|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jay in hot pursuit of Lizzie?
2. What does the man from the Secretary of State's office want to do to Mack?
3. Who has arranged Jay's mortgage loan?
4. What is the name of the man whom Peg killed?
5. Who is the minister that visits Lizzie in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
2. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
3. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
4. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
5. How has Lizzie's relationship with Jay been affected by the mining situation at High Glen?
6. What preparations has Mack made for his escape and what prevents him from going?
7. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
8. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
9. What does Mack learn about what has happened to Cora?
10. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)