|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most geese travel in families of how many?
2. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
(a) Its wings are too long.
(b) It won't attract the female.
(c) It has short legs.
(d) It is afraid it gets caught.
3. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
4. What is one thing that nobody knows about the woodcock and the dance?
(a) When it occurs.
(b) How long it lasts.
(c) Where it ends.
(d) Where the female bird is.
5. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) When their chicks are grown.
(b) At the beginning of winter.
(c) At the end of summer.
(d) When the air turns too cool for them.
6. How many commandments does the narrator believe the chickadee lives by?
7. Where do plovers nest?
(a) Under the ground.
8. Who does the narrator ask to help cut down the oak tree?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) He does it alone.
(c) A friend.
(d) His son.
9. Where is the best place to place a trap for a chickadee?
(a) In the direction of the wind.
(b) On the ground.
(c) In the tree.
(d) Near a fallen tree.
10. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
(a) Finds another partridge.
(c) Walks away.
(d) Stays where the partidge is.
11. According to the narrator, where do most people see silphium?
(a) In areas near riverbanks.
(b) In a botany book.
(c) In the prairies.
(d) In areas near graveyards.
12. What is the general topic of A Sand County?
13. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
(b) Hay mowers.
(d) Drainage ditches.
14. How does the painting, that the narrator describes in August, begin?
(a) With an outline.
(b) With a silt ribbon.
(c) With a green line.
(d) With the sky.
15. Where does the upland plover spend the winter?
(b) The South Pole.
(c) Central America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator hear when the sun comes up?
2. Where does the narrator go to see silphium?
3. How many of the fish that the narrator catches are record breakers in size?
4. Where do the animals go when they are pushed out of their home by the floods?
5. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)