|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tony doing in the wake of Brenda's request to end their marriage?
2. What does Rosa say when Tony talks to her about going further on?
3. Who is Mr. Todd?
4. What does Tony miss while he is drugged?
5. Why is Jock appalled at Brenda's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
2. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
3. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
4. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
5. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
6. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
7. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
8. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
9. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
10. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often the people hurt the most in a situation like that of Tony and Brenda's is a child. John Andrew plays a pivotal role in the melodrama of Brenda's descent into selfishness. Discuss the following:
1. Compare the relationship between John Andrew and each of his parents.
2. How does the relationship between John Andrew and his parents (individually) change over the course of the story?
3. How does John Andrew tip the scales in Brenda's decision to reveal all to Tony? Do you think she is genuinely grieved about her son's death or glad for an opportunity for "total freedom"?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of foreshadowing throughout this story. Discuss the following:
1. How is Brenda's affair with John Beaver foreshadowed? Give examples.
2. How is John Andrew's death foreshadowed? Give examples.
3. Do you think Tony becoming lost in the jungle "forever" is foreshadowed? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. Do you think the author's use of foreshadowing is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One person is seldom to blame when adultery comes into a marriage. Discuss the following:
1. What factors push Brenda into adultery? Give examples.
2. What is Tony's part in why Brenda chooses to be unfaithful? Should he accept part of the blame? Give examples.
3. Do you think the way Tony treats Brenda after her request for a divorce is fair and honorable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)