|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John planning to spend the weekend?
2. Where does John next encounter Brenda?
3. How does Marjorie feel about John Beaver?
4. When Brenda finally communicates with Tony, what does she tell him?
5. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demonstrates how very widespread the knowledge about Brenda's affair is and how much it is a topic of conversation?
2. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
3. How is John Beaver's social standing improving through his affair with Brenda?
4. What do you think of John Beaver's attempts to remain connected to the upper class by angling for invitations to various events.
5. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
6. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
7. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
8. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
9. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
10. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One person is seldom to blame when adultery comes into a marriage. Discuss the following:
1. What factors push Brenda into adultery? Give examples.
2. What is Tony's part in why Brenda chooses to be unfaithful? Should he accept part of the blame? Give examples.
3. Do you think the way Tony treats Brenda after her request for a divorce is fair and honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The men in A HANDFUL OF DUST often seem to get the bad end of the stick from the women in their lives. Some say that Waugh's somewhat compassionate treatment of Brenda and other women in his other novels who have "strayed" is a reflection of his own life. Discuss the following:
1. How does Waugh portray the relationship between men and women in A HANDFUL OF DUST?
2. Do you think Waugh's portrayal is accurate? How much of his portrayal of how the women treat the men may be a reflection of his personal experience? (This may require a little research).
3. Are there any women in the text who are portrayed admirably? Who? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)