|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the woodcock land after the dance?
(a) The place where they hope to nest.
(b) The grass.
(c) The same spot that he start in.
(d) The top of a tree.
2. How long do pine trees usually live?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 100 years.
3. How long do birch trees usually live?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 1,000 years.
(d) 25 years.
4. Who does the narrator say is the most exciting about the flooding of the land where he lives?
(b) The woodcock.
(c) The carp.
(d) The geese.
5. Why does the chickadee come by when a person is out chopping trees?
(a) To investigate the noise.
(b) It senses danger.
(c) To get food.
(d) It likes people.
6. Most hunters don't know that the partridge likes to hang around what bush?
(a) Blueberry bush.
(b) Cranberry bush.
(c) Raspberry bush.
(d) Blackberry bush.
7. In 1937, the narrator bands how many chickadees?
8. The narrator says that different hunts have different what?
(c) Time limits.
9. Why does the narrator love the aspen?
(a) It has beautiful leaves.
(b) It provides food for his grouse.
(c) It has lovely colors.
(d) It grows tall.
10. According to the narrator, some hunters get into the habit of getting up early from who or what?
(a) From dogs or coffee pots.
(b) From owls or other birds.
(c) From geese or other birds.
(d) From geese or coffee pots.
11. Why does the narrator like the hazel?
(a) It gives shade.
(b) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(c) It has a purple color.
(d) It provides food for his grouse.
12. Why don't people ignore all these wild plants?
(a) Because of allergies.
(b) Because they are so numerous.
(c) Because of their color.
(d) Because of where they grow.
13. The narrator talks about the geese's inevitable flight to where?
(a) Their original breeding ground.
(b) The south.
(c) The marshes of Sand County.
(d) The north.
14. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
15. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
(a) Animal tracks.
(b) Bird migrations.
(c) Plant growth.
(d) Bird nestings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
2. What is silphium?
3. What kind of trees do the narrator and dog arrive at during their hunt?
4. What is one thing that nobody knows about the woodcock and the dance?
5. When do birds in the early morning marsh leave for safer waters?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)