|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brenda fool John Beaver?
(a) That she is infatuated with him.
(b) That she is wealthy.
(c) That she is not married.
(d) Into thinking he is in charge of the situation between him and Brenda.
2. Who has come to the station to meet Tony?
(c) John Beaver.
(d) John Andrew.
3. What annoys Tony about the three women who join Brenda at the estate?
(a) They treat John Andrew like a baby.
(b) They drink wine with breakfast.
(c) They giggle all the time.
(d) They criticize parts of the decor and architecture of the estate.
4. Where is Brenda meeting Marjorie later?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At Polly's party.
(c) At the opera.
(d) At Marjorie's home.
5. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
(a) By boat.
(b) By rail.
(c) By a plane she pilots herself.
(d) By horseback.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brenda reply to Tony when he asks if he is invited?
2. When was Hetton Abbey rebuilt?
3. What does John tell his mother as to why he won't see Brenda anymore?
4. How do the Christmas holidays go at Hetton?
5. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brenda propose to Tony and why do you think he agrees?
2. How is the ending, though tragic for some of the characters, is redeeming at the same time?
3. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
4. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
5. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
6. Do you think that a class is a good enough reason to miss the beginning of an annual, traditional event at Hetton as Brenda does?
7. How does Brenda take the news of her son's death?
8. How has John Beaver fared through the saga of Tony and Brenda's failed marriage?
9. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
10. How is it that John Andrew gets caught in the middle of the problems between his parents?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)