|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lizzie ask Jay to do?
2. Jay begins to think that _______________________.
3. Whom did Jay tell Armstrong he could find?
4. Jay and Lizzie's first tobacco crop is labeled as _________________.
5. What does Mack ask Lizzie to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
2. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
3. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
4. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
5. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
6. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
7. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
8. How has Lizzie's relationship with Jay been affected by the mining situation at High Glen?
9. Why does Lizzie decide to run away with Mack?
10. How do Jay's political views alienate him from his Virginia neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the core of A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Jay and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Jay's life? How does Jay come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
Essay Topic 3
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)