|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What letter does Tony receive from Brenda on Monday?
(a) A confession and a request for ending the marriage.
(b) A accusation for not taking better care of John Andrew.
(c) A plea for reconciliation.
(d) A suicide letter.
2. Where is Milly going to meet Tony?
(a) At a place called Victoria.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Amsterdam.
(d) In Paris.
3. What rumor is Brenda spreading about Tony?
(a) That he is an an alcoholic and had an affair with Jenny Abdul Akbar.
(b) That he beat her.
(c) That he beat up John Beaver.
(d) That he had a live-in mistress.
4. What does Tony miss while he is drugged?
(b) The arrival and departure of a search party.
(c) The marriage of Mr. Todd and a village woman.
(d) A letter from Brenda.
5. Why does the young woman become unfriendly to Tony?
(a) When he says something that indicates his prejudice.
(b) When he mentions Brenda.
(c) When he makes a move on her.
(d) She does not become unfriendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tony engage to start the divorce proceedings?
2. Who is Mr. Todd?
3. What happens when Tony and Messinger awaken?
4. How does Tony feel during his travels upstream in a small boat.
5. Who ends up going with Dr. Messinger and Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Tony seems to be the "bad" guy in a number of ways?
2. How is the inadequacies of the social circle in which Brenda revolves evident with the death of John Andrew?
3. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
4. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
5. What is the symbolic significance of the first book that Tony reads?
6. How does Reggie present the situation about Brenda to Tony?
7. What do Messigner and Tony decide to do and do you think they make the best choice?
8. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
9. What is rather ironic about how divorce is treated in this era?
10. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)