|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did King Edward's daughter decide on her way to her wedding?
(a) Not to get married.
(b) To become a nun.
(c) To become a poetess.
(d) To run away.
2. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
(a) Charles IV.
(c) Robert of Geneva.
3. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
(a) He pleads neutrality.
(b) He fights for England.
(c) He fights for France.
(d) He fights for England and hires a replacement to fight for France.
4. What had King Charles promised on his deathbed?
(a) That the people would get to vote.
(b) That the monarchy would be dissolved.
(c) That armies would be disbanded.
(d) That taxes would not be collected.
5. How did the French try to take the Saracens' city?
(a) By deceit.
(b) By siege.
(c) By trade.
(d) By force.
6. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A French landowner.
(b) A famous pirate.
(c) A brigand commander.
(d) An English lawyer.
7. Why were the French reluctant to commit troops as the Genoese wanted?
(a) They were waiting for a peace with England.
(b) They were trying to reduce military expenditures.
(c) They were currently fighting Prussia.
(d) They were currently fighting England.
8. Why is Enguerrand torn when King Charles declares war in 1369?
(a) He is related to the English, but he is French.
(b) He will lose money no matter who wins the war.
(c) He is married into French nobility, but his wealth is in English companies.
(d) He had sworn allegiance to both nations.
9. What did Philip van Artevelde order in Ghent when there were revolts?
(a) Massacre of men and boys.
(b) Distribution of food and fixing of prices.
(c) Raising of taxes.
(d) Ordering the townspeople into exile.
10. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
11. What threat confronted people in the countryside of Europe in the 1360s?
(b) Gangs of brigands.
(c) Labor riots.
(d) Grain shortages.
12. What did Coucy do in 1368?
(a) Coucy returned to England for Enguerrand's marriage.
(b) Coucy granted freedom to 22 towns.
(c) Coucy levied high taxes on his people to pay to be rid of the army passing through.
(d) Coucy marched with an army to Spain.
13. What did Gerard Groote found?
(a) The Knights Templar.
(b) The Saracens.
(c) The Brethren of the Common.
(d) The Freemasons.
14. How did Pierre de Luxembourg attain canonization?
(a) By bearing the stigmata.
(b) By renouncing the flesh at age six.
(c) By healing the sick as a child.
(d) By dying at six.
15. How many guests turned out to welcome Roman Emperor Charles IV?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
2. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
3. What does Anjou offer in return for safe passage back to France?
4. Who pleaded with the pope for Church reform?
5. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)