|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
2. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
3. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
4. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
5. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of Sir George's will?
2. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
3. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
4. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
5. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
6. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
7. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
8. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
9. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
10. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How is life different for someone like Mack who has no real family structure and support?
Essay Topic 2
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)