|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the morning sunlight, the painting is sprayed with what?
(a) An overlay of blue.
(c) A clear color.
2. What saves the plovers?
(a) Federal habitat laws.
(b) Federal migratory bird laws.
(c) Local gun laws.
(d) The plovers move to other areas.
3. How long does it take the chicks to grow up and learn to fly after they hatch?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 90 days.
(d) 30 days.
4. A person tells a lot about animals' feeding habits during a season by looking at what?
(a) The animal itself.
(b) The plants.
(c) The tracks.
(d) The ground.
5. When do birds in the early morning marsh leave for safer waters?
(a) When they wake up.
(b) When they hear noises.
(c) Once day breaks.
(d) Mid morning.
6. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
(a) Drainage ditches.
(d) Hay mowers.
7. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
(a) Walk between berry bushes.
(b) Walk through the mountains.
(c) Make a plan of what to do.
(d) Walk along the path at the marsh.
8. Why does the narrator say he has to get off his neighbor's property?
(a) To get back to his house.
(b) To avoid having to explain what he is doing.
(c) To avoid being caught for trespassing.
(d) So his neighbor can get to work.
9. Who does the narrator say is the most exciting about the flooding of the land where he lives?
(b) The geese.
(c) The carp.
(d) The woodcock.
10. The narrator says that geese make these migratory journeys where?
(a) Only in the eastern hemisphere.
(b) Throughout the world.
(c) Only in the United States.
(d) Only in the western hemisphere.
11. The book begins in January with what type of weather or environment?
(a) The ice storms.
(b) The January thaw.
(c) The January snow.
(d) The midwinter blizzards.
12. Where is the best place to place a trap for a chickadee?
(a) Near a fallen tree.
(b) On the ground.
(c) In the tree.
(d) In the direction of the wind.
13. Who does the narrator ask to help cut down the oak tree?
(a) A friend.
(b) His son.
(c) He does it alone.
(d) His neighbor.
14. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
(a) Stays where the partidge is.
(b) Finds another partridge.
(c) Walks away.
15. How many winters do the longest survivor of the narrator's banded chickadee group live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
2. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
3. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
4. Where does the narrator go fishing?
5. According to the introduction, the first twelve chapters of the book generally are a description of what?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)