|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
(a) At the bottom of the tree.
(b) At a pile of driftwood.
(c) In the field.
(d) At the edge of the river.
2. Where do the animals go when they are pushed out of their home by the floods?
(a) Higher land.
(b) Nowhere, they drown.
(c) The forest.
(d) The prairie.
3. According to the narrator, who are his tenants?
(a) Those who rent his land.
(b) The animals who live there.
(c) Those who visit him.
(d) His family who lives there.
4. How many acres of land does the narrator legally own?
5. Most geese travel in families of how many?
6. How many commandments does the narrator believe the chickadee lives by?
7. What tree does the narrator have a bias towards?
8. According to the narrator, where do most people see silphium?
(a) In a botany book.
(b) In areas near graveyards.
(c) In areas near riverbanks.
(d) In the prairies.
9. What is the main argument of this book?
(b) Social conscience.
(c) Land ethic.
10. What is one thing that nobody knows about the woodcock and the dance?
(a) Where the female bird is.
(b) Where it ends.
(c) When it occurs.
(d) How long it lasts.
11. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
(a) The neighbor's tractor.
(b) Animals moving.
(c) A tree falling.
(d) Dogs barking.
12. What flower does the narrator write about in April?
(d) Prairie flower.
13. How many winters do the longest survivor of the narrator's banded chickadee group live?
14. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
(a) Bird nestings.
(b) Bird migrations.
(c) Plant growth.
(d) Animal tracks.
15. Where does the woodcock land after the dance?
(a) The place where they hope to nest.
(b) The top of a tree.
(c) The same spot that he start in.
(d) The grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is silphium?
2. Where does the narrator go to see silphium?
3. How many different kinds of pine tree are there in Wisconsin?
4. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
5. By following the deer tracks, the narrator finds out that the deer move about in an area approximately how long to find food from their bed?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)