Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tony's new partner?
2. Who is Mr. Todd?
3. How many trips has Tony made in his life?
4. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
5. What is Brenda trying to get?
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of A HANDFUL OF DUST is that of the differences among different classes in 1930's England. When the book opens, we meet Mrs. Beaver and her son John, who though they once lived in luxury, now get by through Mrs. Beaver's foray into the mundane middle class of making a living. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss the idea of "class" as it exists in this novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text and a definition of class.
2. Compare and contrast the life of upper-class England with that of either the middle class or lower class (i.e., the servants) as it exists in the novel. What is the upper class attitude towards earning a living? The middle class? The lower class? Which class seems the most practical? The most idealistic?
3. Discuss the following question: What is more of a barrier among people: class, education, religion or gender? Explain your reasoning fully using examples both from the text and your own life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Some readers and/or critics might say that A HANDFUL OF DUST contains some elements of a dark comedy. Discuss the following giving specific examples:
1. Define dark comedy and give some examples of works of dark comedy in literature and/or film.
2. Discuss several scenes from A HANDFUL OF DUST that might contain elements of a dark comedy.
3. Why do you think Waugh incorporates elements of dark comedy into this work?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part One," the rooms of Hetton Abbey are named after characters in the story of King Arthur. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss fully the legend of King Arthur.
2. Discuss how the legend of King Arthur and A Handful of Dust are similar and why.
3. Discuss how A Handful of Dust and the legend of King Arthur are different and why.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)