|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
2. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
3. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
4. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
5. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
2. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
3. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
4. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
5. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
6. What is the year-and-a-day law?
7. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
8. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
9. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
10. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)