|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony decide?
2. Where are Tony and Milly going?
3. What are the legal ramifications of John Andrew's death?
4. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
5. How does Jenny interpret John's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
2. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
3. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
4. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
5. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
6. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
7. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
9. What happens after Brenda has written Tony and telling him about John Beaver?
10. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers and/or critics might say that A HANDFUL OF DUST contains some elements of a dark comedy. Discuss the following giving specific examples:
1. Define dark comedy and give some examples of works of dark comedy in literature and/or film.
2. Discuss several scenes from A HANDFUL OF DUST that might contain elements of a dark comedy.
3. Why do you think Waugh incorporates elements of dark comedy into this work?
Essay Topic 2
One person is seldom to blame when adultery comes into a marriage. Discuss the following:
1. What factors push Brenda into adultery? Give examples.
2. What is Tony's part in why Brenda chooses to be unfaithful? Should he accept part of the blame? Give examples.
3. Do you think the way Tony treats Brenda after her request for a divorce is fair and honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evelyn Waugh is known for his social satires, A HANDFUL OF DUST being one of his most well-known. Discuss the following:
1. What is a social satire? Give other examples besides A Handful of Dust.
2. Discuss why A Handful of Dust is considered a social satire. Give specific examples to support your ideas.
3. Discuss how effective A HANDFUL OF DUST is as a social satire.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)