|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lizzie and Jay are to leave for Virginia ____________.
2. Jay orders special accommodations on the ship for ______________.
3. What decision does Lizzie make after Jay beats her?
4. Mack is in a group of men who will work at ____________________.
5. In exchange for being sent to America instead of being hanged, _____________ tells Jamisson where Mack lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
2. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
3. Why does Lizzie decide to run away with Mack?
4. Why does Lizzie feel forced to comply with the deal made between Gordonson and Sir George?
5. Why does Peg run away during the escape with Mack and Lizzie?
6. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
7. What do the men determine about Mack and Lizzie's whereabouts after they find Peg?
8. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
9. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
10. What does Mack learn about what has happened to Cora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
Essay Topic 3
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)