|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lifts Brenda's spirits?
(a) She is pregnant again.
(b) Tony is especially loving that night.
(c) John calls her and says he can't stop thinking of her.
(d) John calls her back and accepts her invitation.
2. From whom does John receive a phone call?
(a) Lady Morganthau.
(b) The Duchess of Wales.
(c) Lord Lasterly.
(d) Lady Tipping.
3. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
(a) By a plane she pilots herself.
(b) By rail.
(c) By horseback.
(d) By boat.
4. Why does Tony lash out at his son?
(a) Because he starts crying for his mama.
(b) Because he says he hates Tony.
(c) Because he is disappointed at not seeing Brenda.
(d) Because he spills milk on the table.
5. How does Brenda put off Tony's attentions later that night?
(a) Says she is too far along in her pregnancy.
(b) Says she promised John Andrew he could stay in with her.
(c) Claims that Tony does not really love her.
(d) Claims of fatigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marjorie solicit of Jock?
2. Where does Brenda stay during the weekdays?
3. In spite of what is John at home when Brenda comes to meet with his mother?
4. How does John remain connected to the upper class?
5. Where is John planning to spend the weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
3. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
4. What demonstrates how very widespread the knowledge about Brenda's affair is and how much it is a topic of conversation?
5. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
6. What do you think of John Beaver's attempts to remain connected to the upper class by angling for invitations to various events.
7. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
8. How does it seem the women and men of the upper social class are portrayed in this chapter?
9. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
10. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)