|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pleaded with the pope for Church reform?
(c) Catherine of Siena.
(d) Archbishop Bari.
2. What did the commoners do when King Charles died?
3. What did the Black Prince order his people to do in Limoges?
(a) Open a Roman Catholic school.
(b) Take possession of the library and art collections.
(c) Collect taxes.
(d) Destroy the town and slaughter the people.
4. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
5. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
(b) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
(c) It was treated openly in poems.
(d) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
6. Who was King Edward's daughter promised to when she was nineteen?
(a) A propertied landowner's son.
(b) A wealthy merchant's son.
(c) A propertied landowner.
(d) A nobleman's youngest son.
7. Who assumes the Papacy after Gregory?
(b) King Charles.
(d) Urban VI.
8. Why is a knight loyal to the queen when the king is absent?
(a) Because the queen is of inferior virtue.
(b) Because the king will kill him if he is disobedient.
(c) Because the queen is joined with the king in a unified monarchy.
(d) Because the knight vowed to obey the king's people.
9. What city did the papal forces fail to take under Gregory XI?
10. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Ten months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Eight months.
11. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
(a) The end of time.
(b) Total war.
(c) A cure for the plague.
(d) Papal intercession.
12. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
13. Why was Louis II's marriage to Bernabo Visconti's daughter annulled?
(a) Louis II was killed.
(b) Louis took another wife.
(c) Bernabo fell from power.
(d) Bernabo's daughter committed adultery.
14. What did Anjou ask for before his death?
(a) Peace in his lands.
(b) The liberation of slaves.
(c) The abolition of taxes.
(d) The ascension of his son.
15. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who condemned Enguerrand's sale of dynastic property?
2. When does Gregory return to Rome?
3. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
4. Why were Enguerrand's men ultimately discouraged?
5. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)