|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What preoccupies Jay's mind during the deer hunt?
2. What is High Glen?
3. What does a man want people to do in support of John Wilkes?
4. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
5. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
2. Why do the shippers boycott Mack and his gang, and what role does Lennox play in it?
3. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
4. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
5. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
6. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
7. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
8. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
9. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
10. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of overcoming injustice will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of overcoming injustice throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)