|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony slip to the man who visits the camp?
2. What young woman does Tony meet?
3. After the family meeting, where does one of Brenda's brothers go?
4. What is hard for Tony?
5. Why does Jock apologize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tony have to appear to be in the wrong?
2. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
3. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
4. What happens after Brenda has written Tony and telling him about John Beaver?
5. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
6. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
7. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
8. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
9. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
10. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evelyn Waugh is known for his social satires, A HANDFUL OF DUST being one of his most well-known. Discuss the following:
1. What is a social satire? Give other examples besides A Handful of Dust.
2. Discuss why A Handful of Dust is considered a social satire. Give specific examples to support your ideas.
3. Discuss how effective A HANDFUL OF DUST is as a social satire.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
Essay Topic 3
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)