|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
(a) How cold it is.
(b) How dark it is.
(c) The number of women working there.
(d) How quiet it is.
2. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
(a) She needs more time to think about the marriage.
(b) She realizes that the man she really loves is Robert.
(c) Jamisson people have been investigating the coal on Hallim land.
(d) She found out that Jay has been secretly seeing her best friend.
3. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
(a) He sets up a charity for unemployed men.
(b) He buys drinks for everyone.
(c) He knows how to tell a good joke.
(d) He gets higher wages for them.
4. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
5. To what city does Mack escape?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
2. Who is Mack's twin sister?
3. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
4. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
5. Lady Hallim is angry that Lizzie is in love with _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
2. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
3. What is life like for Mack in London?
4. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
5. What is the reason for the contentious nature between Jay and Robert?
6. For what occasion does Lizzie decide to dress as a man in Chapter 14?
7. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
8. What is Mack's first priority after the firedamp alarm sounds?
9. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
10. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)