|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the law, if a man over twenty-one works in the mine for ________________, he becomes the property of the owner.
(a) A month.
(b) A year and a day.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six months.
2. What news does Mack give to Jay?
(a) Jay cannot marry Esther.
(b) Mack is quitting the mine.
(c) Annie is dying.
(d) Mack is marrying Lizzie.
3. Which Jamisson boy do the Jamissons hope Lizzie will marry?
4. What is Jay Jamisson hoping his father will give him as a birthday gift?
(a) A new stallion.
(b) A sugar plantation in Barbados.
(c) A country estate.
(d) A seat on the company's board of directors.
5. Lady Hallim is angry that Lizzie is in love with _________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay tell his father and brother about Mack?
2. What is a firedamp?
3. What surprises Lizzie about the mines?
4. In what country does the novel primarily take place?
5. When can Esther leave Scotland?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)