|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has come to the station to meet Tony?
(c) John Beaver.
(d) John Andrew.
2. What is John Beaver's age?
3. Why does John initially decline Brenda's request that he escort her to a party?
(a) He is not of their social standing.
(b) It will be expensive.
(c) He is not invited.
(d) It will be boring.
4. Why does Tony lash out at his son?
(a) Because he says he hates Tony.
(b) Because he spills milk on the table.
(c) Because he is disappointed at not seeing Brenda.
(d) Because he starts crying for his mama.
5. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
(a) James says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(b) John Beaver says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(c) The cook says she cannot be ready for the formal luncheon without more staff.
(d) Jock says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony call and awaken Brenda?
2. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
3. Who is Allan?
4. Where is John planning to spend the weekend?
5. Why is John annoyed with Brenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
2. How does Brenda use the death of her son to justify her request for a divorce?
3. Briefly discuss the setting of Hetton Abbey.
4. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
5. How would you characterize John Beaver's idea of a relationship with a woman (including Brenda)?
6. Who has moved into Hetton Abbey?
7. What demonstrates how very widespread the knowledge about Brenda's affair is and how much it is a topic of conversation?
8. What do you think is a theme that is introduced in this first chapter?
9. What seems most important to Tony as he lies possibly dying and alone?
10. What demonstrates that Tony is trying to regain emotional intimacy with Brenda?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)