|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brenda wonder about her visit with Mrs. Beaver?
(a) If Mrs. Beaver knows her trade.
(b) If Mrs. Beaver will consent to come to Marjorie's house for the meeting.
(c) If John lives in the same household as his mother.
(d) If John will be there.
2. Why is John disappointed with the phone call?
(a) He was hoping to meet Lady Morganthau's daughter.
(b) He is not invited to a luncheon he was hoping to go to.
(c) He is told he should find other friends.
(d) He is not invited to the opera as he was expecting.
3. Who is particularly taken with Jenny?
(a) John Andrew.
(b) Tony once he gets to know her.
(c) John Beaver.
4. What event is Brenda going to miss at Hetton?
(a) The annual hunt.
(b) The annual charity ball.
(c) John Andrew's birthday.
(d) The annual polo tournament.
5. What does Brenda invite John to do?
(a) To come hear the village's barbershop quartet.
(b) To stay another night.
(c) To go to the opera in London next time she is there.
(d) To meet her best friend who lives in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Mrs. Beaver speaking?
2. With what is the London social scene buzzing?
3. Who seems to delight in spreading gossip about Brenda?
4. To whom is Jenny once married?
5. Who is anxiously awaiting Brenda's arrival back at Hetton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
2. What are several things revealed about Jenny Abdul Akbar?
3. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
4. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
5. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
6. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
7. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
8. What do you think of John Beaver's attempts to remain connected to the upper class by angling for invitations to various events.
9. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
10. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)