|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brenda do to finish the weekend?
(a) Talks to Tony about John.
(b) Plans a soriee and talks to the cook about the arrangements.
(c) Goes to confession.
(d) Goes to church with Tony and John Andrew.
2. Where does Brenda stay during the weekdays?
(a) Mostly at Hetton, but one day of the week in London.
(b) At Hetton.
(c) Split between London and Hetton.
(d) In London.
3. Where is Brenda staying?
(a) In a motel in London.
(b) At Marjorie's home.
(c) At her sister's home.
(d) At her parents' home.
4. How does Mrs. Rattery look as she emerges from the plane?
(a) A tall woman in overalls.
(b) A busty showgirl type.
(c) A no-nonsense kind of nanny.
(d) A short, petite matronly type.
5. What does Brenda say in a note to Tony?
(a) That she is not returning to Hetton.
(b) That she has important news for him.
(c) That she will be there on Saturday rather than Friday.
(d) That she is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hetton Abbey?
2. What does John learn when he returns home from the club?
3. How does Brenda do at Polly's party?
4. Who calls and leaves a message for Tony but will not speak to him?
5. What does Allan do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demonstrates the possibility that Brenda is already planning a divorce?
2. Is it likely that John Beaver at this point is not really interested in pursuing something with Brenda Last?
3. Describe John Andrew's death.
4. How are the rooms of Hetton symbolic?
5. How is it obvious that though Brenda thinks she is in control of the relationship between her and Beaver, he actually probably has more control over it?
6. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
7. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
8. What demonstrates Tony's inadvertent complicity in Brenda's new life and affair with another man?
9. How does it seem Mrs. Beaver is manipulating something between Brenda and John Beaver?
10. What does Brenda propose to Tony and why do you think he agrees?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)