|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, the difficult part about finding a way to return to nature is to find a way to do this without destroying what?
2. What is another area of Wisconsin that the narrator has a deep love for?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The lakes.
(c) The sand counties.
(d) The cities.
3. What animals do the grizzly bear eat in the spring?
4. The narrator believes that conservation is the state of harmony between the land and what?
5. What kind of tree does the State College want the farmers to plant?
(a) Chinese elm.
6. What governmental district does the bus pass through?
(a) Iowa County Conservation District.
(b) Green River Soil Conservation District.
(c) State Conservation District.
(d) Red River Soil Conservation District.
7. What flower does the narrator describe as blooming in the sand?
(a) The hydrangea.
(b) The draba.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The dustwort.
8. One type of outdoor recreation enthusiast is the kind that wanders in the woods searching for what?
(b) The wilderness.
(c) Rare plants and birds.
(d) The "perfect place".
9. According to the narrator, when he kills his first wolf what does he see in its eyes?
10. According to the narrator, what are people not able to successfully control?
(b) The growth of invasive species.
(d) The health of the land.
11. According to the narrator, what bird is particularly liked among people in Wisconsin?
12. According to the narrator, what is sportsmanship aimed at getting rid of?
(c) Bullets that kill many animals at once.
13. To the superficial eye, the Gavilan region is hard, stony and full of what?
(a) Cliffs and slopes.
14. In Chapter 13, the narrator discusses the extinction of what?
(a) The golden swallow.
(b) The crane.
(c) The passenger pigeon.
(d) The draba.
15. What is on top of the White Mountain?
(a) A meadow.
(b) A boneyard.
(c) A desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What steers the course of history, according to scientists?
2. The narrator likens the hunter in the Sierra Madres to what?
3. What are the fastest shrinking wilderness areas?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 14, what is the purpose of the farms they are passing by?
5. In the summer, the weather on White Mountain is unpredictable because of what?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)