|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tony invite to Hetton?
2. Who believes the Abbey exhibits poor taste?
3. Where does Brenda stay during the weekdays?
4. Why does Brenda wish Tony wanted to go to the party?
5. What do Tony and John do after lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that a class is a good enough reason to miss the beginning of an annual, traditional event at Hetton as Brenda does?
2. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
3. What are a couple of the reactions to Brenda seeing John Beaver?
4. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
5. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
6. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
7. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
8. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
9. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
10. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several chapters named "Hard Cheese on Tony." Discuss the following:
1. What does the phrase "Hard Cheese on..." mean? (This may require a little research).
2. Do you believe all the unfortunate things that happen to Tony is solely bad luck? Why or why not?
3. Discuss two examples of when Tony creates his own bad luck. How could he have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 2, "English Gothic: Part Three," Brenda is just taking the first steps on the road to adultery. Discuss the following:
1. Is it obvious yet that Brenda consciously intends to develop her curiosity of John Beaver into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
2. Is it obvious yet that John consciously intends to develop his flirtation with Brenda into a full-blown affair? Why or why not?
3. What is similar about these two characters that puts them on the path to having an affair? Could either have stopped this becoming an affair, or is the dye already cast by this early chapter?
Essay Topic 3
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)