|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is anxiously awaiting Brenda's arrival back at Hetton?
(a) No one.
(b) The cook who wants to discuss refreshments for an upcoming party.
(c) Tony and John Andrew.
(d) Brenda's valet.
2. Who has tea with Brenda and Polly?
(c) John Andrew.
3. What do Tony and John do after lunch?
(a) Take a tour of the house.
(b) Play cricket with some other men.
(c) Smoke cigars and drink whiskey.
(d) Have a round of golf.
4. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
(a) By rail.
(b) By horseback.
(c) By a plane she pilots herself.
(d) By boat.
5. When was Hetton Abbey rebuilt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony feel guilty the next day?
2. Why is John annoyed with Brenda?
3. In what style was the Abbey rebuilt?
4. What does Brenda invite John to do?
5. Who comes to a small get together that Brenda arranges?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
2. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
3. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
4. Is it likely that John Beaver at this point is not really interested in pursuing something with Brenda Last?
5. Why is Beaver annoyed at Polly's party, but why does he put up with his annoyance?
6. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
7. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
8. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
9. What occurs in this chapter to demonstrate how far Brenda has sunken into self deceit?
10. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)