|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Mack tell about Lizzie when he sees her riding her horse?
2. Jay orders special accommodations on the ship for ______________.
3. Why does Jay go to Williamsburg?
4. Who is the minister that visits Lizzie in London?
5. Lizzie tells Sir George that she will testify for Mack but _____________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)