|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) His power went to his head.
(b) He brokered peace between England and France.
(c) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(d) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
2. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
(a) Charles IV.
(b) Robert of Geneva.
3. Why was Louis II's marriage to Bernabo Visconti's daughter annulled?
(a) Bernabo fell from power.
(b) Louis II was killed.
(c) Louis took another wife.
(d) Bernabo's daughter committed adultery.
4. How did Pierre de Luxembourg attain canonization?
(a) By bearing the stigmata.
(b) By healing the sick as a child.
(c) By renouncing the flesh at age six.
(d) By dying at six.
5. What territories did Enguerrand want to acquire?
6. When did England and France have a one-year peace?
7. Who condemned Enguerrand's sale of dynastic property?
(a) Count Guy de Blois.
(b) Wenceslas IV.
8. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) Pope Gregory XI.
(b) King Charles.
(c) The Black Knight.
(d) The Green Count.
9. What did the Cardinal do when Anjou took the throne?
(a) Campaigned to have him removed.
(b) Organized a militia.
(c) Raised money for the government.
(d) Fled the country.
10. Why is Enguerrand torn when King Charles declares war in 1369?
(a) He had sworn allegiance to both nations.
(b) He is married into French nobility, but his wealth is in English companies.
(c) He will lose money no matter who wins the war.
(d) He is related to the English, but he is French.
11. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
12. How did Enguerrand punish looters?
(a) Hard labor.
(d) He did not punish them.
13. What turn of events allowed Enguerrand's forces to defeat Visconti's?
(a) Visconti's forces were pushed into the lake.
(b) Enguerrand's forces received last-minute reinforcements.
(c) Enguerrand paid Visconti's forces not to fight or to fight against Visconti.
(d) Visconti's mercenaries turned to looting.
14. What did the Black Prince order his people to do in Limoges?
(a) Take possession of the library and art collections.
(b) Destroy the town and slaughter the people.
(c) Open a Roman Catholic school.
(d) Collect taxes.
15. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
(a) Philip of Spain.
(b) Edward, the Black Knight.
(c) The Green Count.
(d) Pope Gregory XI.
Short Answer Questions
1. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
2. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
3. Where does Gregory say Rome is?
4. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
5. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)