|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All the trees in the area date to what time?
(a) 1850s and 1860s.
(b) 1810s and 1820s.
(c) 1830s and 1840s.
(d) 1870s and 1880s.
2. By following the deer tracks, the narrator finds out that the deer move about in an area approximately how long to find food from their bed?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) One-half mile.
3. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
(a) Make a plan of what to do.
(b) Walk between berry bushes.
(c) Walk through the mountains.
(d) Walk along the path at the marsh.
4. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) Under buildings.
(b) In tunnels in the snow.
(c) In tunnels in the ground.
(d) In tree trunks.
5. Why does the chickadee come by when a person is out chopping trees?
(a) To get food.
(b) It senses danger.
(c) To investigate the noise.
(d) It likes people.
6. How long do pine trees usually live?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 50 years.
7. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
8. According to the narrator, who are his tenants?
(a) His family who lives there.
(b) Those who rent his land.
(c) Those who visit him.
(d) The animals who live there.
9. What flower does the narrator write about in April?
(d) Prairie flower.
10. Where do plovers nest?
(a) Under the ground.
11. Getting up early is a vice of horned owls, stars, geese and what?
(d) Freight trains.
12. Where does the upland plover spend the winter?
(b) Central America.
(d) The South Pole.
13. According to the narrator, where do most people see silphium?
(a) In areas near riverbanks.
(b) In a botany book.
(c) In areas near graveyards.
(d) In the prairies.
14. When does the narrator leave his house with a notebook and coffee?
(a) 7:00 a.m.
(b) 3:30 a.m.
(c) 5:00 a.m.
(d) 6:30 a.m.
15. How long does it take to finish the painting?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the chicks to grow up and learn to fly after they hatch?
2. What do people follow, since there is so little going on in nature in January?
3. Where does the woodcock land after the dance?
4. Where does the narrator go fishing?
5. Most geese travel in families of how many?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)