|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mack doing at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Attending a play.
(b) Shoeing a horse.
(c) Courting a girl.
2. What year is inscribed on the iron collar?
3. What has Sir Jamisson not done to insure miner safety?
(a) Provided good helmets.
(b) Provided oxygen tanks.
(c) Installed ventilation shafts.
(d) Installed oil lights.
4. Lizzie dresses as a man to attend a _______________.
(b) Political rally.
(c) Cock fight.
(d) Labor union meeting.
5. Where is the tobacco plantation located?
(c) North Carolina.
6. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
7. What is Jay Jamisson hoping his father will give him as a birthday gift?
(a) A country estate.
(b) A seat on the company's board of directors.
(c) A new stallion.
(d) A sugar plantation in Barbados.
8. What is the last name of the person with whom Mack lives?
9. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) A year and a day.
(d) A month.
10. What is mined in the local mines?
11. What is the last name of Mack and Esther?
12. What surprising news does Lizzie tell Mack?
(a) Annie has married someone else.
(b) His sister has been captured.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) He is a free man.
13. What does Lizzie wear to attend the event?
(a) Men's clothing.
(b) A new afternoon frock.
(c) Her engagement gown.
(d) A new ballgown.
14. What is High Glen?
(a) A bar.
(b) A house.
(c) A novel.
(d) A subdivision.
15. Whom does Annie want to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
2. What is Lizzie's last name?
3. When does Jay's mother say she began to hate her husband?
4. To what city does Mack escape?
5. Where do Mack and his friend go after the event at the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)