|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ruled Italy after the fall of the Roman Empire?
(a) King Charles.
(d) The French.
2. How long does a serf have to work on his master's land to be freed?
(a) One year.
(b) Six years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Six months.
3. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As a holy obligation.
(b) As a crusade.
(c) As an inquisition.
(d) As a conquest.
4. How were the English forces paid during their campaign in France?
(a) In land on returning home.
(b) In women and slaves.
(c) In Spanish gold.
(d) In pillage.
5. When does Gregory return to Rome?
6. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
7. How do the Saracens propose to settle the conflict with France?
(a) By siege.
(b) They want ten men from each side to fight.
(c) In single combat.
(d) In full warfare.
8. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
9. How many guests turned out to welcome Roman Emperor Charles IV?
10. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(b) Plotting to overthrow the king.
(c) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(d) Plotting to poison the king.
11. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(b) He brokered peace between England and France.
(c) His power went to his head.
(d) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
12. How many times was King Edward's first daughter promised in marriage?
13. Under what condition was sex permitted in the mid-fourteenth century?
14. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
(a) By giving away all her possessions to the poor.
(b) By keeping herself in a constant state of discomfort.
(c) By praying incessantly.
(d) By copying the bible into foreign languages.
15. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) It was treated openly in poems.
(b) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
(c) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
(d) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
2. What did the Black Prince order his people to do in Limoges?
3. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
4. What does Anjou offer in return for safe passage back to France?
5. What did Anjou ask for before his death?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)