|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony decide?
2. How does Mrs. Rattery try to distract Tony while waiting for Jock and Brenda?
3. What does Rosa say when Tony talks to her about going further on?
4. Who nurses Tony back to health?
5. Why is Jock appalled at Brenda's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
2. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
3. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
4. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
5. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
6. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
7. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
9. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
10. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Evelyn Waugh is known for his social satires, A HANDFUL OF DUST being one of his most well-known. Discuss the following:
1. What is a social satire? Give other examples besides A Handful of Dust.
2. Discuss why A Handful of Dust is considered a social satire. Give specific examples to support your ideas.
3. Discuss how effective A HANDFUL OF DUST is as a social satire.
Essay Topic 3
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)