|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mack's twin sister?
2. What does a man want people to do in support of John Wilkes?
(a) Rally on the town square.
(b) Give donations to his family.
(c) Hang black wreaths on their doors.
(d) Put candles in the windows.
3. The Jamissons decide to let Mack ________________.
(a) Be tortured.
(d) Marry Sara.
4. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
5. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
(a) She goes with Lady Alicia.
(b) She goes with Annie.
(c) She goes alone.
(d) She goes with Jay.
6. Why is Mack so popular among the workers?
(a) He buys drinks for everyone.
(b) He knows how to tell a good joke.
(c) He gets higher wages for them.
(d) He sets up a charity for unemployed men.
7. Jay decides to propose to ______________.
8. Who is Sir George's wife?
(a) Lady Alicia.
(b) Lady Elizabeth.
(c) Lady Elaine.
(d) Lady Madeleine.
9. What job does Mack find?
(a) Security guard.
(b) Tending bar.
(c) Shoveling coal.
(d) Hospital attendant.
10. What news does Mack give to Jay?
(a) Jay cannot marry Esther.
(b) Mack is quitting the mine.
(c) Mack is marrying Lizzie.
(d) Annie is dying.
11. What is Mack doing when Lizzie spots him during a walk?
(a) Crawling through shrubs.
(b) Swimming across the river.
(c) Climbing a tree.
(d) Running across the glen.
12. What surprising news does Lizzie tell Mack?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) Annie has married someone else.
(c) His sister has been captured.
(d) He is a free man.
13. What is mined in the local mines?
14. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
(a) A home in Edinburgh.
(b) A stable of horses.
(c) The Barbados property.
(d) A Scottish country estate.
15. Why does Sir George Jamisson want Robert to marry Lizzie?
(a) She is the most beautiful girl in the county.
(b) Her family pedigree is fit for his son.
(c) She will be easily taught how to run the business.
(d) The Hallim estate is rich in coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mack doing at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
3. What does the owner of High Glen use as a paperweight?
4. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
5. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)