|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
2. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
3. What news does Jay share with his mother?
4. To what city does Mack escape?
5. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
2. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
3. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
4. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
5. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
6. What is life like for Mack in London?
7. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
8. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
9. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
10. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mack McAsh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)