|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week is it on page 80?
2. How many times has Conor's mother told him that the tree in the graveyard is a yew tree?
3. On page 44, how long has it been since Conor's mother's last treatment?
4. What type of hair does Lily have?
5. How long does Connor remember that it took to saw the sapling out of the floor in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. On page 28, why has Conor's evening been slow?
2. What does Conor do after eating breakfast?
3. What did Conor hope the monster would do for him instead of just tell stories?
4. In page 24, how does Conor remember the day before he learned that his mother had cancer?
5. What is the yard like at Conor's grandmother's house?
6. What does Miss Kwan say to Conor after the other boys go inside the school on pages 72-73?
7. On page 16, when and why does Conor's mother say that Conor's grandmother is coming to stay?
8. What does the monster say that he and Conor will do?
9. Why does Conor have to make his own breakfast on page 10?
10. What is Conor's assignment for English on page 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conor has conflicting emotions regarding his mother’s impending death. Why does Conor feel both sadness and relief, and how does he learn to balance these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
The monster shares some contradictions through his stories. What contradictions does the monster reveal, and what do those contradictions reveal about life and human nature?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, readers experience the nightmare that has haunted Conor. What is the nightmare that Conor has been experiencing? What does the nightmare reveal about grief and guilt?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)