|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Sir George not give the Barbados plantation to Jay?
2. What is the last name of the person with whom Mack lives?
3. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
4. What news does Mack give to Jay?
5. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
2. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
3. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
4. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
5. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
6. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
7. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
8. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
9. Why do the shippers boycott Mack and his gang, and what role does Lennox play in it?
10. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of overcoming injustice will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of overcoming injustice throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Follett's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)