|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
2. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT do for Mack?
(a) Ignores his cries for help.
(b) Dries him off.
(c) Pulls him from the water.
(d) Gives him her fur coat.
3. What preoccupies Jay's mind during the deer hunt?
(a) Moving to Edinburgh.
(b) His love for Esther.
(c) Killing his brother.
(d) Marrying Lizzie.
4. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
5. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
(a) She needs more time to think about the marriage.
(b) She realizes that the man she really loves is Robert.
(c) She found out that Jay has been secretly seeing her best friend.
(d) Jamisson people have been investigating the coal on Hallim land.
6. What does Delaney advise Mack to do?
(a) Leave town for a year or two.
(b) Open his own business.
(c) Get a job on a ship.
(d) Go back to school.
7. Where is Mack taken after he is captured?
(a) The dungeon at Jamison Castle.
(b) A cave.
(c) The larder at Jamison Castle.
8. What is Lizzie's last name?
9. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
(a) He fights Jay.
(b) He congratulates Jay.
(c) He cries.
(d) He shoots himself.
10. Where do Mack and his friend go after the event at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) A sporting venue.
(b) A dance hall.
(c) The pier.
(d) A bar.
11. What job does Mack find?
(a) Hospital attendant.
(b) Security guard.
(c) Shoveling coal.
(d) Tending bar.
12. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
13. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
(a) He wants to be his business partner.
(b) Jay owes him money.
(c) He wants to court Lizzie's sister.
(d) He wants to have a drink with him.
14. Which Jamisson boy do the Jamissons hope Lizzie will marry?
15. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
(a) Gold bricks.
(b) A mine.
(c) An estate.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the crowd after the event Lizzie attends?
2. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
3. What has Sir Jamisson not done to insure miner safety?
4. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
5. How is Mack punished on the way to the mines the next day?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)