|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many different kinds of pine tree are there in Wisconsin?
2. When is the best time to hunt for grouse?
(a) When the weather turns cold.
(b) When the berries turn ripe.
(c) When the tamaracks turn gold.
(d) When the rain starts.
3. Where does the narrator go to see silphium?
(a) The field.
(b) The riverbank.
(c) The graveyard.
(d) The forest.
4. How long do pine trees usually live?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 1,000 years.
(d) 100 years.
5. Pines grow better if they are around certain types of what?
6. In the November chapter, the narrator's focus is on what?
7. Why does the narrator love the aspen?
(a) It has beautiful leaves.
(b) It grows tall.
(c) It has lovely colors.
(d) It provides food for his grouse.
8. What is the first bird that the narrator hears singing?
(a) The cardinals.
(b) The plovers.
(c) The sparrows.
(d) The yellow warblers.
9. What kind of tracks does the narrator follow in Chapter One?
10. The woodcock begins its overture with throaty chirps that are spaced how far apart?
(a) Five seconds.
(b) One second.
(c) Two seconds.
(d) One minutes.
11. The book begins in January with what type of weather or environment?
(a) The January thaw.
(b) The January snow.
(c) The ice storms.
(d) The midwinter blizzards.
12. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
(a) The presence or absence of coons.
(b) The size of the deer.
(c) The number of other animals that are nearby.
(d) The height or length of the branches on trees.
13. Where is the best place to place a trap for a chickadee?
(a) In the tree.
(b) Near a fallen tree.
(c) In the direction of the wind.
(d) On the ground.
14. What kind of trees do the narrator and dog arrive at during their hunt?
(d) Bur Oak.
15. How many miles do the geese travel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do animals generally move during this time in January?
2. What animal is playing on the green turf in the painting?
3. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
4. What does the narrator's dog do when the narrator misses a shot?
5. The narrator says that the geese are making this journey since when?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)