|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Jamisson boy do the Jamissons hope Lizzie will marry?
2. What does Delaney advise Mack to do?
(a) Go back to school.
(b) Get a job on a ship.
(c) Open his own business.
(d) Leave town for a year or two.
3. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
4. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
(a) She found out that Jay has been secretly seeing her best friend.
(b) Jamisson people have been investigating the coal on Hallim land.
(c) She needs more time to think about the marriage.
(d) She realizes that the man she really loves is Robert.
5. Why can Sir George not give the Barbados plantation to Jay?
(a) He had to sell it.
(b) It belongs to Robert.
(c) It has been taken over by pirates.
(d) It has been destroyed by a hurricane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
2. Why does Sir George Jamisson want Robert to marry Lizzie?
3. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT do for Mack?
4. Who pays for Lizzie's house?
5. Who buys Mack and Dermot a drink for rescuing the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Alicia feel about Jay's decision to marry, and what does she want her husband to give Jay as a gift?
2. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
3. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
4. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
5. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
6. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
7. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
8. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
9. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
10. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)