|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jay Jamisson want to kill?
2. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
3. How is Mack punished on the way to the mines the next day?
4. When can Esther leave Scotland?
5. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
2. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
3. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
4. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
5. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
6. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
7. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
8. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
9. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
10. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jay and Mack. Both men want influence over Lizzie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in fiction? What other similarities and differences are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)