|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beaver no longer have a luxurious lifestyle?
(a) She has an affair and her husband divorces her.
(b) Her husband dies.
(c) She decides to give it up to help the poor.
(d) She is too much of a spendthrift.
2. What event is Brenda going to miss at Hetton?
(a) The annual polo tournament.
(b) The annual charity ball.
(c) The annual hunt.
(d) John Andrew's birthday.
3. What does Brenda wonder about her visit with Mrs. Beaver?
(a) If Mrs. Beaver will consent to come to Marjorie's house for the meeting.
(b) If John lives in the same household as his mother.
(c) If John will be there.
(d) If Mrs. Beaver knows her trade.
4. What happens to cause Thunderclap to bolt?
(a) A dog barks at it.
(b) A horsefly gets under the saddle.
(c) Miss Tendril's niece puts her bike in neutral and the bike backfires.
(d) A snake bites it.
5. Who must Brenda consult about the rental?
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony feel guilty the next day?
2. What reason does Brenda give Tony for bringing along her friends?
3. What does John tell his mother as to why he won't see Brenda anymore?
4. From whom does John receive a phone call?
5. Who is John Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
2. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
3. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
4. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
5. Describe Jock's date for the hunt weekend.
6. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
7. What demonstrates how very widespread the knowledge about Brenda's affair is and how much it is a topic of conversation?
8. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
9. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
10. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)