|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American institution presents some discussion on actions that the U.S. could have taken to help Jews?
(a) The World War II Memorial.
(b) The Museum of American History.
(c) The U.S. Holocaust Museum.
(d) The Smithsonian Institution.
2. What ethnicity is Raphael Lemkin?
(a) Russian Jew.
(b) German Catholic.
(c) Polish Jew.
3. America officially ________, and Turkey officially _____________, the Armenian genocide. This stance is true with both countries to this day.
(a) Acknowledges, denies.
(b) Ignores, acknowledges.
(c) Denies, denies.
(d) Ignores, denies.
4. When the United States sets up the Committee on Armenian Atrocities, what does the group not call for on behalf of the Armenians?
(a) Financial relief.
(b) Diplomatic intervention.
(c) Public awareness.
(d) Military intervention.
5. President Carter makes the first public condemnation of the Khmer Rouge in ____1978.
6. What term does the Allied condemnation apply to Turkey's persecution of the Armenians?
(b) Crimes against humanity.
(c) Ethnic cleansing.
7. What proportion of United Nations member states must ratify a measure before it becomes international law?
8. The Allies have ____________ intelligence on Hitler's extermination of European Jews.
(a) A great deal of.
(d) Very little.
9. Key to the definition of genocide is that it is an attempt to wipe out an entire:
10. In the preface, Power identifies which Serbian leader as the ringleader of the Bosnian genocide?
11. In what year does the Armenian genocide, which kills nearly 1 million people, take place?
12. In the Preface, Power describes a _____-year-old Sarajevan who was killed in a bombing.
13. How does Proxmire make his case for ratification of the genocide treaty?
(a) He calls for a vote on the treaty every day on the Senate floor.
(b) He gives a daily speech on genocide on the Senate floor.
(c) He travels the world and made documentaries exposing acts of genocide.
(d) He hosts a daily national talk show about genocide.
14. Lemkin had long been fascinated by ____________.
15. The Khmer Rouge evacuates all __________ before commencing their genocide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry Morgenthau, a U.S. ambassador, contests America's lack of action in opposing the Armenian genocide. To which country is Morgenthau assigned?
2. Which of the following issues are not among those that the United States feared would be used against them under the genocide treaty?
3. In America, according to Power, the struggle to stop genocide is often determined by:
4. What happens on Dec. 11, 1946?
5. What is the name of the book that Lemkin publishes in his attempt to help people believe the claims?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)