|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT do for Mack?
2. Who saves Lizzie from being raped in the alley?
3. What does Lizzie wear to attend the event?
4. What is the last name of the person with whom Mack lives?
5. What is Lizzie's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
2. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
3. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
4. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
5. What is life like for Mack in London?
6. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
7. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
8. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
9. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
10. What is the year-and-a-day law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of overcoming injustice will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of overcoming injustice throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)