|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does John receive a phone call?
2. What annoys Tony about the three women who join Brenda at the estate?
3. What is nice about the Brat's Club for men like John?
4. Who has tea with Brenda and Polly?
5. Who entertains John while Tony is out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
2. What occurs in this chapter to demonstrate how far Brenda has sunken into self deceit?
3. Why is Beaver annoyed at Polly's party, but why does he put up with his annoyance?
4. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
6. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
7. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
8. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
9. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
10. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of themes in this story, one of which has already been discussed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes (other than that of class) and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
Essay Topic 3
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)