|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
3. What is Mack doing at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What is Lizzie's last name?
5. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
2. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
3. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
4. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
5. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
6. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
7. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
8. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
9. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
10. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Essay Topic 3
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)