|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the ship carrying the prisoners to reach the colonies?
2. Jay orders special accommodations on the ship for ______________.
3. Which person is NOT taken to the courthouse in Chapter 24?
4. Who is the minister that visits Lizzie in London?
5. What happens to Jay after the first tobacco crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
2. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
3. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
4. What advice does Lady Alicia give Jay regarding Sir George's will?
5. What are the terms of Sir George's will?
6. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
7. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
8. How do Jay's political views alienate him from his Virginia neighbors?
9. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
10. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jay Jamisson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)