|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the overseer of Mockjack Hall?
2. What is notable about Lizzie's baby?
3. Jay orders special accommodations on the ship for ______________.
4. Lizzie locks herself in her room with __________________.
5. Lizzie tells Sir George that she will testify for Mack but _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
2. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
3. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
4. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
5. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
6. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
7. Why does Sir Philip Armstrong of the Secretary of State's office visit the Jamissons?
8. What preparations has Mack made for his escape and what prevents him from going?
9. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
10. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)