|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
(a) He buys drinks for everyone.
(b) He knows how to tell a good joke.
(c) He gets higher wages for them.
(d) He sets up a charity for unemployed men.
2. When can Esther leave Scotland?
(a) When the family house is sold.
(b) When she gets married.
(c) When she finishes her schooling.
(d) When Mack sends money for her.
3. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
(a) To buy cattle.
(b) To buy a wedding ring.
(c) To board a ship.
(d) To have a holiday.
4. What does Lizzie wear to attend the event?
(a) A new ballgown.
(b) A new afternoon frock.
(c) Her engagement gown.
(d) Men's clothing.
5. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
2. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
3. Why can Sir George not give the Barbados plantation to Jay?
4. What does Lizzie see advertised on a flyer while in London?
5. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lizzie learn about Mack's upcoming prize fight?
2. What is the reason Mack and the others talk about organizing a strike?
3. What deal does Lady Alicia try to strike with her husband regarding Jay and his management of the coal on the Hallim land?
4. Which one of the Jamisson sons does Lizzie agree to marry and why?
5. Why have the Jamissons returned to High Glen?
6. What does Mack do that makes the Jamissons wary of him?
7. Why does Mack have to rescue Lizzie after the hanging?
8. What is the content of the Prologue in A PLACE CALLED FREEDOM?
9. How does Mack learn that he is a free man?
10. What makes Lizzie change her mind about going through with the wedding?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)