|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
2. Who is Mack's boss?
3. What news does Mack give to Jay?
4. When can Esther leave Scotland?
5. What is the name of the tobacco plantation that Sir George gives to Jay and Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
2. How are Jay, Dobbs, and Lennox killed?
3. Why is Lizzie unable to speak for Mack who is in prison?
4. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
5. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
6. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
7. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
8. What does Lizzie learn about Jay's affairs with slave girls?
9. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
10. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mack McAsh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)