|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosa?
2. Who does Tony engage to start the divorce proceedings?
3. How is Tony?
4. What propels Tony to start a dialog with Brenda?
5. Where does Tony meet his traveling companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
2. What happens after Brenda has written Tony and telling him about John Beaver?
3. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
4. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
5. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
6. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
7. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
8. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
9. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
10. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Divorce in that era of England is not a simple matter. There are ways one has to "jump through hoops" in order to get a divorce. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss what Tony has to do in order to effect an honorable divorce from Brenda. What do you think of his methods?
2. Compare and contrast the divorce proceedings of the time in the novel with the 21st century America. Which seems to be a better method? Do both ways have their good points? Pitfalls?
3. How does Brenda's greed in the divorce and throughout the story end up causing her to have nothing? Is this just desserts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Waugh offers an alternate ending in his serialization of A HANDFUL OF DUST in an American magazine. In that ending, Tony returns to England, is reunited with Brenda, moves into her flat and begins a series of affairs himself. Discuss the following:
1. Which ending to the novel do you think is closer to reality? Why?
2. Which ending is a more honorable one for Tony? Why?
3. Do you think Brenda would have welcomed Tony back and then stayed with it despite his affairs? Explain your reasoning using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Evelyn Waugh is known for his social satires, A HANDFUL OF DUST being one of his most well-known. Discuss the following:
1. What is a social satire? Give other examples besides A Handful of Dust.
2. Discuss why A Handful of Dust is considered a social satire. Give specific examples to support your ideas.
3. Discuss how effective A HANDFUL OF DUST is as a social satire.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)