|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
(a) He fights Jay.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He cries.
(d) He congratulates Jay.
2. What news does Jay share with his mother?
(a) He is moving to America.
(b) He has a terminal illness.
(c) He has shot his father.
(d) He is in love with Lizzie.
3. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
(a) He wants to court Lizzie's sister.
(b) He wants to be his business partner.
(c) He wants to have a drink with him.
(d) Jay owes him money.
4. What does Delaney advise Mack to do?
(a) Leave town for a year or two.
(b) Open his own business.
(c) Get a job on a ship.
(d) Go back to school.
5. Who buys Mack and Dermot a drink for rescuing the girl?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
2. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
3. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
4. Who joins the Jamissons in the deer hunt?
5. What news does Mack give to Jay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Mack in London?
2. What is the year-and-a-day law?
3. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
4. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
5. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
6. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
7. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
8. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
9. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
10. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)