|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
2. Why does Sir George Jamisson want Robert to marry Lizzie?
3. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
4. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
5. Who is Sir George's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
2. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
3. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
4. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
5. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
6. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
7. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
8. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
9. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
10. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)