|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What turn of events allowed Enguerrand's forces to defeat Visconti's?
(a) Enguerrand's forces received last-minute reinforcements.
(b) Visconti's mercenaries turned to looting.
(c) Visconti's forces were pushed into the lake.
(d) Enguerrand paid Visconti's forces not to fight or to fight against Visconti.
2. The papacy after Gregory was disputed between whom?
(b) Urban and Clement.
(c) Gregory and Urban.
(d) Clement and Charles.
3. What book did people typically carry in the courts?
(a) The Book of Hours.
(b) Caesar's Gallic Wars.
(c) The Old Testament.
(d) Ovid's Metamorphoses.
4. How does Catherine of Siena serve Christ?
(a) By giving away all her possessions to the poor.
(b) By praying incessantly.
(c) By keeping herself in a constant state of discomfort.
(d) By copying the bible into foreign languages.
5. Why were Enguerrand's men ultimately discouraged?
(a) A string of losses.
(b) Lack of food and plunder.
(c) Constant guerilla-style harassment.
(d) Low pay.
6. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) An English lawyer.
(b) A famous pirate.
(c) A French landowner.
(d) A brigand commander.
7. What threat confronted people in the countryside of Europe in the 1360s?
(a) Grain shortages.
(b) Labor riots.
(c) Gangs of brigands.
8. What did Philip van Artevelde order in Ghent when there were revolts?
(a) Massacre of men and boys.
(b) Raising of taxes.
(c) Distribution of food and fixing of prices.
(d) Ordering the townspeople into exile.
9. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
10. What was Enguerrand's relation to the English King?
(d) Son in law.
11. What did King Edward's daughter decide on her way to her wedding?
(a) To become a nun.
(b) To become a poetess.
(c) To run away.
(d) Not to get married.
12. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
(b) It was treated openly in poems.
(c) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
(d) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
13. Where does Gregory say Rome is?
(a) In the heart of every Roman.
(b) At the altar of the Vatican.
(c) Wherever he is.
(d) Wherever the pope happens to be.
14. Under what condition was sex permitted in the mid-fourteenth century?
15. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) His power went to his head.
(b) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(c) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(d) He brokered peace between England and France.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does a serf have to work on his master's land to be freed?
2. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
3. What did Christine de Pisan write about?
4. Who was captured and held without ransom?
5. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)