|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jock appalled at Brenda's response?
2. Where is Tony and Messinger's second base camp?
3. What does Mrs. Beaver encourage John to do?
4. What would Brenda's increased demands mean?
5. What does Jock tell Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
2. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
3. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
4. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
5. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
6. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
7. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
8. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
9. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
10. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evelyn Waugh is known for his social satires, A HANDFUL OF DUST being one of his most well-known. Discuss the following:
1. What is a social satire? Give other examples besides A Handful of Dust.
2. Discuss why A Handful of Dust is considered a social satire. Give specific examples to support your ideas.
3. Discuss how effective A HANDFUL OF DUST is as a social satire.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Tony Last with John Beaver.
2. Compare and contrast Brenda Last as she really is with whom Tony Last believes she is.
3. Discuss the roles of Jock Grant-Menzies, Mrs. Beaver, Marjorie, Dr. Messinger and Mr. Todd in the lives of the two major characters, Brenda and Tony Last. Is everyone of these secondary characters vital to the novel? Are any of them a foil to one of the major characters?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)