|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is inscribed on the iron collar?
2. In what city is Jay and Lizzie's house located?
3. Who has attended the hanging with Mack?
4. What is Mack doing when Lizzie spots him during a walk?
5. What is Jay Jamisson hoping his father will give him as a birthday gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
2. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
3. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
4. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
5. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
6. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
7. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
8. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
9. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
10. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)