|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before Brenda returns to Hetton again?
(a) A day.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
2. How does Brenda fool John Beaver?
(a) That she is wealthy.
(b) That she is not married.
(c) That she is infatuated with him.
(d) Into thinking he is in charge of the situation between him and Brenda.
3. Who has tea with Brenda and Polly?
(d) John Andrew.
4. Who calls and leaves a message for Tony but will not speak to him?
(c) Mrs. Beaver.
5. Why does Brenda send Jenny Abdul Akbar ahead to Hetton?
(a) All three women come to the estate together.
(b) Brenda is hoping to catch Tony in a compromising position.
(c) So maybe Tony will feel attracted to her.
(d) Because she can get away from London sooner that the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jenny's official title?
2. What is John Beaver's career status?
3. What does Brenda reply to Tony when he asks if he is invited?
4. Who believes the Abbey exhibits poor taste?
5. Why is Tony annoyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
2. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
3. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
4. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
5. How is the last part of this chapter a transitional chapter for Brenda and Tony's relationship?
6. What demonstrates how very widespread the knowledge about Brenda's affair is and how much it is a topic of conversation?
7. What do you think of John Beaver's attempts to remain connected to the upper class by angling for invitations to various events.
8. What happens in this chapter that indicates Brenda's lack of devotion as a mother?
9. What can you infer about the Beaver household from the information in Chapter 1?
10. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)