|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. News arrives that _______________ has died.
2. Where does Peg hide while the sheriff searches for her?
3. What are Peg's feelings for Mack?
4. Who arrives unexpectedly at Mockjack Hall?
5. What happens to Jay after the first tobacco crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men determine about Mack and Lizzie's whereabouts after they find Peg?
2. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
3. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
4. What preparations has Mack made for his escape and what prevents him from going?
5. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
6. Why do Mack, Lizzie, and Peg decide to leave their wagon and belongings behind during their escape?
7. Why does Sir Philip Armstrong of the Secretary of State's office visit the Jamissons?
8. How has Lizzie's relationship with Jay been affected by the mining situation at High Glen?
9. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
10. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Mack and Lizzie's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)