|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jay's gambling debts are forgiven by Lennox in exchange for ____________________.
2. What river do Mack and Lizzie reach in Chapter 40?
3. Whom does Mack plan on taking with him when he escapes?
4. Mack finds a map of _______________ which he studies to plan an escape.
5. How does Jay feel about Mack working in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
2. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
3. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
4. What preparations has Mack made for his escape and what prevents him from going?
5. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
6. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
7. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
8. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
9. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
10. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)