|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Messinger hope to find now?
2. Who does Jock find at Jenny's flat?
3. What is Brenda trying to get?
4. What does Tony decide?
5. How does Mrs. Rattery try to distract Tony while waiting for Jock and Brenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
2. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
3. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
4. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
5. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
6. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
7. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
8. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
9. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part Three," Brenda is just taking the first steps on the road to adultery. Discuss the following:
1. Is it obvious yet that Brenda consciously intends to develop her curiosity of John Beaver into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
2. Is it obvious yet that John consciously intends to develop his flirtation with Brenda into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
3. What is similar about these two characters that puts them on the path to having an affair? Could either have stopped this becoming an affair, or is the dye already cast by this early chapter?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of foreshadowing throughout this story. Discuss the following:
1. How is Brenda's affair with John Beaver foreshadowed? Give examples.
2. How is John Andrew's death foreshadowed? Give examples.
3. Do you think Tony becoming lost in the jungle "forever" is foreshadowed? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. Do you think the author's use of foreshadowing is effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)