|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Tony?
(a) He is going blind.
(b) He has broken his leg.
(c) He is despondent.
(d) He has a fever that keeps recurring.
2. Where is Jenny going?
(a) To Polly Cockpurse's where Brenda is.
(b) To France.
(c) To Wales.
(d) To the theater.
3. About what does Mr. Todd become evasive?
(a) How Messinger dies.
(b) Who Mr. Todd really is.
(c) Helping Tony leave.
(d) Why he is there.
4. What do Tony and Messinger do?
(a) Beat each other up in a quarrel.
(b) Give up.
(c) Turn back.
(d) Travel downstream alone.
5. Who ends up going with Dr. Messinger and Tony?
(a) A group of the villagers.
(c) Ten men.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jenny interpret John's death?
2. What are the legal ramifications of John Andrew's death?
3. After the family meeting, where does one of Brenda's brothers go?
4. What is Brenda trying to get?
5. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
2. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
3. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
4. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
5. What happens after Brenda has written Tony and telling him about John Beaver?
6. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
7. How does Tony finally take some of his own personal power back and take charge of his destiny?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
9. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
10. How does Tony manage to survive in the jungle?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)