|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beaver no longer have a luxurious lifestyle?
(a) She is too much of a spendthrift.
(b) She decides to give it up to help the poor.
(c) She has an affair and her husband divorces her.
(d) Her husband dies.
2. To where does Tony invite John Andrew?
(a) Little Bayton.
(b) A Wee Bright Wagon.
(c) To a polo match.
(d) Little Sussex.
3. To whom is Mrs. Beaver speaking?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her son, John.
(d) Her daughter.
4. About what party specifically do Brenda and Marjorie speak?
(a) Polly Cockpurse's upcoming party.
(b) Polly Cracker's party.
(c) Pauline Cockell's party.
(d) No party in particular.
5. When does Tony expect Brenda to be back at Hetton?
(a) On Friday.
(b) Not for several weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brenda invite John to do?
2. Who does Tony invite to the hunt?
3. How does Marjorie feel about John Beaver?
4. Who is anxiously awaiting Brenda's arrival back at Hetton?
5. About what does Mrs. Beaver brag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Andrew's death.
2. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
3. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
4. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
5. How does it seem the women and men of the upper social class are portrayed in this chapter?
6. How is it obvious that though Brenda thinks she is in control of the relationship between her and Beaver, he actually probably has more control over it?
7. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
8. How does it seem that Brenda has absolutely no concern for Tony nor for her own reputation?
9. What does Brenda propose to Tony and why do you think he agrees?
10. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)