|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of paths are at Conor's grandmother's house?
2. How far of a drive is it from Conor's grandmother's house to his school?
3. When was the last time that Conor's father came to see him?
4. What were houses made of in the tree's first story?
5. What does Conor trip on after the tree tells its first story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Conor hope the monster would do for him instead of just tell stories?
2. On page 50, how does Conor feel when the nightmare feeling rises in him?
3. What is Conor's assignment for English on page 23?
4. On page 44, why does Conor think he will have trouble sleeping?
5. How long has Conor known Lily and what has their relationship been like?
6. Why is Conor's grandmother different from other grandmothers?
7. What does Conor do after eating breakfast?
8. On page 52, what was the area where Conor lives like a long time ago?
9. Why does Conor have to make his own breakfast on page 10?
10. What is the yard like at Conor's grandmother's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a note Lily writes to Conor, she tells him that she can see him. What does Lily mean when she says that she can see Conor, and why is that so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Conor feels isolated and alone. Why does Conor feel isolated and alone, and how does his mother’s illness contribute to those feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Conor’s father lives in America, and they keep in touch through infrequent phone calls. How would you describe the relationship that Conor has with his father, and why they are not closer?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)