|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizzie see advertised on a flyer while in London?
(a) A dress sale.
(b) A holiday dance.
(c) Mack's prize fight.
(d) A play she wants to see.
2. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
(a) He wants to court Lizzie's sister.
(b) He wants to have a drink with him.
(c) Jay owes him money.
(d) He wants to be his business partner.
3. Who is Sir George's wife?
(a) Lady Elizabeth.
(b) Lady Madeleine.
(c) Lady Elaine.
(d) Lady Alicia.
4. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
5. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) A year and a day.
(b) A month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
2. Mack is offered a job as a/an _____________.
3. How is Mack punished on the way to the mines the next day?
4. Who is the man running for Parliament who will support the coal heavers?
5. Who accompanies Lizzie to London to meet Jay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
2. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
3. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
4. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
5. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
6. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
7. What does Lizzie do when Mack is knocked unconscious during the fight?
8. What is the year-and-a-day law?
9. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
10. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)