|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Lizzie attend the event advertised in the flyer?
(a) She goes alone.
(b) She goes with Jay.
(c) She goes with Annie.
(d) She goes with Lady Alicia.
2. Sir George says that Mack is a born _______________.
3. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
4. What is a firedamp?
(a) A firefighter.
(b) A wet rag.
(c) An appendage on a fireplace.
(d) A flammable gas.
5. What does Lizzie need to do in order to view the mines?
(a) Cover her face.
(b) Pack a picnic lunch.
(c) Dress like a man.
(d) Get plenty of sleep.
6. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
(a) He is a troublemaker.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He is always late.
(d) He is lazy.
7. What has Sir Jamisson not done to insure miner safety?
(a) Provided good helmets.
(b) Provided oxygen tanks.
(c) Installed ventilation shafts.
(d) Installed oil lights.
8. Who is the man running for Parliament who will support the coal heavers?
(a) James Masterson.
(b) John Wilkes.
(c) David Spence.
(d) Gregory Edmonton.
9. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
(a) He wants to have a drink with him.
(b) He wants to court Lizzie's sister.
(c) Jay owes him money.
(d) He wants to be his business partner.
10. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
(c) Sir George.
11. Why have Lizzie and Jay come to London?
(a) To have dinner.
(b) To buy wedding favors.
(c) To look at a house.
(d) To make honeymoon arrangements.
12. What does Sir George's wife want him to give to Jay as a wedding gift?
(a) A home in Edinburgh.
(b) The Barbados property.
(c) A stable of horses.
(d) A Scottish country estate.
13. What do the Jamissons want from Lizzie's family?
14. With whom does Mack live when he escapes?
15. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) A month.
(d) A year and a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Jay share with his mother?
2. Lizzie dresses as a man to attend a _______________.
3. What does Jay get for his birthday from his father?
4. What is mined in the local mines?
5. Why is Mack going to Edinburgh?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)