|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Oregon and Utah and Chapter 18, Manitoba.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes cheat grass inedible for the livestock?
(a) Prickly awns.
(c) Hard stem.
(d) Thick leaves.
2. Why don't people ignore all these wild plants?
(a) Because of their color.
(b) Because of allergies.
(c) Because they are so numerous.
(d) Because of where they grow.
3. Pines do best when they are away from their parents, because they get their own what?
4. Why does the chickadee come by when a person is out chopping trees?
(a) It likes people.
(b) To get food.
(c) It senses danger.
(d) To investigate the noise.
5. According to the narrator, today the honey-colored hills of the northwest mountains are covered with what?
(a) Degrading hay.
(b) Cheat grass.
(c) Old alfalfa fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grass do the cattle love to eat?
2. When does the narrator leave his house with a notebook and coffee?
3. What is a good indicator of whether a farmer protects his corn crop from deer?
4. What is silphium?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, what is accepted as a necessary evil in the northwestern foothills?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)