|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is anxiously awaiting Brenda's arrival back at Hetton?
2. What happens to John Andew?
3. To where does Tony invite John Andrew?
4. What opinion does John offer about Brenda?
5. How does Marjorie feel about John Beaver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
2. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
3. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
4. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
5. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
6. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
7. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
8. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
9. How is the last part of this chapter a transitional chapter for Brenda and Tony's relationship?
10. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
One person is seldom to blame when adultery comes into a marriage. Discuss the following:
1. What factors push Brenda into adultery? Give examples.
2. What is Tony's part in why Brenda chooses to be unfaithful? Should he accept part of the blame? Give examples.
3. Do you think the way Tony treats Brenda after her request for a divorce is fair and honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of themes in this story, one of which has already been discussed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes (other than that of class) and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)