|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mack's boss?
2. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
3. What does Mack have to do before he can leave the mine?
4. How old was Mack when he first started working in the mines?
5. The Jamissons decide to let Mack ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
2. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
3. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
4. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
5. What is the year-and-a-day law?
6. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
7. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
8. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
9. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
10. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the core of A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Jay and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Jay's life? How does Jay come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of overcoming injustice will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of overcoming injustice throughout the book.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)