|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tony lash out at his son?
(a) Because he starts crying for his mama.
(b) Because he is disappointed at not seeing Brenda.
(c) Because he spills milk on the table.
(d) Because he says he hates Tony.
2. What is John Andrew doing?
(a) Pruning the roses.
(b) Jumping with his pony.
(c) Visiting Brenda.
(d) Visiting Tony.
3. How do the Christmas holidays go at Hetton?
(a) Tony and Brenda refind their love during the season.
(b) They are the usual traditions.
(c) The Last family traditionally do not celebrate the Christmas holidays.
(d) Tony and Brenda fight and decide to split.
4. Who wants to know how to find Jock Grant-Menzies?
(a) Lady Tipping.
(b) Lord Last.
(c) John's mother.
(d) No one.
5. What does Allan do?
(a) He manages a large department store.
(b) He is a labor leader and political candidate.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He lives off an inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brenda do at Polly's party?
2. What kind of hints does Brenda make to Marjorie?
3. Why is John annoyed with Brenda?
4. Who believes the Abbey exhibits poor taste?
5. How does Brenda confront John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
2. Describe John Andrew's death.
3. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
4. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
5. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
6. How is it obvious that though Brenda thinks she is in control of the relationship between her and Beaver, he actually probably has more control over it?
7. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
8. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
9. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
10. What is likely foreshadowed at the beginning of this chapter?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)