|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Mack find?
(a) Tending bar.
(b) Security guard.
(c) Shoveling coal.
(d) Hospital attendant.
2. What does Jay tell his father and brother about Mack?
(a) He was wounded in a blast.
(b) He is leaving the mine.
(c) He is very ill.
(d) He is a trouble maker.
3. What is High Glen?
(a) A subdivision.
(b) A house.
(c) A bar.
(d) A novel.
4. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
5. What has Sir Jamisson not done to insure miner safety?
(a) Installed ventilation shafts.
(b) Provided oxygen tanks.
(c) Installed oil lights.
(d) Provided good helmets.
6. How old was Mack when he first started working in the mines?
7. In what city is Jay and Lizzie's house located?
8. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
9. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
(a) Iron collar.
(b) Gold brick.
(c) Beer stein.
(d) Lump of coal.
10. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
11. What news does Mack give to Jay?
(a) Annie is dying.
(b) Jay cannot marry Esther.
(c) Mack is quitting the mine.
(d) Mack is marrying Lizzie.
12. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
(a) He is always late.
(b) He is a troublemaker.
(c) He is lazy.
(d) He is Catholic.
13. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
(a) The number of women working there.
(b) How cold it is.
(c) How quiet it is.
(d) How dark it is.
14. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
15. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
(a) He fights Jay.
(b) He cries.
(c) He congratulates Jay.
(d) He shoots himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the Jamissons in the deer hunt?
2. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
3. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. Where do Mack and his friend go after the event at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. What is Jay Jamisson hoping his father will give him as a birthday gift?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)