|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was King Edward's daughter promised to when she was nineteen?
(a) A propertied landowner.
(b) A propertied landowner's son.
(c) A wealthy merchant's son.
(d) A nobleman's youngest son.
2. What did the commoners do when King Charles died?
3. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) King Charles.
(b) The Black Knight.
(c) The Green Count.
(d) Pope Gregory XI.
4. What territories did Enguerrand want to acquire?
5. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A brigand commander.
(b) An English lawyer.
(c) A famous pirate.
(d) A French landowner.
6. What does Anjou offer in return for safe passage back to France?
(a) The Loire Valley.
7. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
(a) A share in the Milanese's businesses.
(b) An estate in the country above Milan.
(c) Marriage to an illegitimate daughter of Visconti's.
(d) Promises of money.
8. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(b) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(c) Plotting to poison the king.
(d) Plotting to overthrow the king.
9. What did Coucy do in 1368?
(a) Coucy granted freedom to 22 towns.
(b) Coucy levied high taxes on his people to pay to be rid of the army passing through.
(c) Coucy returned to England for Enguerrand's marriage.
(d) Coucy marched with an army to Spain.
10. The papacy after Gregory was disputed between whom?
(a) Clement and Charles.
(b) Urban and Clement.
(d) Gregory and Urban.
11. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
(a) Making peace.
(b) Extending his territory.
(c) Paying back his debts.
(d) Winning his wars.
12. How did the French try to take the Saracens' city?
(a) By deceit.
(b) By force.
(c) By trade.
(d) By siege.
13. How do the Saracens propose to settle the conflict with France?
(a) In full warfare.
(b) By siege.
(c) They want ten men from each side to fight.
(d) In single combat.
14. What responsibility did Coucy assume when King Charles died?
(a) He became England's embassador to France.
(b) He commanded the forces at Picardy.
(c) He was charged with capturing Hawkwood.
(d) He assumed responsibility for Coucy.
15. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Two months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ten months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
2. Whom does Enguerrard recommend when Charles nominates him for Constable?
3. Who was the first child of Kind Edward and Queen Philippa?
4. When did Enguerrand marry Isabelle?
5. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)