|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is particularly taken with Jenny?
(a) Tony once he gets to know her.
(c) John Beaver.
(d) John Andrew.
2. What does Brenda suggest to Tony?
(a) That John needs them to help him regain his social status.
(b) That Tony is being a little harsh on poor John.
(c) That they put John up in the worst room of the house.
(d) That John may prove to be quite entertaining.
3. What does John tell his mother as to why he won't see Brenda anymore?
(a) She despises him.
(b) She insulted him at the party.
(c) She costs too much to entertain.
(d) She is married.
4. Why does Brenda wish Tony wanted to go to the party?
(a) She wants to become more involved with Charity groups and wants Tony to make some contacts among the upper class men.
(b) She does not want to go and wishes Tony would go and represent their family.
(c) She wants to show off her handsome husband.
(d) She does not want to go alone.
5. How do the Christmas holidays go at Hetton?
(a) They are the usual traditions.
(b) The Last family traditionally do not celebrate the Christmas holidays.
(c) Tony and Brenda refind their love during the season.
(d) Tony and Brenda fight and decide to split.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to delight in spreading gossip about Brenda?
2. What does Tony decide to do?
3. Who calls and leaves a message for Tony but will not speak to him?
4. What happens to John Andew?
5. Who is Allan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony demonstrate his willingness to accommodate Brenda's friends and what is their attitude towards Tony?
2. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
3. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
4. Is it likely that John Beaver at this point is not really interested in pursuing something with Brenda Last?
5. Why is Beaver annoyed at Polly's party, but why does he put up with his annoyance?
6. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
7. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
8. What does Brenda propose to Tony and why do you think he agrees?
9. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
10. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)