|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sir George's wife?
2. What is the name of the tobacco plantation that Sir George gives to Jay and Lizzie?
3. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
4. What surprising news does Lizzie tell Mack?
5. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
2. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
3. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
4. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
5. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
6. What is life like for Mack in London?
7. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
8. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
9. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
10. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
How does Follett use the literary technique of local color in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Scottish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)