|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Mack find?
(a) Shoveling coal.
(b) Security guard.
(c) Hospital attendant.
(d) Tending bar.
2. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT do for Mack?
(a) Pulls him from the water.
(b) Ignores his cries for help.
(c) Dries him off.
(d) Gives him her fur coat.
3. Who of the following is NOT one of the last three people in the mines?
4. What is High Glen?
(a) A subdivision.
(b) A novel.
(c) A house.
(d) A bar.
5. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
(a) How dark it is.
(b) The number of women working there.
(c) How cold it is.
(d) How quiet it is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tobacco plantation that Sir George gives to Jay and Lizzie?
2. Where is Mack taken after he is captured?
3. Who is Sir George's wife?
4. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
5. What is the nature of the crowd after the event Lizzie attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
2. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
3. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
4. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
5. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
6. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
7. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
8. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
9. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
10. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)