|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
(a) He is lazy.
(b) He is always late.
(c) He is Catholic.
(d) He is a troublemaker.
2. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) A month.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year and a day.
3. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her purse.
(c) Her undergarments.
(d) Her clothes.
4. Where is the tobacco plantation located?
(d) North Carolina.
5. What is mined in the local mines?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have Lizzie and Jay come to London?
2. What is the last name of Mack and Esther?
3. Where is Mack taken after he is captured?
4. Who does Jay Jamisson want to kill?
5. What is a firedamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's code about not letting anyone cheat him and how does that impact him and others?
2. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
3. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
4. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
5. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
6. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
7. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
8. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
9. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
10. What is the year-and-a-day law?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)