|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John Andrew refuse Tony's invitation?
(a) He misses his mother.
(b) He has decided the place if for babies.
(c) He is still angry from the time when he meets Tony at the train station.
(d) He is tired.
2. Who does Tony invite to the hunt?
(d) Marjorie's brother.
3. Of what does Brenda convince Tony?
(a) The idea of remodeling her bedroom.
(b) The idea of her and their son
(c) That John Andrew should go to boarding school.
(d) The idea of renting a flat in London.
4. Where does John encounter Tony?
(a) At the Brat's Club.
(b) At the London opera.
(c) At Marjorie's home.
(d) At Hetton Abbey.
5. What is Jenny's response to the house?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks it needs total revamping.
(c) She has no particular opinion.
(d) She abhors it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Beaver's response to John deciding not to see Brenda anymore?
2. What happens to John Andew?
3. Who is particularly taken with Jenny?
4. What does Marjorie solicit of Jock?
5. Where is John planning to spend the weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
2. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
3. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
4. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
5. What are a couple of the reactions to Brenda seeing John Beaver?
6. Describe John Andrew's death.
7. How is the last part of this chapter a transitional chapter for Brenda and Tony's relationship?
8. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
9. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
10. What occurs in this chapter to demonstrate how far Brenda has sunken into self deceit?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)