|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Jamisson boy do the Jamissons hope Lizzie will marry?
2. Who has attended the hanging with Mack?
3. Who is Sir George's wife?
4. What is mined in the local mines?
5. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
2. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
3. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
4. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
5. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
6. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
7. What is the year-and-a-day law?
8. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
9. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
10. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How is life different for someone like Mack who has no real family structure and support?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)