|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
(a) Mrs. Rattery.
(c) His sister.
2. Who does Tony engage to start the divorce proceedings?
(a) Some seedy lawyers.
(b) No one; he's going to take care of it himself.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His family's loyal retainer.
3. What does Tony decide?
(a) To give her the increased amount.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To go away for six months.
(d) To kill Brenda.
4. Why does the young woman become unfriendly to Tony?
(a) When he mentions Brenda.
(b) When he makes a move on her.
(c) When he says something that indicates his prejudice.
(d) She does not become unfriendly.
5. How does Mrs. Rattery try to distract Tony while waiting for Jock and Brenda?
(a) By asking him about John Andew.
(b) By asking for a tour of the home.
(c) By drinking with him.
(d) With a card game.
6. How does Jenny interpret John's death?
(a) As a result of a curse Jenny carries.
(b) As the only way Brenda will come to her senses.
(c) As an omen of bad things still to come.
(d) As a tragedy to just Tony.
7. Why is Jock appalled at Brenda's response?
(a) Because Brenda seems relieved that it is her son John Andrew who is dead, not John Beaver.
(b) Because Brenda blames Tony.
(c) Because Brenda says that it serves Tony right.
(d) Because Brenda doesn't seem at all affected.
8. How many trips has Tony made in his life?
(a) 10 or so.
9. Who nurses Tony back to health?
(a) The Pie Wie tribe.
(b) Dr. Messinger.
(c) Mr. Todd.
(d) No one; he recovers on his own.
10. What rumor is Brenda spreading about Tony?
(a) That he had a live-in mistress.
(b) That he beat her.
(c) That he beat up John Beaver.
(d) That he is an an alcoholic and had an affair with Jenny Abdul Akbar.
11. Where is Jenny going?
(a) To France.
(b) To Wales.
(c) To Polly Cockpurse's where Brenda is.
(d) To the theater.
12. What do Tony and Messinger do?
(a) Turn back.
(b) Travel downstream alone.
(c) Beat each other up in a quarrel.
(d) Give up.
13. What does Messinger decide to do?
(a) Leave Tony on the shore and go for help.
(b) Desert Tony.
(c) Start a large fire to try to find someone.
(d) Give Tony a merciful death.
14. About what do the detectives warn Tony?
(a) That if Brenda sees him, she will have an even better chance of getting a great deal of money.
(b) To make sure he is careful with his wallet.
(c) About the child spoiling the appearance of infidelity.
(d) About Milly's bad temper.
15. What does Tony miss while he is drugged?
(a) The marriage of Mr. Todd and a village woman.
(b) The arrival and departure of a search party.
(c) A letter from Brenda.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosa?
2. What happens when Tony and Messinger awaken?
3. Why does Tony have to prove his infidelity?
4. How is Tony?
5. Where does Tony meet his traveling companion?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)