|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
3. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
4. What is the last name of the person with whom Mack lives?
5. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
2. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
3. Why do the shippers boycott Mack and his gang, and what role does Lennox play in it?
4. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
5. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
6. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
7. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
8. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
9. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
10. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lizzie Hallim. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)