|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John learn when he returns home from the club?
(a) His has been invited to the luncheon.
(b) His wife is divorcing him.
(c) His mother is leaving to give a show in the States.
(d) His son is very ill.
2. To whom is Mrs. Beaver speaking?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her son, John.
3. Who has tea with Brenda and Polly?
(a) John Andrew.
4. How does Tony feel around Jenny?
5. What does Tony learn that he finds annoying?
(a) That John has met his wife at several other parties.
(b) That John smokes cigarettes at the table.
(c) That John has escorted Brenda to several parties.
(d) That Brenda rents the flat from Mrs. Beaver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Brenda staying?
2. When does Tony expect Brenda to be back at Hetton?
3. Where is Angela's home that Tony and Brenda visit?
4. When Brenda finally communicates with Tony, what does she tell him?
5. How does Mrs. Rattery arrive at Hetton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it obvious that though Brenda thinks she is in control of the relationship between her and Beaver, he actually probably has more control over it?
2. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
3. How is it that John Andrew gets caught in the middle of the problems between his parents?
4. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
5. How does John Andrew's behavior demonstrate that he is indeed being affected by the disruption of the household?
6. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
7. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
8. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
9. How does Tony demonstrate his willingness to accommodate Brenda's friends and what is their attitude towards Tony?
10. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)