|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Mack find?
(a) Tending bar.
(b) Security guard.
(c) Hospital attendant.
(d) Shoveling coal.
2. The Jamissons decide to let Mack ________________.
(a) Marry Sara.
(c) Be tortured.
3. What is a firedamp?
(a) An appendage on a fireplace.
(b) A firefighter.
(c) A wet rag.
(d) A flammable gas.
4. Why does Lizzie want to call off the wedding to Jay?
(a) She needs more time to think about the marriage.
(b) She realizes that the man she really loves is Robert.
(c) Jamisson people have been investigating the coal on Hallim land.
(d) She found out that Jay has been secretly seeing her best friend.
5. How old was Mack when he first started working in the mines?
6. Who of the following is NOT one of the last three people in the mines?
7. Companies will no longer hire Mack because _____________________.
(a) He is lazy.
(b) He is always late.
(c) He is a troublemaker.
(d) He is Catholic.
8. Why does Lennox approach Jay in Chapter 19?
(a) Jay owes him money.
(b) He wants to court Lizzie's sister.
(c) He wants to be his business partner.
(d) He wants to have a drink with him.
9. What does Mack have to do before he can leave the mine?
(a) Bring all the tools out.
(b) Burn off the firedamp.
(c) Make sure everyone is out.
(d) Shut down all the vents.
10. Who is the man running for Parliament who will support the coal heavers?
(a) Gregory Edmonton.
(b) John Wilkes.
(c) James Masterson.
(d) David Spence.
11. What is the last name of Mack and Esther?
12. Who does Jay Jamisson want to kill?
(a) His boss.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His cousin.
13. Where is Mack taken after he is captured?
(a) The dungeon at Jamison Castle.
(b) A cave.
(c) The larder at Jamison Castle.
14. What do two men take from Lizzie in an alley?
(a) Her undergarments.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her clothes.
15. What does a man want people to do in support of John Wilkes?
(a) Put candles in the windows.
(b) Rally on the town square.
(c) Hang black wreaths on their doors.
(d) Give donations to his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
2. Who saves Lizzie from being raped in the alley?
3. What is the name of Lizzie's home?
4. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
5. What year is inscribed on the iron collar?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)