|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Enguerrand's men ultimately discouraged?
(a) Low pay.
(b) A string of losses.
(c) Lack of food and plunder.
(d) Constant guerilla-style harassment.
2. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
(b) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
(c) It was treated openly in poems.
(d) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
3. What city did the papal forces fail to take under Gregory XI?
4. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
5. Who began to mint his own money upon news that the King of France was heading to Rome to make peace?
(b) The Duke of Brittany.
(c) Count Guy de Blois.
(d) Wenceslas IV of Bohemia.
6. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
(a) Papal intercession.
(b) A cure for the plague.
(c) The end of time.
(d) Total war.
7. What did Coucy do in 1368?
(a) Coucy levied high taxes on his people to pay to be rid of the army passing through.
(b) Coucy marched with an army to Spain.
(c) Coucy granted freedom to 22 towns.
(d) Coucy returned to England for Enguerrand's marriage.
8. Why is Enguerrand torn when King Charles declares war in 1369?
(a) He will lose money no matter who wins the war.
(b) He had sworn allegiance to both nations.
(c) He is related to the English, but he is French.
(d) He is married into French nobility, but his wealth is in English companies.
9. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A brigand commander.
(b) A French landowner.
(c) An English lawyer.
(d) A famous pirate.
10. When did Enguerrand marry Isabelle?
11. What had King Charles promised on his deathbed?
(a) That armies would be disbanded.
(b) That taxes would not be collected.
(c) That the monarchy would be dissolved.
(d) That the people would get to vote.
12. Whom does Enguerrard recommend when Charles nominates him for Constable?
(d) Someone more familiar with Brittany.
13. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
(a) By praying incessantly.
(b) By copying the bible into foreign languages.
(c) By giving away all her possessions to the poor.
(d) By keeping herself in a constant state of discomfort.
14. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
(a) Philip of Spain.
(b) Pope Gregory XI.
(c) The Green Count.
(d) Edward, the Black Knight.
15. The papacy after Gregory was disputed between whom?
(a) Urban and Clement.
(b) Gregory and Urban.
(d) Clement and Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
2. Who assumes the Papacy after Gregory?
3. How were the English forces paid during their campaign in France?
4. What does Enguerrand receive in return for ensuring that his men will not pillage?
5. Who was the first child of Kind Edward and Queen Philippa?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)