|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jock find at Jenny's flat?
(a) John Beaver.
(c) Princess Jenny Abdul Akbar.
(d) No one.
2. About what does Mr. Todd become evasive?
(a) Why he is there.
(b) How Messinger dies.
(c) Helping Tony leave.
(d) Who Mr. Todd really is.
3. About what do the detectives warn Tony?
(a) To make sure he is careful with his wallet.
(b) About Milly's bad temper.
(c) About the child spoiling the appearance of infidelity.
(d) That if Brenda sees him, she will have an even better chance of getting a great deal of money.
4. What do Tony and Messinger do?
(a) Travel downstream alone.
(b) Beat each other up in a quarrel.
(c) Turn back.
(d) Give up.
5. Why is Jock appalled at Brenda's response?
(a) Because Brenda seems relieved that it is her son John Andrew who is dead, not John Beaver.
(b) Because Brenda doesn't seem at all affected.
(c) Because Brenda says that it serves Tony right.
(d) Because Brenda blames Tony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls a family meeting of Brenda's family?
2. What surprises Tony?
3. What strikes terror into Rosa's people?
4. How many trips has Tony made in his life?
5. What does Rosa say when Tony talks to her about going further on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
2. What are the indications that Tony may still be plagued by a "curse" or bad luck?
3. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
4. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
5. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
6. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
7. How has Tony again entrusted his life to someone for whom that trust is not valid?
8. How long is it before Tony and Messinger are able to talk to the men of the village about what they want?
9. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)