|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator like the hazel?
(a) It provides food for his grouse.
(b) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(c) It has a purple color.
(d) It gives shade.
2. According to the introduction, the first twelve chapters of the book generally are a description of what?
(a) The author's theories.
(c) The author's travels.
3. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) At the beginning of winter.
(b) At the end of summer.
(c) When the air turns too cool for them.
(d) When their chicks are grown.
4. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
(a) Dogs barking.
(b) A tree falling.
(c) The neighbor's tractor.
(d) Animals moving.
5. In November, the wind blows in what direction?
6. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
(a) The full moon in April.
(b) The first warm evening in April.
(c) One evening in April.
(d) After the first rain in April.
7. The narrator concludes that if there is a lone goose, it is caused by what?
(a) Being left behind.
(b) Human involvement.
(c) Animal involvement.
(d) Getting lost.
8. Who lives in the hollow oak trees?
(a) All the above.
9. How long do birch trees usually live?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 25 years.
10. What is the first bird that the narrator hears singing?
(a) The cardinals.
(b) The yellow warblers.
(c) The sparrows.
(d) The plovers.
11. The book begins in January with what type of weather or environment?
(a) The ice storms.
(b) The January snow.
(c) The midwinter blizzards.
(d) The January thaw.
12. How many of the fish that the narrator catches are record breakers in size?
13. What kind of trees do the narrator and dog arrive at during their hunt?
(a) Bur Oak.
14. What is the general topic of A Sand County?
15. What fish is the narrator fishing for?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do birds in the early morning marsh leave for safer waters?
2. In Adams County, October is the hunting season for what?
3. How many winters do the longest survivor of the narrator's banded chickadee group live?
4. Who does the narrator say is the first animal to awaken in January?
5. What is the one thing that the narrator believes really kills a chickadee?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)