|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a knight loyal to the queen when the king is absent?
(a) Because the queen is of inferior virtue.
(b) Because the king will kill him if he is disobedient.
(c) Because the queen is joined with the king in a unified monarchy.
(d) Because the knight vowed to obey the king's people.
2. How were the English forces paid during their campaign in France?
(a) In land on returning home.
(b) In pillage.
(c) In women and slaves.
(d) In Spanish gold.
3. Why is Enguerrand torn when King Charles declares war in 1369?
(a) He is married into French nobility, but his wealth is in English companies.
(b) He had sworn allegiance to both nations.
(c) He will lose money no matter who wins the war.
(d) He is related to the English, but he is French.
4. How were women portrayed in 14th century literature?
(a) As whores or angels.
(b) As saints.
(c) As virtuous and spiritual.
(d) As unfit and deceptive.
5. What does Anjou offer in return for safe passage back to France?
(a) The Loire Valley.
6. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
(a) Paying back his debts.
(b) Making peace.
(c) Extending his territory.
(d) Winning his wars.
7. What had King Charles promised on his deathbed?
(a) That taxes would not be collected.
(b) That the people would get to vote.
(c) That armies would be disbanded.
(d) That the monarchy would be dissolved.
8. How did Enguerrand punish looters?
(b) Hard labor.
(c) He did not punish them.
9. Where did Pope Urban govern Italy from?
10. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A famous pirate.
(b) An English lawyer.
(c) A French landowner.
(d) A brigand commander.
11. How many times was King Edward's first daughter promised in marriage?
12. How common was it for women to earn wages?
(a) Fairly common.
(b) Women could only work in certain restricted trades.
(d) Only lower-class women could work.
13. What does Enguerrand receive in return for ensuring that his men will not pillage?
(a) Payments from the Italians.
(b) Promises of land.
(c) Payments from the French.
(d) Land to distribute to his officers.
14. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(a) Gregory XI.
15. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(b) He brokered peace between England and France.
(c) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(d) His power went to his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
2. Why was Louis II's marriage to Bernabo Visconti's daughter annulled?
3. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
4. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
5. What did King Edward's daughter decide on her way to her wedding?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)