|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert do when Jay tells him that Jay and Lizzie are going to marry?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) He congratulates Jay.
(c) He fights Jay.
(d) He cries.
2. Jay and Lizzie's house is located on __________________.
(a) Pier Street.
(b) Chapel Street.
(c) Ash Street.
(d) Bristol Street.
3. What is Mack doing when Lizzie spots him during a walk?
(a) Crawling through shrubs.
(b) Swimming across the river.
(c) Climbing a tree.
(d) Running across the glen.
4. Who kicks the gun from Jay's hands during the hunt?
(a) Sir George.
5. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) A year and a day.
(b) A month.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six months.
6. What does Lizzie need to do in order to view the mines?
(a) Cover her face.
(b) Dress like a man.
(c) Get plenty of sleep.
(d) Pack a picnic lunch.
7. The letter from the London lawyer states that the miners are to be free at the age of ________________.
8. With whom does Mack live when he escapes?
9. How is Mack punished on the way to the mines the next day?
(a) He must walk naked.
(b) He is dragged behind a horse.
(c) He is whipped.
(d) He must walk backwards.
10. What is Jay Jamisson hoping his father will give him as a birthday gift?
(a) A sugar plantation in Barbados.
(b) A country estate.
(c) A new stallion.
(d) A seat on the company's board of directors.
11. Who is the lawyer whom Mack sees in London?
(a) Clayton Hall.
(b) Edward Spence.
(c) Philip Maguire.
(d) Caspar Gordonson.
12. What has Sir Jamisson not done to insure miner safety?
(a) Installed oil lights.
(b) Installed ventilation shafts.
(c) Provided good helmets.
(d) Provided oxygen tanks.
13. What job does Mack find?
(a) Security guard.
(b) Shoveling coal.
(c) Tending bar.
(d) Hospital attendant.
14. When does Jay's mother say she began to hate her husband?
(a) The first time he beat her.
(b) When he started to favor Robert.
(c) When he took her away from her village.
(d) When he took a mistress.
15. Who does Jay Jamisson want to kill?
(a) His brother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His boss.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man running for Parliament who will support the coal heavers?
2. Who heads up the group who kidnaps Mack?
3. How old was Mack when he first started working in the mines?
4. Lizzie dresses as a man to attend a _______________.
5. Who is the girl that Mack and Dermot rescue in Chapter 15?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)