|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Brenda give Tony for bringing along her friends?
2. Who must Brenda consult about the rental?
3. To whom is Mrs. Beaver speaking?
4. Why does Brenda send Jenny Abdul Akbar ahead to Hetton?
5. Where does Brenda stay during the weekdays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
3. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
4. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
5. How is it that John Andrew gets caught in the middle of the problems between his parents?
6. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
7. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
8. How does Tony demonstrate his willingness to accommodate Brenda's friends and what is their attitude towards Tony?
9. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
10. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony: Part Seven," Brenda sends Tony a letter telling him about her affair with John and asking to end their marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Brenda would be so cruel as to write Tony just a couple days after the death of their son?
2. Do you think Brenda ever loved Tony? Why or why not? Give examples.
3. What would be your response if someone did something like what Brenda does in writing Tony so soon after the death of their son?
Essay Topic 2
In , Chapter 3, "Hard Cheese on Tony , Part 1," Tony encounters Jock at the Brat's Club. At first Jock feels a little awkward with Tony, since everyone knows about Brenda's affair with John Beaver. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wrong of Jock to know something so important to Tony's life and not tell him? Why or why not?
2. Where are there other examples in the text when Brenda's affair is being discussed? Give examples and analyze the motives of the characters and morality of the situation.
3. Do you think Brenda not saying anything sooner is motivated out of compassion or greed? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In most relationships, each person is getting something out of the relationship, whether or not the relationship seems good. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think John Beaver is getting out of his affair with Brenda, especially considering he does not seem to particularly like Brenda.
2. What do you think Brenda is getting out of his affair with John, especially considering she does not seem to particularly find John all that interesting.
3. What is Tony getting out of the marriage with Brenda after she begins staying in London for great lengths of time?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)