|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the tobacco plantation located?
(b) North Carolina.
2. What job does Mack find?
(a) Hospital attendant.
(b) Tending bar.
(c) Security guard.
(d) Shoveling coal.
3. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
(a) A mine.
(b) An estate.
(c) Gold bricks.
(d) A horse.
4. Who is Mack's twin sister?
5. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
(a) He sets up a charity for unemployed men.
(b) He gets higher wages for them.
(c) He buys drinks for everyone.
(d) He knows how to tell a good joke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
2. Who saves Lizzie from being raped in the alley?
3. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
4. When can Esther leave Scotland?
5. Who pays for Lizzie's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jamissons enter into a conspiracy about the coal that Lizzie cannot know about?
2. Describe Mack's terrifying experience burning off the gas in the mine.
3. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
4. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
5. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
6. What are Mack's plans for leaving Scotland?
7. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
8. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
9. What does Jay's mother tell him about her beginning feelings of hatred for her husband Sir George?
10. How is Mack McAsh introduced in the story?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)