|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Tony and Jock decide to go?
2. About what does Tony talk to Jock?
3. How does Mrs. Rattery look as she emerges from the plane?
4. Why does Brenda meet with Mrs. Beaver?
5. How often is Brenda communicating with Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
2. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
3. How is John Beaver's social standing improving through his affair with Brenda?
4. What do you think of John Beaver's attempts to remain connected to the upper class by angling for invitations to various events.
5. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
6. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
7. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
8. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
9. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
10. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of themes in this story, one of which has already been discussed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes (other than that of class) and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
Essay Topic 3
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in A HANDFUL OF DUST. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbols of Hetton Place as it relates to Tony's ideals and beliefs.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)