|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Mack live when he escapes?
2. Whom does Annie want to marry?
3. Who pays for Lizzie's house?
(b) Sir George.
(c) Lady Alicia.
4. What surprising news does Lizzie tell Mack?
(a) His sister has been captured.
(b) He is a free man.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) Annie has married someone else.
5. Who does Jay Jamisson want to kill?
(a) His boss.
(b) His brother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His father.
6. Lizzie dresses as a man to attend a _______________.
(b) Labor union meeting.
(c) Political rally.
(d) Cock fight.
7. Where do Mack and his friend go after the event at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) The pier.
(b) A bar.
(c) A sporting venue.
(d) A dance hall.
8. What does Mack have to do before he can leave the mine?
(a) Bring all the tools out.
(b) Burn off the firedamp.
(c) Shut down all the vents.
(d) Make sure everyone is out.
9. When does Jay's mother say she began to hate her husband?
(a) When he took her away from her village.
(b) When he took a mistress.
(c) When he started to favor Robert.
(d) The first time he beat her.
10. Who accompanies Lizzie to London to meet Jay?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her nanny.
(c) Her maid of honor.
(d) Her mother.
11. Why does Sir George Jamisson want Robert to marry Lizzie?
(a) She is the most beautiful girl in the county.
(b) The Hallim estate is rich in coal.
(c) She will be easily taught how to run the business.
(d) Her family pedigree is fit for his son.
12. Why can Sir George not give the Barbados plantation to Jay?
(a) He had to sell it.
(b) It has been taken over by pirates.
(c) It belongs to Robert.
(d) It has been destroyed by a hurricane.
13. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
14. Who of the following is NOT one of the last three people in the mines?
15. Who is Sir George's wife?
(a) Lady Madeleine.
(b) Lady Elizabeth.
(c) Lady Elaine.
(d) Lady Alicia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lizzie's home?
2. When can Esther leave Scotland?
3. What is Mack doing when Lizzie spots him during a walk?
4. Where is the tobacco plantation located?
5. Why is Lennox upset about Mack?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)