|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
(a) Her undergarments.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her jewelry.
2. What is a firedamp?
(a) A flammable gas.
(b) An appendage on a fireplace.
(c) A firefighter.
(d) A wet rag.
3. To what city does Mack escape?
4. Where is Mack taken after he is captured?
(a) A cave.
(c) The larder at Jamison Castle.
(d) The dungeon at Jamison Castle.
5. What is the name of the horse given to Jay by his father?
6. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
(d) Sir George.
7. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
(a) Philip Maguire.
(b) Clayton Hall.
(c) Edward Spence.
(d) Caspar Gordonson.
8. When can Esther leave Scotland?
(a) When she gets married.
(b) When Mack sends money for her.
(c) When she finishes her schooling.
(d) When the family house is sold.
9. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
(a) How quiet it is.
(b) How dark it is.
(c) How cold it is.
(d) The number of women working there.
10. What does a man want people to do in support of John Wilkes?
(a) Hang black wreaths on their doors.
(b) Rally on the town square.
(c) Give donations to his family.
(d) Put candles in the windows.
11. What surprising news does Lizzie tell Mack?
(a) Annie has married someone else.
(b) His sister has been captured.
(c) He is a free man.
(d) She is in love with him.
12. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
13. Where is the tobacco plantation located?
(b) North Carolina.
14. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
(a) He buys drinks for everyone.
(b) He sets up a charity for unemployed men.
(c) He knows how to tell a good joke.
(d) He gets higher wages for them.
15. What news does Mack give to Jay?
(a) Annie is dying.
(b) Jay cannot marry Esther.
(c) Mack is quitting the mine.
(d) Mack is marrying Lizzie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mack is offered a job as a/an _____________.
2. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
3. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
4. What does Lizzie wear to attend the event?
5. The Jamissons decide to let Mack ________________.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)