|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jenny interpret John's death?
2. After the family meeting, where does one of Brenda's brothers go?
3. What annoys Tony the most when Milly arrives?
4. What is hard for Tony?
5. What does Tony do in a weak moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
2. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
3. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
4. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
5. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
6. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
7. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
8. How does Tony finally take some of his own personal power back and take charge of his destiny?
9. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
10. What happens after Brenda has written Tony and telling him about John Beaver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A HANDFUL OF DUST takes its title from a T.S. Eliot poem titled "The Wasteland." Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss the similar themes that are jointly present in "The Wasteland" and A Handful of Dust.
2. Compare and contrast the use of a poem versus a novel to express similar ideas.
3. Discuss why both Eliot and Waugh, who wrote in the same era, would be interested in the same social themes.
Essay Topic 2
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part One," the rooms of Hetton Abbey are named after characters in the story of King Arthur. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss fully the legend of King Arthur.
2. Discuss how the legend of King Arthur and A Handful of Dust are similar and why.
3. Discuss how A Handful of Dust and the legend of King Arthur are different and why.
This section contains 1,582 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)