|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tavern Mack stops at in Fredericksburg?
2. What is the name of the man whom Peg killed?
3. Jay's views on _______________ offend the dinner guests.
4. What is the city where the ship carrying the prisoners arrives in the colonies?
5. How many days do Mack, Lizzie and Peg travel before they reach the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
2. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
3. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
4. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
5. What are the circumstances that have Peg seeking shelter at Mockjack Hall?
6. Does Jay feel it is worth his time to hunt for Lizzie?
7. Why does Jay not see himself as the overseer at Mockjack Hall?
8. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
9. What does Mack learn about what has happened to Cora?
10. What are the terms of Sir George's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of overcoming injustice will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of overcoming injustice throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)