|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up going with Dr. Messinger and Tony?
2. To what sound does Tony awaken?
3. With whom does Tony stay for a few weeks?
4. What does Tony do in a weak moment?
5. What would Brenda's increased demands mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
2. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
3. How does Tony finally take some of his own personal power back and take charge of his destiny?
4. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
5. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
6. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
7. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
8. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
9. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
10. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men in A HANDFUL OF DUST often seem to get the bad end of the stick from the women in their lives. Some say that Waugh's somewhat compassionate treatment of Brenda and other women in his other novels who have "strayed" is a reflection of his own life. Discuss the following:
1. How does Waugh portray the relationship between men and women in A HANDFUL OF DUST?
2. Do you think Waugh's portrayal is accurate? How much of his portrayal of how the women treat the men may be a reflection of his personal experience? (This may require a little research).
3. Are there any women in the text who are portrayed admirably? Who? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
A HANDFUL OF DUST takes its title from a T.S. Eliot poem titled "The Wasteland." Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss the similar themes that are jointly present in "The Wasteland" and A Handful of Dust.
2. Compare and contrast the use of a poem versus a novel to express similar ideas.
3. Discuss why both Eliot and Waugh, who wrote in the same era, would be interested in the same social themes.
Essay Topic 3
Some readers and/or critics might say that A HANDFUL OF DUST contains some elements of a dark comedy. Discuss the following giving specific examples:
1. Define dark comedy and give some examples of works of dark comedy in literature and/or film.
2. Discuss several scenes from A HANDFUL OF DUST that might contain elements of a dark comedy.
3. Why do you think Waugh incorporates elements of dark comedy into this work?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)