|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives first at the meeting point for Tony and Milly?
2. Why does the young woman become unfriendly to Tony?
3. What does Rosa say when Tony talks to her about going further on?
4. What does Tony decide?
5. What does Mrs. Beaver encourage John to do?
Essay Topic 1
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Divorce in that era of England is not a simple matter. There are ways one has to "jump through hoops" in order to get a divorce. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss what Tony has to do in order to effect an honorable divorce from Brenda. What do you think of his methods?
2. Compare and contrast the divorce proceedings of the time in the novel with the 21st century America. Which seems to be a better method? Do both ways have their good points? Pitfalls?
3. How does Brenda's greed in the divorce and throughout the story end up causing her to have nothing? Is this just desserts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Waugh offers an alternate ending in his serialization of A HANDFUL OF DUST in an American magazine. In that ending, Tony returns to England, is reunited with Brenda, moves into her flat and begins a series of affairs himself. Discuss the following:
1. Which ending to the novel do you think is closer to reality? Why?
2. Which ending is a more honorable one for Tony? Why?
3. Do you think Brenda would have welcomed Tony back and then stayed with it despite his affairs? Explain your reasoning using examples from the text.
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)