|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fish is the narrator fishing for?
2. When is the best time to hunt for grouse?
(a) When the rain starts.
(b) When the tamaracks turn gold.
(c) When the berries turn ripe.
(d) When the weather turns cold.
3. How long does it take to finish the painting?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
4. Where does the narrator go fishing?
(a) Sand County Creek.
(b) Prairie Stream.
(c) Sand County River.
(d) Alder Fork.
5. What is the best way to hunt partridge?
(a) Make a plan of what to do.
(b) Walk through the mountains.
(c) Walk between berry bushes.
(d) Walk along the path at the marsh.
6. How long does it take silphium to mature?
(a) Probably five years.
(b) Probably a millenium.
(c) Probably a year.
(d) Probably a decade.
7. What saves the plovers?
(a) Federal migratory bird laws.
(b) Federal habitat laws.
(c) The plovers move to other areas.
(d) Local gun laws.
8. Who bathes in the the pools of the painting?
9. Who lives in the hollow oak trees?
(c) All the above.
10. Where is the best place to place a trap for a chickadee?
(a) On the ground.
(b) In the direction of the wind.
(c) Near a fallen tree.
(d) In the tree.
11. What kind of predator follows the meadow mouse?
12. What is the first bird that the narrator hears singing?
(a) The yellow warblers.
(b) The plovers.
(c) The sparrows.
(d) The cardinals.
13. Where does the meadow mouse live in the winter?
(a) In tunnels in the ground.
(b) Under buildings.
(c) In tunnels in the snow.
(d) In tree trunks.
14. In Chapter One, where do the tracks end that the narrator is following?
(a) In the field.
(b) At the edge of the river.
(c) At a pile of driftwood.
(d) At the bottom of the tree.
15. What animal/bird does the plover follow?
(a) Prairie dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the woodcock land after the dance?
2. When does the woodcock begins his show every year?
3. Why doesn't the woodcock dance in the brush or grass?
4. How long does the narrator wait to cut the oak tree down?
5. Why does the narrator love the aspen?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)