|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT do for Mack?
2. Lady Hallim is angry that Lizzie is in love with _________________.
3. What year is inscribed on the iron collar?
4. What is the name of the tobacco plantation that Sir George gives to Jay and Lizzie?
5. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
2. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
3. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
5. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
6. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
7. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
8. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
9. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
10. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two overall settings for the novel. Why does Follett use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Mack and Lizzie's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)