|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Lizzie make after Jay beats her?
2. What is the city where the ship carrying the prisoners arrives in the colonies?
3. Jay begins to think that _______________________.
4. Whom did Jay tell Armstrong he could find?
5. Jay's gambling debts are forgiven by Lennox in exchange for ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
2. Does Jay feel it is worth his time to hunt for Lizzie?
3. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
4. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
5. Why does Jay not see himself as the overseer at Mockjack Hall?
6. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
7. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
8. Why does Lizzie decide to run away with Mack?
9. What preparations has Mack made for his escape and what prevents him from going?
10. What does Mack learn about what has happened to Cora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Mack and Lizzie's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)