|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What preoccupies Jay's mind during the deer hunt?
2. Why can Sir George not give the Barbados plantation to Jay?
3. What does a man want people to do in support of John Wilkes?
4. Who heads up the group who kidnaps Mack?
5. What is the last name of the person with whom Mack lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
2. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
3. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
4. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
5. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
6. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
7. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
8. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
9. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
10. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mack McAsh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)