|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion does John offer about Brenda?
(a) That she is confused.
(b) That she is a whore.
(c) That she is heartless.
(d) That she will become bored of John before any harm is done.
2. When does Tony expect Brenda to be back at Hetton?
(a) Not for several weeks.
(b) On Friday.
3. Who believes the Abbey exhibits poor taste?
(a) The Duke of Yorkton.
(b) The Abbey curator.
(c) No one.
(d) Most of the Last family members.
4. Why is Tony disappointed about a note he receives?
(a) The cook says she cannot be ready for the formal luncheon without more staff.
(b) John Beaver says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(c) James says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
(d) Jock says he cannot make it to Hetton that weekend.
5. Why does Tony get up earlier than usual the next morning?
(a) To make his wife breakfast.
(b) To drive John to London.
(c) To see off John.
(d) To take his son to the circus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jenny's official title?
2. How does Brenda confront John?
3. Who does Tony invite to the hunt?
4. What is Jenny's response to the house?
5. What lifts Brenda's spirits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of "struggle" seems to be going on between Brenda and John Beaver?
2. How does it seem the women and men of the upper social class are portrayed in this chapter?
3. Why do you think Tony is unconcerned with Brenda spending time in London with her old social circle?
4. What do you think about Jock's behavior towards his friend, Tony?
5. How is John Beaver's social standing improving through his affair with Brenda?
6. What does Tony find annoying and why do you think he put himself in the situation?
7. Do you think John Beaver knows what the upper class people with whom he wants to associate think of him?
8. What does Brenda do the rest of the weekend at Hetton and why do you think she does those things?
9. Give a brief description of the Last family members.
10. What two messages does Tony receive that are disappointing to Tony?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)