|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
(a) To make his wife breakfast.
(b) To drive John to London.
(c) To take his son to the circus.
(d) To see off John.
2. Of what does Brenda convince Tony?
(a) The idea of renting a flat in London.
(b) The idea of her and their son
(c) The idea of remodeling her bedroom.
(d) That John Andrew should go to boarding school.
3. Why does Tony lash out at his son?
(a) Because he spills milk on the table.
(b) Because he says he hates Tony.
(c) Because he starts crying for his mama.
(d) Because he is disappointed at not seeing Brenda.
4. How often is Brenda communicating with Tony?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Several times a week.
(d) Every day.
5. Where is Brenda meeting Marjorie later?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At the opera.
(c) At Marjorie's home.
(d) At Polly's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
2. What does Tony decide to do?
3. Who comes to a small get together that Brenda arranges?
4. What does Tony learn that he finds annoying?
5. Who has tea with Brenda and Polly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the last part of this chapter a transitional chapter for Brenda and Tony's relationship?
2. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
3. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
4. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
5. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
6. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
7. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
8. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
9. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
10. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)