|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says that professors serve what?
(a) Their universities.
(b) The environment.
(d) The wilderness.
2. What is another area of Wisconsin that the narrator has a deep love for?
(a) The cities.
(b) The sand counties.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The lakes.
3. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, what is accepted as a necessary evil in the northwestern foothills?
(a) Roaming cattle.
(d) Cheat grass.
4. What bird is only found only in the sand counties?
(a) The woodpecker.
(b) The clay colored sparrow.
(c) The golden duck.
(d) The jackpine.
5. What animals do the grizzly bear eat in the spring?
6. When does the narrator buy a farm?
7. Recreation is an economic resource of the government, but the narrator believes that it also has what kind of component to it?
8. What forms a lake in Wisconsin that is half as long as the state itself?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A glacier.
(d) A mammoth rock slide.
9. Why does the dairy industry want to put a dam on the river?
(a) For recreation.
(b) For electricity.
(c) For its use in dairy farming.
(d) For preservation.
10. What animal does the narrator kill first with his gun?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) An icewart.
(d) A duck.
11. According to the narrator, too much safety in our lives means what in the long run?
(a) More predictability.
(c) Less prosperity.
(d) Loss of excitement.
12. What does the bus pass through, after it passes State College?
(a) More farmland.
(b) Marsh area.
13. When the bus passes through a cemetery, what plant does the narrator see?
14. The narrator believes that wildlife administrators are too busy figuring out what to shoot at rather than paying attention to what?
(a) The false advertisments.
(b) The cultural values of shooting.
(c) What is happening to the wildlife.
(d) The type of guns being used.
15. What are the fastest shrinking wilderness areas?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, how many different components of the recreational process are there?
2. The narrator discusses the travel of what through time?
3. When does the narrator kill his first partridge?
4. According to the narrator, what are people not able to successfully control?
5. The narrator likens the hunter in the Sierra Madres to what?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)