|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the church during the plague years in the 14th century?
(a) It became more inclusive in order to maintain congregations.
(b) It gained authority as people died, and the church took their lands.
(c) It gained adherents as people sought explanations.
(d) It lost its authority because it could not stop the plague.
2. What did the Third Estate accomplish while Jean II was a captive of the English?
(a) They killed Jean II's son.
(b) They gained control over the monarchy.
(c) They signed the Magna Carta.
(d) They conquered Calais and bordering lands.
3. How many people can the castle of Coucy house?
(a) Five thousand.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Two hundred fifty.
(d) A thousand.
4. Why were music and medicine lumped together in the 14th century?
(a) They both aimed to harmonize the body.
(b) They both drew on the same spirits.
(c) They both used resonance to heal.
(d) They both relied on mystical intervals of sound and tone.
5. How did the black plague affect the animals of Europe?
(a) They died from eating diseased bodies.
(b) Their populations thrived with all the bodies to eat.
(c) They vacated the continent until the plague had passed.
(d) They entered into people's homes looking for safe food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was uncultivated land used when there weren't farmers to farm it?
2. What did Jean II do immediately upon taking the throne of France?
3. When would a child learn combat?
4. How are the wealthy different from the poor in the age they marry?
5. What resulted from the depopulation of Europe during the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the rich and poor in 14th-century France?
2. What is the state of trade in 14th-century France?
3. What is the relationship between the classes like in 14th-century France?
4. How is love practiced in 14th-century France?
5. What is the relation of the king to the nobles?
6. What is the relationship between the church and science in 14th-century France?
7. What is the relationship between the military and money?
8. How do people try to protect themselves from the plague?
9. What does Dauphin Charles ordain during Jean II's captivity?
10. How are women seen in 14th-century France?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)