|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what party specifically do Brenda and Marjorie speak?
(a) Polly Cracker's party.
(b) No party in particular.
(c) Polly Cockpurse's upcoming party.
(d) Pauline Cockell's party.
2. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
(a) To take his son to the circus.
(b) To see off John.
(c) To make his wife breakfast.
(d) To drive John to London.
3. What annoys Tony about the three women who join Brenda at the estate?
(a) They treat John Andrew like a baby.
(b) They drink wine with breakfast.
(c) They giggle all the time.
(d) They criticize parts of the decor and architecture of the estate.
4. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
(a) James says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(b) John Beaver says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(c) Jock says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(d) The cook says she cannot be ready for the formal luncheon without more staff.
5. How does Mrs. Rattery look as she emerges from the plane?
(a) A short, petite matronly type.
(b) A no-nonsense kind of nanny.
(c) A busty showgirl type.
(d) A tall woman in overalls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to delight in spreading gossip about Brenda?
2. What happens to cause Thunderclap to bolt?
3. What is John Andrew doing?
4. From whom does John receive a phone call?
5. In spite of what is John at home when Brenda comes to meet with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
3. Describe John Andrew's death.
4. What are a couple of the reactions to Brenda seeing John Beaver?
5. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
6. How does it seem the women and men of the upper social class are portrayed in this chapter?
7. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
8. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
9. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
10. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)