|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes charge of the household staff after the death of Lizzie's baby?
2. News arrives that _______________ has died.
3. What is Mack's final punishment?
4. How did Peg kill the farmer who tried to rape her?
5. Jay's views on _______________ offend the dinner guests.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mack, Lizzie, and Peg decide to leave their wagon and belongings behind during their escape?
2. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
3. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
4. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
5. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
6. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
7. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
8. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
9. Why does Jay not see himself as the overseer at Mockjack Hall?
10. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jay Jamisson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)