|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor is Brenda spreading about Tony?
(a) That he beat her.
(b) That he had a live-in mistress.
(c) That he is an an alcoholic and had an affair with Jenny Abdul Akbar.
(d) That he beat up John Beaver.
2. What does Messinger hope to find now?
(a) A way back to the Macushi.
(b) The city of gold.
(c) The Pie Wie tribe.
(d) Medical help for Tony.
3. Where does Tony meet his traveling companion?
(a) The theater.
(b) At a party at Jock's home.
(c) The London Museum.
(d) The Greville Club.
4. What propels Tony to start a dialog with Brenda?
(a) A letter from John Beaver.
(b) His grief about John Andrew.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) A letter from Jock.
5. Of whom does Tony not see much before she leaves?
(b) His sister.
(c) Mrs. Rattery.
6. How is Tony doing in the wake of Brenda's request to end their marriage?
(a) He is relieved it is finally over.
(b) He is very angry and is contemplating killing her.
(c) He believes she will change her mind, so is not thinking about it.
(d) He is having a hard time.
7. Why does the young woman become unfriendly to Tony?
(a) When he says something that indicates his prejudice.
(b) When he makes a move on her.
(c) When he mentions Brenda.
(d) She does not become unfriendly.
8. How is Tony?
(a) The Pie Wie tribe is caring for him.
(b) He is still weak, but is looking for Messinger.
(c) He is hallucinating.
(d) He is better and starting the hike back.
9. How much is Brenda now requesting as a settlement?
(a) 300 a year.
(b) 2000 a year.
(c) 10,000 a year.
(d) 1000 a year.
10. What is wrong with Tony?
(a) He has broken his leg.
(b) He is going blind.
(c) He is despondent.
(d) He has a fever that keeps recurring.
11. Who is Mr. Todd?
(a) A frog that John Andew used to have.
(b) A man Tony hallucinates into being.
(c) The lawyer for Tony's estate.
(d) A man who has lived in the city called Amazonas for sixty years.
12. Where is Tony at the opening to this chapter?
(a) Back at Hetton.
(b) On a boat to Trinidad.
(c) On a luxury cruise liner in the Mediterranean.
(d) In Paris.
13. What does Tony slip to the man who visits the camp?
(a) A piece of paper with his name on it.
(b) His watch.
(d) A hundred pound note.
14. To what sound does Tony awaken?
(a) To screams from the camp guides.
(b) To native drums.
(c) To the snarl of a leopard.
(d) To Messinger treating a wound from a vampire bat.
15. What does John Beaver ask his mother?
(a) If Brenda can live with her.
(b) If she has a job for Brenda.
(c) If she will buy him tickets to go to South America.
(d) If she can get Brenda to leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up going with Dr. Messinger and Tony?
2. What are the legal ramifications of John Andrew's death?
3. What does Mrs. Beaver encourage John to do?
4. What does Tony decide?
5. Why does Jock apologize?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)