|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tony invite to Hetton?
(b) John Beaver.
(c) No one.
2. What does Tony tell his kitchen staff?
(a) That the food has been excellent and to keep up the good work.
(b) That they are to take a vacation.
(c) That he no longer wants an evening meal.
(d) That he will take his meals in the library when Brenda is out of town.
3. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
(a) James says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(b) The cook says she cannot be ready for the formal luncheon without more staff.
(c) John Beaver says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(d) Jock says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
4. Why does John initially decline Brenda's request that he escort her to a party?
(a) It will be expensive.
(b) He is not invited.
(c) It will be boring.
(d) He is not of their social standing.
5. How does Brenda fool John Beaver?
(a) That she is infatuated with him.
(b) That she is not married.
(c) Into thinking he is in charge of the situation between him and Brenda.
(d) That she is wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tony feel around Jenny?
2. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
3. Where is Hetton Abbey?
4. How do others feel about John at the party?
5. Who believes the Abbey exhibits poor taste?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
2. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
3. Why is Beaver annoyed at Polly's party, but why does he put up with his annoyance?
4. What does Brenda propose to Tony and why do you think he agrees?
5. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
6. How is the last part of this chapter a transitional chapter for Brenda and Tony's relationship?
7. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
8. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
9. Describe John Andrew's death.
10. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)