|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tracks does the narrator follow in Chapter One?
2. What animal/bird does the plover follow?
(c) Prairie dogs.
3. What flower does the narrator write about in April?
(b) Prairie flower.
4. Why does the narrator love the aspen?
(a) It has beautiful leaves.
(b) It has lovely colors.
(c) It provides food for his grouse.
(d) It grows tall.
5. How do animals generally move during this time in January?
(a) Ambling along.
(b) Very slowly.
(c) Very rapidly.
6. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
(a) The presence or absence of coons.
(b) The height or length of the branches on trees.
(c) The size of the deer.
(d) The number of other animals that are nearby.
7. Who does the narrator ask to help cut down the oak tree?
(a) A friend.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) He does it alone.
(d) His son.
8. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
(a) In the field.
(b) At a pile of driftwood.
(c) At the bottom of the tree.
(d) At the edge of the river.
9. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
(c) Prairie dogs.
10. Who does the narrator say is the first animal to awaken in January?
11. In Adams County, October is the hunting season for what?
(c) Horned owls.
12. Where does the upland plover spend the winter?
(a) Central America.
(c) The South Pole.
13. What kind of seedlings does the narrator describe?
14. The narrator says that different hunts have different what?
(d) Time limits.
15. Why does the narrator like the hazel?
(a) It gives shade.
(b) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(c) It has a purple color.
(d) It provides food for his grouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do birch trees usually live?
2. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
3. Where do the narrator and his friends wait out the storm?
4. What is the main argument of this book?
5. For how long does the faithful oak tree provide wood for the narrator's family?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)