|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jay and his men stop to ask if anyone has seen Mack and Lizzie?
2. Who has been killed in a mining accident?
3. Lady Alicia essentially tells Jay to __________________ if she refuses him in his pursuit of an heir.
4. Workers in the colonies have to work for whomever buys them for a period of ___________________.
5. What does the man from the Secretary of State's office want to do to Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
2. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
3. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
4. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
5. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
6. Why do Mack, Lizzie, and Peg decide to leave their wagon and belongings behind during their escape?
7. Why does Jay not see himself as the overseer at Mockjack Hall?
8. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
9. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
10. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)