|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
2. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
3. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
4. Mack is offered a job as a/an _____________.
5. How is Mack punished on the way to the mines the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
2. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
3. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
4. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
5. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
6. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
7. What is the year-and-a-day law?
8. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
9. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
10. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Mack and Lizzie's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)