|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't people ignore all these wild plants?
(a) Because of where they grow.
(b) Because of allergies.
(c) Because they are so numerous.
(d) Because of their color.
2. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
(a) The full moon in April.
(b) After the first rain in April.
(c) The first warm evening in April.
(d) One evening in April.
3. Who does the narrator say is the first animal to awaken in January?
4. The narrator says that the geese are making this journey since when?
(a) The Ice Age.
(b) The 1200s.
(c) The Pleistocene era.
(d) The 1800s.
5. How long do pine trees usually live?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 50 years.
6. People tend to ignore song birds that do what?
(a) Sing only in the evening.
(b) Sing all the time.
(c) Sing long songs.
(d) Sing only part of the time.
7. The narrator says that the geese are good at what?
(a) Flying long distances.
(b) Eating while flying.
(c) International commerce.
(d) Returning to where they are born.
8. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
(a) Animal tracks.
(b) Bird migrations.
(c) Bird nestings.
(d) Plant growth.
9. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
10. Who lives in the hollow oak trees?
(d) All the above.
11. In June, the robin starts singing in the early morning, but in autumn, when does the robin sing?
(a) In mid morning.
(b) The robin is silent.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the evening.
12. Who paints the picture or scene that the narrator likes to view?
(a) The narrator himself.
(b) The river.
(c) The visiting painter.
(d) The painter who lives on the land.
13. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
(a) At the bottom of the tree.
(b) At the edge of the river.
(c) At a pile of driftwood.
(d) In the field.
14. When do people begin to settle in the prairie lands?
15. What tree does the narrator write about in April?
(a) Bur oak.
(c) Bur fir.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
2. According to the narrator, who are his tenants?
3. How long do the blackberry bushes glow red?
4. What animal do the cured oak leaves feed?
5. Where does the upland plover spend the winter?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)