) Larger carnivores.
10. What bird is only found only in the sand counties?
(a) The jackpine.
(b) The woodpecker.
(c) The clay colored sparrow.
(d) The golden duck.
11. What is one of the main birds that makes the marshland its home, as the marshes are moving northward to Canada?
(a) The sandwort.
(b) The spotted warbler.
(c) The grebe.
(d) The grouse.
12. Who does the narrator think is the only one who listens to the wolf's howl objectively?
(a) The hunter.
(b) The deer.
(c) The White Mountain.
(d) The farmer.
13. How much of the woods and mountains is already taken up by mechanized recreation?
(a) About 90%.
(b) About 25%.
(c) About 75%.
(d) About 50%.
14. The narrator believes that wildlife administrators are too busy figuring out what to shoot at rather than paying attention to what?
(a) What is happening to the wildlife.
(b) The cultural values of shooting.
(c) The false advertisments.
(d) The type of guns being used.
15. Who does the narrator meet at the river in Chapter 13?
(a) Two college boys.
(b) Paul Bunyan.
(c) A lost dog.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When too many people want the same trophies, what component of the trophy does this mass use problem decrease?
2. To the superficial eye, the Gavilan region is hard, stony and full of what?
3. Recreation is an economic resource of the government, but the narrator believes that it also has what kind of component to it?
4. According to the narrator, what bird is particularly liked among people in Wisconsin?
5. According to the narrator, how many different components of the recreational process are there?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)