|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that prevents Mack from escaping?
2. Sir George functions as a _______________.
3. What do the Indians do after leading Mack and Lizzie to a meadow?
4. Whom does Lizzie's mother marry?
5. How does Jay feel about Mack working in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Philip Armstrong of the Secretary of State's office visit the Jamissons?
2. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
3. How do Jay's political views alienate him from his Virginia neighbors?
4. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
5. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
6. What advice does Lady Alicia give Jay regarding Sir George's will?
7. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
8. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
9. How has Lizzie's relationship with Jay been affected by the mining situation at High Glen?
10. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mack McAsh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)