Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
2. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
3. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
4. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
5. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of Sir George's will?
2. How is Cora blackmailed into giving up Mack's location?
3. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
4. What is the fate of the prisoners in the colonies?
5. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
6. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
7. How does Mack begin to prepare for an escape from Mockjack Hall?
8. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
9. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
10. Why does Lizzie decide to testify on Mack's behalf?
Essay Topic 1
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)