|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Jamisson boy do the Jamissons hope Lizzie will marry?
2. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
3. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
4. When can Esther leave Scotland?
5. Jay decides to propose to ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Mack give to Lizzie after the death of her baby?
2. How was Mack set up to be arrested?
3. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
4. What is the outcome of the trials for Cora, Peg, and Mack?
5. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
6. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
7. Who delivers Lizzie's baby, and what are the circumstances surrounding the birth?
8. How do Mack and Lizzie enlist the help of an Indian to serve as a guide?
9. What does Mack do to alert Lizzie that Jay and his party have found them?
10. How are Jay, Dobbs, and Lennox killed?
Essay Topic 1
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)