|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) When their chicks are grown.
(b) At the end of summer.
(c) When the air turns too cool for them.
(d) At the beginning of winter.
2. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
(a) Drainage ditches.
(b) Hay mowers.
3. By following the deer tracks, the narrator finds out that the deer move about in an area approximately how long to find food from their bed?
(a) Five miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Two miles.
(d) One-half mile.
4. What is the main argument of this book?
(c) Land ethic.
(d) Social conscience.
5. What tree does the narrator have a bias towards?
6. Why does the narrator love the tamarack?
(a) It provides food for his grouse.
(b) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(c) It gives shade.
(d) It has beautiful leaves.
7. What saves the plovers?
(a) The plovers move to other areas.
(b) Local gun laws.
(c) Federal habitat laws.
(d) Federal migratory bird laws.
8. Who bathes in the the pools of the painting?
9. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
10. For how long does the faithful oak tree provide wood for the narrator's family?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 80 years.
(d) 20 years.
11. According to the narrator, where do most people see silphium?
(a) In the prairies.
(b) In areas near riverbanks.
(c) In a botany book.
(d) In areas near graveyards.
12. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
(a) Walk between berry bushes.
(b) Make a plan of what to do.
(c) Walk along the path at the marsh.
(d) Walk through the mountains.
13. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
(a) The full moon in April.
(b) After the first rain in April.
(c) One evening in April.
(d) The first warm evening in April.
14. How many winters do the longest survivor of the narrator's banded chickadee group live?
15. How do animals generally move during this time in January?
(a) Ambling along.
(b) Very slowly.
(d) Very rapidly.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator talks about the geese's inevitable flight to where?
2. What animal/bird does the plover follow?
3. The narrator says that the geese are making this journey since when?
4. In 1937, the narrator bands how many chickadees?
5. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)