|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jay's views on _______________ offend the dinner guests.
2. Who arrives unexpectedly at Mockjack Hall?
3. Who is Tony Tambala?
4. What does Mack ask Lizzie to do?
5. Why does Lizzie feel trapped in her situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
2. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
3. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
4. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
5. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
6. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
7. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
8. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
9. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
10. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the core of A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Jay and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Jay's life? How does Jay come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)