|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All the trees in the area date to what time?
(a) 1810s and 1820s.
(b) 1850s and 1860s.
(c) 1830s and 1840s.
(d) 1870s and 1880s.
2. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) Under buildings.
(b) In tree trunks.
(c) In tunnels in the ground.
(d) In tunnels in the snow.
3. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
(a) It is afraid it gets caught.
(b) It won't attract the female.
(c) It has short legs.
(d) Its wings are too long.
4. In November, the wind blows in what direction?
5. How long does it take silphium to mature?
(a) Probably a year.
(b) Probably a decade.
(c) Probably five years.
(d) Probably a millenium.
6. When is the best time to hunt for grouse?
(a) When the rain starts.
(b) When the weather turns cold.
(c) When the berries turn ripe.
(d) When the tamaracks turn gold.
7. In the November chapter, the narrator's focus is on what?
8. The narrator says that the geese are making this journey since when?
(a) The 1800s.
(b) The Ice Age.
(c) The Pleistocene era.
(d) The 1200s.
9. When do people begin to settle in the prairie lands?
10. How long does the narrator wait to cut the oak tree down?
(a) A few days.
(b) A month.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Several years.
11. The narrator says that November is the month of the what?
(a) The axe.
(b) The tractor.
(c) The wind.
(d) The shovel.
12. How long do birch trees usually live?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 1,000 years.
13. What is the general topic of A Sand County?
14. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) At the end of summer.
(b) When the air turns too cool for them.
(c) At the beginning of winter.
(d) When their chicks are grown.
15. Who does the narrator say is the most exciting about the flooding of the land where he lives?
(a) The carp.
(b) The woodcock.
(c) The geese.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that geese make these migratory journeys where?
2. What does the narrator admire while eating lunch?
3. What is the first wildlife the narrator mentions lives in his woods?
4. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
5. Where do plovers nest?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)