|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The woodcock begins its overture with throaty chirps that are spaced how far apart?
(a) Five seconds.
(b) One minutes.
(c) Two seconds.
(d) One second.
2. What tree does the narrator have a bias towards?
3. According to the introduction, the first twelve chapters of the book generally are a description of what?
(b) The author's theories.
(d) The author's travels.
4. Where do plovers nest?
(d) Under the ground.
5. What kind of seedlings does the narrator describe?
6. When do the plover go back to Argentina?
(a) At the beginning of winter.
(b) When their chicks are grown.
(c) When the air turns too cool for them.
(d) At the end of summer.
7. Why does the chickadee come by when a person is out chopping trees?
(a) To get food.
(b) It likes people.
(c) It senses danger.
(d) To investigate the noise.
8. All the trees in the area date to what time?
(a) 1830s and 1840s.
(b) 1870s and 1880s.
(c) 1810s and 1820s.
(d) 1850s and 1860s.
9. The narrator says that November is the month of the what?
(a) The tractor.
(b) The axe.
(c) The shovel.
(d) The wind.
10. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
(b) Finds another partridge.
(c) Stays where the partidge is.
(d) Walks away.
11. In the morning sunlight, the painting is sprayed with what?
(c) An overlay of blue.
(d) A clear color.
12. How long does it take the chicks to grow up and learn to fly after they hatch?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 90 days.
(d) 2 months.
13. What kind of tracks are seen in the painting?
(a) Tire tracks.
(b) There are no tracks in the painting.
(c) People tracks.
(d) Animal tracks.
14. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
(d) Prairie dogs.
15. Plovers are smart enough to avoid what?
(b) Hay mowers.
(d) Drainage ditches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of predator follows the meadow mouse?
2. Where does the narrator go to see silphium?
3. What animal do the cured oak leaves feed?
4. People tend to ignore song birds that do what?
5. According to the narrator, about how many wild plants go into season every week from April to September?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)