|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
(b) Robert of Geneva.
(d) Charles IV.
2. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) The Black Knight.
(b) King Charles.
(c) The Green Count.
(d) Pope Gregory XI.
3. Who began to mint his own money upon news that the King of France was heading to Rome to make peace?
(a) The Duke of Brittany.
(b) Count Guy de Blois.
(d) Wenceslas IV of Bohemia.
4. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
(a) A scholar who advocated for persecution of demons.
(b) An alcoholic who was destroyed by constant warring.
(c) A soldier who maintained his neutrality.
(d) A virtuous man who was successful in bringing peace.
5. What turn of events allowed Enguerrand's forces to defeat Visconti's?
(a) Visconti's mercenaries turned to looting.
(b) Visconti's forces were pushed into the lake.
(c) Enguerrand's forces received last-minute reinforcements.
(d) Enguerrand paid Visconti's forces not to fight or to fight against Visconti.
6. What did Philip van Artevelde order in Ghent when there were revolts?
(a) Distribution of food and fixing of prices.
(b) Raising of taxes.
(c) Massacre of men and boys.
(d) Ordering the townspeople into exile.
7. What book did people typically carry in the courts?
(a) The Old Testament.
(b) The Book of Hours.
(c) Ovid's Metamorphoses.
(d) Caesar's Gallic Wars.
8. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(b) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(c) His power went to his head.
(d) He brokered peace between England and France.
9. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
(b) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
(c) It was treated openly in poems.
(d) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
10. What did Christine de Pisan write about?
(b) King Arthur.
(c) Joan of Arc.
11. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
(a) Making peace.
(b) Paying back his debts.
(c) Extending his territory.
(d) Winning his wars.
12. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A famous pirate.
(b) An English lawyer.
(c) A brigand commander.
(d) A French landowner.
13. Who was King Edward's daughter promised to when she was nineteen?
(a) A propertied landowner's son.
(b) A wealthy merchant's son.
(c) A nobleman's youngest son.
(d) A propertied landowner.
14. How did the French try to take the Saracens' city?
(a) By force.
(b) By siege.
(c) By trade.
(d) By deceit.
15. What did the Black Prince order his people to do in Limoges?
(a) Take possession of the library and art collections.
(b) Destroy the town and slaughter the people.
(c) Open a Roman Catholic school.
(d) Collect taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Enguerrand punish looters?
2. How were the English forces paid during their campaign in France?
3. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
4. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
5. Who assumes the Papacy after Gregory?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)