|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jay tell his father and brother about Mack?
(a) He was wounded in a blast.
(b) He is a trouble maker.
(c) He is leaving the mine.
(d) He is very ill.
2. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
(a) He is always late.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He is a troublemaker.
(d) He is lazy.
3. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
4. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
(a) A stable of horses.
(b) A Scottish country estate.
(c) The Barbados property.
(d) A home in Edinburgh.
5. What is a firedamp?
(a) An appendage on a fireplace.
(b) A wet rag.
(c) A firefighter.
(d) A flammable gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
2. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
3. Who of the following is NOT one of the last three people in the mines?
4. Whom does Annie want to marry?
5. Lady Hallim is angry that Lizzie is in love with _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
2. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
3. How do the Jamissons insure that Mack becomes Jamisson property?
4. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
5. What is Lady Hallim's advice regarding Jay's growing interest in Lizzie?
6. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
7. What topics does Jay need to speak to his father about while in London?
8. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
9. Why does Lizzie call off the wedding?
10. What is life like for Mack in London?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)