|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 145, what does Harry say he will no longer do?
2. What can Conor tell about his grandmother on page 117 by looking at her face before she sees the damage he has done?
3. On page 172, why does the monster say that he came?
4. Where does Conor's grandmother go after discovering the damage he did to her house?
5. What is the first thing the monster destroys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liam say that Conor cannot come to live in America?
2. What type of person was the Apothecary?
3. What does Conor's father say about the mess that Conor made at his grandmother's house?
4. Why do Harry's parents decide not to press charges against Conor?
5. What does Conor's mother look like on page 163?
6. How does Conor's grandmother react when she sees the damage Conor has done on page 117?
7. Why does the monster say that he came?
8. On page 122, what does Conor do in the schoolyard?
9. What do Conor and the monster do as the monster begins the third tale on page 146?
10. What does Conor ask the monster at the beginning of "No Tale," and what how does the monster respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conor and his mother seem hopeful when they learn there is a new medicine derived from the yew tree that might help cure the cancer. Is Conor’s mother truly hopeful about the medicine or is she just pretending to be hopeful for Conor’s sake?
Essay Topic 2
The monster shares some contradictions through his stories. What contradictions does the monster reveal, and what do those contradictions reveal about life and human nature?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, readers experience the nightmare that has haunted Conor. What is the nightmare that Conor has been experiencing? What does the nightmare reveal about grief and guilt?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)