|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Enguerrange III known for?
2. What resulted from the depopulation of Europe during the plague?
3. How did the 14th century begin?
4. How did Sir Robert Knollys avoid being condemned for breaking the treaty with France?
5. How many people can the castle of Coucy house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What technology affects the living arrangements in the 14th century?
2. How does the plague affect Europe's economy and society?
3. How are the Jews treated in 14th-century France?
4. What is the status of knights, and what is the state of military combat in 14th-century France?
5. What is the relationship between the church and science in 14th-century France?
6. List the first Lords of Coucy.
7. What is the state of trade in 14th-century France?
8. What is the relation of the king to the nobles?
9. How is love practiced in 14th-century France?
10. What was the relationship between the church and the Knights Templar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tuchman describes a number of ways that societies in the fourteenth century disposed of superfluous people, in wars, in plagues, in the Inquisition. Analyze these squanderings, and describe the value society placed on human life in the fourteenth century. Why couldn't society find uses for these "extras"? Why were warfare and the Inquisition the best ways to dispose of them? Did anyone try to put the masses to better uses? What was the state of technology, that there were so many extra people? What was the state of agricultural production, to feed so many people?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Enguerrand's life a representative life for the times? In what ways was it not? Who else's life might have been more representative of the times?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of women in 14th-century France? Analyze the role of women in French and English culture.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)