|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lizzie ask Jay to do?
2. Which servant girl do Lizzie and Mack take to the doctor in Fredericksburg?
3. Who is Tony Tambala?
4. Which relative does Jay meet while in Williamsburg?
5. Who has been killed in a mining accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
2. What advice does Lady Alicia give Jay regarding Sir George's will?
3. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
4. What does Mack learn about what has happened to Cora?
5. What are the terms of Sir George's will?
6. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
7. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
8. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
9. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
10. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the core of A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Jay and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Jay's life? How does Jay come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)