|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mack doing when Lizzie spots him during a walk?
2. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
3. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
4. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
5. Why does Sir George Jamisson want Robert to marry Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
2. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
3. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
4. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
5. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
6. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
7. What is the year-and-a-day law?
8. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
9. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
10. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mack spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Follett uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Scotland using only your recall of Follett's descriptions. How do you visualize Scotland now that you have read A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Essay Topic 3
At the core of A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Jay and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Jay's life? How does Jay come to terms with this primary relationship?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)