|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Jacquerie choose as their leader?
2. What did people believe about the plague?
3. What did Jean II do immediately upon taking the throne of France?
4. How did Sir Robert Knollys avoid being condemned for breaking the treaty with France?
5. How did the church make money in the beginning of the 14th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the first Lords of Coucy.
2. Describe Chaucer's visit to France.
3. How is love practiced in 14th-century France?
4. How are women seen in 14th-century France?
5. What is the state of trade in 14th-century France?
6. Describe the castle at Coucy.
7. How do people explain the presence of the Black Plague?
8. What technology affects the living arrangements in the 14th century?
9. Describe Jean II's captivity in England.
10. What is the relationship between the king and the church in 14th-century France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tuchman describes a number of ways that societies in the fourteenth century disposed of superfluous people, in wars, in plagues, in the Inquisition. Analyze these squanderings, and describe the value society placed on human life in the fourteenth century. Why couldn't society find uses for these "extras"? Why were warfare and the Inquisition the best ways to dispose of them? Did anyone try to put the masses to better uses? What was the state of technology, that there were so many extra people? What was the state of agricultural production, to feed so many people?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of women in 14th-century France? Analyze the role of women in French and English culture.
Essay Topic 3
Italy was hardly ever at war with England or France, but the Italian region was often in turmoil and affected French politics. What was the role of Italy in French and English politics, and how was Italy act its role? What marriage, battles, uprising and policies in Italy affected France and England? Analyze and describe the role of Italian and Vatican politics in France and England.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)