|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Mrs. Beaver brag?
(a) Her business success.
(b) Her daughter's upcoming marriage to a Duke.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her fashion design abilities.
2. What event is Brenda going to miss at Hetton?
(a) The annual hunt.
(b) John Andrew's birthday.
(c) The annual polo tournament.
(d) The annual charity ball.
3. Who seems to delight in spreading gossip about Brenda?
(c) Mrs. Beaver.
4. What reason does Brenda give Tony for bringing along her friends?
(a) To help them get away from the stress of London.
(c) To get their opinion on redecorating.
(d) To hope Tony becomes interested in one of the women.
5. Who has come to the station to meet Tony?
(a) John Andrew.
(b) John Beaver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tony invite to Hetton?
2. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
3. Why does John initially decline Brenda's request that he escort her to a party?
4. What kind of hints does Brenda make to Marjorie?
5. What does Brenda invite John to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
2. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
3. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
4. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
5. What occurs in this chapter to demonstrate how far Brenda has sunken into self deceit?
6. Describe Jock's date for the hunt weekend.
7. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
8. Do you think that a class is a good enough reason to miss the beginning of an annual, traditional event at Hetton as Brenda does?
9. How is John Beaver's social standing improving through his affair with Brenda?
10. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)