|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which figures in the church offered believers solace?
2. What new technology became a metaphor for an organized universe?
3. When would a child learn combat?
4. Where are young women taught?
5. How many people died of the black plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the castle at Coucy.
2. What is the relationship between the classes like in 14th-century France?
3. Who are the Pastoreaux?
4. Describe Jean II's ascent to the throne and his war with the English.
5. What is the relationship between the king and the church in 14th-century France?
6. Describe Chaucer's visit to France.
7. What is the status of knights, and what is the state of military combat in 14th-century France?
8. Describe Jean II's captivity in England.
9. How do people explain the presence of the Black Plague?
10. What was the relationship between the church and the Knights Templar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the gap between rich and poor in the fourteenth century and the gap between rich and poor now. How are our times different from the fourteenth century's? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
How mobile were people in the fourteenth century? Enguerrand fought wars from England to Tunis, but how many people enjoyed this degree of mobility? Is the idea of a small town local life in the fourteenth century a myth, or was it the reality for a large portion of the people?
Essay Topic 3
Peasant uprisings were a perennial problem in Europe. Why were peasants unhappy, and what did they gain by rioting? Did the peasant rebellions contribute to an improvement of the peasants' situation, or did the nature of feudalism change for other reasons?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)