Prologue, Chapters 1-4
• In the Prologue, the owner of High Glen finds an iron collar with the inscription "1767" and wonders about the story behind it.
• Twins Mack and Esther McAsh walk by High Glen on their way to church where they see Sir George Jamisson arriving before them.
• Mack has worked in the coal mines since the age of seven.
• Lizzie Hallim and her mother are getting ready for church. They know the Jamissons have returned to High Glen in the hopes that Lizzie will marry their older son Robert, the heir to a large fortune.
• Lizzie rides to church with Robert and his younger brotherJay, who reveals that he is interested in moving to the colonies.
• Mack speaks in church decrying the abuse of slavery of the men and women who work in the mines.
• Mack reads a letter from a lawyer stating that the men are...
This section contains 2,776 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)