|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the chicks to grow up and learn to fly after they hatch?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 90 days.
2. The narrator talks about the geese's inevitable flight to where?
(a) The south.
(b) The marshes of Sand County.
(c) Their original breeding ground.
(d) The north.
3. Who lives in the hollow oak trees?
(c) All the above.
4. Getting up early is a vice of horned owls, stars, geese and what?
(d) Freight trains.
5. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
(a) The presence or absence of coons.
(b) The number of other animals that are nearby.
(c) The height or length of the branches on trees.
(d) The size of the deer.
6. According to the introduction, the first twelve chapters of the book generally are a description of what?
(a) The author's travels.
(c) The author's theories.
7. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
(a) In the field.
(b) At a pile of driftwood.
(c) At the edge of the river.
(d) At the bottom of the tree.
8. In November, the wind blows in what direction?
9. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
(a) Bird nestings.
(b) Plant growth.
(c) Animal tracks.
(d) Bird migrations.
10. In the morning sunlight, the painting is sprayed with what?
(a) A clear color.
(d) An overlay of blue.
11. When is the best time to hunt for grouse?
(a) When the tamaracks turn gold.
(b) When the rain starts.
(c) When the weather turns cold.
(d) When the berries turn ripe.
12. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
13. In June, the robin starts singing in the early morning, but in autumn, when does the robin sing?
(a) In the evening.
(b) In mid morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) The robin is silent.
14. By following the deer tracks, the narrator finds out that the deer move about in an area approximately how long to find food from their bed?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) One-half mile.
(d) One mile.
15. What flower does the narrator write about in April?
(a) Prairie flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that November is the month of the what?
2. Where do the narrator and his friends wait out the storm?
3. How long does it take to finish the painting?
4. What tree does the narrator write about in April?
5. According to the narrator, about how many wild plants go into season every week from April to September?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)