|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator concludes that if there is a lone goose, it is caused by what?
(a) Animal involvement.
(b) Being left behind.
(c) Human involvement.
(d) Getting lost.
2. Why does the narrator love the tamarack?
(a) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(b) It gives shade.
(c) It has beautiful leaves.
(d) It provides food for his grouse.
3. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
(a) Dogs barking.
(b) A tree falling.
(c) Animals moving.
(d) The neighbor's tractor.
4. The woodcock begins its overture with throaty chirps that are spaced how far apart?
(a) Two seconds.
(b) One second.
(c) One minutes.
(d) Five seconds.
5. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) In tunnels in the ground.
(b) Under buildings.
(c) In tunnels in the snow.
(d) In tree trunks.
6. In November, the wind blows in what direction?
7. Who bathes in the the pools of the painting?
8. When do birds in the early morning marsh leave for safer waters?
(a) When they wake up.
(b) Once day breaks.
(c) When they hear noises.
(d) Mid morning.
9. How many commandments does the narrator believe the chickadee lives by?
10. By following the deer tracks, the narrator finds out that the deer move about in an area approximately how long to find food from their bed?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) One-half mile.
(d) One mile.
11. The narrator says that the geese are good at what?
(a) Returning to where they are born.
(b) Flying long distances.
(c) Eating while flying.
(d) International commerce.
12. The narrator says that different hunts have different what?
(a) Time limits.
13. How many different kinds of pine tree are there in Wisconsin?
14. What is the main argument of this book?
(b) Land ethic.
(d) Social conscience.
15. Getting up early is a vice of horned owls, stars, geese and what?
(d) Freight trains.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator talks about the geese's inevitable flight to where?
2. In the morning sunlight, the painting is sprayed with what?
3. Most geese travel in families of how many?
4. In 1937, the narrator bands how many chickadees?
5. What does the narrator admire while eating lunch?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)