Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tony's new partner?
2. Who is Mr. Todd?
3. How many trips has Tony made in his life?
4. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
5. What is Brenda trying to get?
Essay Topic 1
Divorce in that era of England is not a simple matter. There are ways one has to "jump through hoops" in order to get a divorce. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss what Tony has to do in order to effect an honorable divorce from Brenda. What do you think of his methods?
2. Compare and contrast the divorce proceedings of the time in the novel with the 21st century America. Which seems to be a better method? Do both ways have their good points? Pitfalls?
3. How does Brenda's greed in the divorce and throughout the story end up causing her to have nothing? Is this just desserts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The men in A HANDFUL OF DUST often seem to get the bad end of the stick from the women in their lives. Some say that Waugh's somewhat compassionate treatment of Brenda and other women in his other novels who have "strayed" is a reflection of his own life. Discuss the following:
1. How does Waugh portray the relationship between men and women in A HANDFUL OF DUST?
2. Do you think Waugh's portrayal is accurate? How much of his portrayal of how the women treat the men may be a reflection of his personal experience? (This may require a little research).
3. Are there any women in the text who are portrayed admirably? Who? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of themes in this story, one of which has already been discussed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes (other than that of class) and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)