|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Mr. Todd become evasive?
2. What is wrong with Tony?
3. What does Tony decide?
4. What does Tony do in a weak moment?
5. What are the legal ramifications of John Andrew's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
2. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
3. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
4. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
5. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
6. How does Tony finally take some of his own personal power back and take charge of his destiny?
7. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
8. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
9. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
10. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One person is seldom to blame when adultery comes into a marriage. Discuss the following:
1. What factors push Brenda into adultery? Give examples.
2. What is Tony's part in why Brenda chooses to be unfaithful? Should he accept part of the blame? Give examples.
3. Do you think the way Tony treats Brenda after her request for a divorce is fair and honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part Three," Brenda is just taking the first steps on the road to adultery. Discuss the following:
1. Is it obvious yet that Brenda consciously intends to develop her curiosity of John Beaver into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
2. Is it obvious yet that John consciously intends to develop his flirtation with Brenda into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
3. What is similar about these two characters that puts them on the path to having an affair? Could either have stopped this becoming an affair, or is the dye already cast by this early chapter?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)