|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strikes terror into Rosa's people?
2. How is Tony?
3. What does Brenda ask about Tony's trip?
4. Who is Mr. Todd?
5. How much is Brenda now requesting as a settlement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
2. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
3. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
4. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
5. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
6. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
7. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
8. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
9. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
10. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part One," the rooms of Hetton Abbey are named after characters in the story of King Arthur. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Discuss fully the legend of King Arthur.
2. Discuss how the legend of King Arthur and A Handful of Dust are similar and why.
3. Discuss how A Handful of Dust and the legend of King Arthur are different and why.
Essay Topic 3
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)