|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) King Charles.
(b) Pope Gregory XI.
(c) The Black Knight.
(d) The Green Count.
2. Whom does Enguerrard recommend when Charles nominates him for Constable?
(d) Someone more familiar with Brittany.
3. Who assumes the Papacy after Gregory?
(a) King Charles.
(c) Urban VI.
4. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Eight months.
5. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
(a) Marriage to an illegitimate daughter of Visconti's.
(b) A share in the Milanese's businesses.
(c) Promises of money.
(d) An estate in the country above Milan.
6. What did England lose when a ship carrying money was sunk in a naval battle?
(a) Its naval supremacy.
(b) Its secure hold on Aquitaine.
(c) Its chance of peace with France.
(d) The loyalty of its troops.
7. What was Enguerrand's relation to the English King?
(b) Son in law.
8. How do the Saracens propose to settle the conflict with France?
(a) In full warfare.
(b) In single combat.
(c) By siege.
(d) They want ten men from each side to fight.
9. Why is a knight loyal to the queen when the king is absent?
(a) Because the queen is of inferior virtue.
(b) Because the knight vowed to obey the king's people.
(c) Because the queen is joined with the king in a unified monarchy.
(d) Because the king will kill him if he is disobedient.
10. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
11. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
12. To whom did Philip de Artevelde offer allegiance after he assumed the Regent?
(c) The Pope.
13. What threat confronted people in the countryside of Europe in the 1360s?
(b) Grain shortages.
(c) Gangs of brigands.
(d) Labor riots.
14. Who pleaded with the pope for Church reform?
(a) Catherine of Siena.
(c) Archbishop Bari.
15. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As a conquest.
(b) As a holy obligation.
(c) As a crusade.
(d) As an inquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
2. What responsibility did Coucy assume when King Charles died?
3. Whom did the Genoese as for the French to fight with them?
4. Where did Pope Urban govern Italy from?
5. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)