|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say is the first animal to awaken in January?
2. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
3. Why does the narrator say he has to get off his neighbor's property?
(a) To avoid having to explain what he is doing.
(b) To get back to his house.
(c) So his neighbor can get to work.
(d) To avoid being caught for trespassing.
4. According to the narrator, where do most people see silphium?
(a) In areas near graveyards.
(b) In the prairies.
(c) In a botany book.
(d) In areas near riverbanks.
5. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
6. How many different kinds of pine tree are there in Wisconsin?
7. What is the main argument of this book?
(a) Social conscience.
(c) Land ethic.
8. What does the narrator admire while eating lunch?
(a) The grouse.
(b) His dog.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The young golden tamaracks.
9. What kind of tracks are seen in the painting?
(a) Animal tracks.
(b) Tire tracks.
(c) People tracks.
(d) There are no tracks in the painting.
10. The narrator says that different hunts have different what?
(d) Time limits.
11. All the trees in the area date to what time?
(a) 1830s and 1840s.
(b) 1870s and 1880s.
(c) 1810s and 1820s.
(d) 1850s and 1860s.
12. How many of the fish that the narrator catches are record breakers in size?
13. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) In tree trunks.
(b) In tunnels in the ground.
(c) In tunnels in the snow.
(d) Under buildings.
14. Why does the narrator like the hazel?
(a) It gives shade.
(b) It is nearly extinct in his area.
(c) It has a purple color.
(d) It provides food for his grouse.
15. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
(a) It has short legs.
(b) Its wings are too long.
(c) It won't attract the female.
(d) It is afraid it gets caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. People tend to ignore song birds that do what?
2. In the November chapter, the narrator's focus is on what?
3. What fish is the narrator fishing for?
4. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
5. When do people begin to settle in the prairie lands?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)