Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tony's new partner?
2. Who is Mr. Todd?
3. How many trips has Tony made in his life?
4. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
5. What is Brenda trying to get?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Tony Last with John Beaver.
2. Compare and contrast Brenda Last as she really is with whom Tony Last believes she is.
3. Discuss the roles of Jock Grant-Menzies, Mrs. Beaver, Marjorie, Dr. Messinger and Mr. Todd in the lives of the two major characters, Brenda and Tony Last. Is everyone of these secondary characters vital to the novel? Are any of them a foil to one of the major characters?
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
One of the major themes of A HANDFUL OF DUST is that of the differences among different classes in 1930's England. When the book opens, we meet Mrs. Beaver and her son John, who though they once lived in luxury, now get by through Mrs. Beaver's foray into the mundane middle class of making a living. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss the idea of "class" as it exists in this novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text and a definition of class.
2. Compare and contrast the life of upper-class England with that of either the middle class or lower class (i.e., the servants) as it exists in the novel. What is the upper class attitude towards earning a living? The middle class? The lower class? Which class seems the most practical? The most idealistic?
3. Discuss the following question: What is more of a barrier among people: class, education, religion or gender? Explain your reasoning fully using examples both from the text and your own life experiences.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)