|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers Lizzie's baby?
2. Who arrives unexpectedly at Mockjack Hall?
3. Lady Alicia essentially tells Jay to __________________ if she refuses him in his pursuit of an heir.
4. What happens to Jay after the first tobacco crop?
5. Sir George functions as a _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
2. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
3. Does Jay feel it is worth his time to hunt for Lizzie?
4. Why do Mack, Lizzie, and Peg decide to leave their wagon and belongings behind during their escape?
5. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
6. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
7. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
8. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
9. What do the men determine about Mack and Lizzie's whereabouts after they find Peg?
10. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Mack and Lizzie's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)