|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jay's mother say she began to hate her husband?
2. Who joins the Jamissons in the deer hunt?
3. When can Esther leave Scotland?
4. What preoccupies Jay's mind during the deer hunt?
5. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
2. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
3. What is life like for Mack in London?
4. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
5. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
6. Why do the shippers boycott Mack and his gang, and what role does Lennox play in it?
7. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
8. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
9. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
10. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)