|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been killed in a mining accident?
2. What happens to Jay after the first tobacco crop?
3. Who arrives unexpectedly at Mockjack Hall?
4. Mack is in a group of men who will work at ____________________.
5. Where does Mack ride to to buy some oats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lizzie decide to run away with Mack?
2. Why does Jay not see himself as the overseer at Mockjack Hall?
3. What advice does Lady Alicia give Jay regarding Sir George's will?
4. What is Mack's fate in the colonies?
5. Why do Mack, Lizzie, and Peg decide to leave their wagon and belongings behind during their escape?
6. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
7. What do the men determine about Mack and Lizzie's whereabouts after they find Peg?
8. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
9. What is the nature of the problems between Lizzie and Lennox?
10. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How is life different for someone like Mack who has no real family structure and support?
Essay Topic 3
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)