|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
2. Who pays for Lizzie's house?
3. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
4. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
5. Who is Mack's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
2. What is the year-and-a-day law?
3. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
4. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
5. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
6. What is life like for Mack in London?
7. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
8. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
9. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
10. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mack McAsh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)