|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of what is John at home when Brenda comes to meet with his mother?
(a) A tournament at the Brat's Club.
(b) A polo match.
(c) A chess tournament at the Fieldings Club.
(d) Two invitations.
2. When was Hetton Abbey rebuilt?
3. To whom is Jenny once married?
(a) The Prince of Morocco.
(b) The Sultan of India.
(c) The Prince of Ethiopia.
(d) The Sultan of Constantinople.
4. Who calls and leaves a message for Tony but will not speak to him?
(d) Mrs. Beaver.
5. What is Mrs. Beaver's response to John deciding not to see Brenda anymore?
(a) She has no opinion about the matter.
(b) She encourages him to think otherwise.
(c) She is happy because Brenda is married.
(d) She is angry because he is only thinking of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
2. Where does Tony end up after the get together?
3. Why does Mrs. Beaver no longer have a luxurious lifestyle?
4. Who wants to know how to find Jock Grant-Menzies?
5. How does Marjorie feel about John Beaver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
2. What is Tony's position in Brenda's social circle by the end of this chapter?
3. What seems to be contrasted in this chapter?
4. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
5. Why do you think Tony decides to go away for awhile?
6. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
7. How does it seem the women and men of the upper social class are portrayed in this chapter?
8. How is the ending, though tragic for some of the characters, is redeeming at the same time?
9. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
10. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)