|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jean II face an English invasion?
2. Who led the Third Estate of Paris while Jean II was a captive of the English?
3. How did the church resist dissolution for its excesses?
4. What did the Jacquerie hold in May of 1358?
5. What happened to the church during the plague years in the 14th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the church and science in 14th-century France?
2. Describe the role and status of the church in 14th-century France.
3. How is love practiced in 14th-century France?
4. What is the relationship between the rich and poor in 14th-century France?
5. Describe Chaucer's visit to France.
6. What is the relationship between the king and the church in 14th-century France?
7. How do people explain the presence of the Black Plague?
8. How are taxes collected in Coucy?
9. What is the state of trade in 14th-century France?
10. Describe the castle at Coucy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How mobile were people in the fourteenth century? Enguerrand fought wars from England to Tunis, but how many people enjoyed this degree of mobility? Is the idea of a small town local life in the fourteenth century a myth, or was it the reality for a large portion of the people?
Essay Topic 2
What was Clisson's role in the French monarchy? Describe his temperament and his effect on French society and military policy. What does Clisson show us about the people who interacted with him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role corruption played in the church and in the government in the fourteenth century. How did the nobles or clergy get away with being so corrupt? What factors allowed the corruption to persist for so long? Use your answer to characterize fourteenth century society.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)