|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(b) Plotting to poison the king.
(c) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(d) Plotting to overthrow the king.
2. How did Enguerrand punish looters?
(c) He did not punish them.
(d) Hard labor.
3. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
(a) Papal intercession.
(b) The end of time.
(c) A cure for the plague.
(d) Total war.
4. What caused the bourgeoisie to come to a peaceful settlement in regard to the King's tax policy?
(a) A disastrous battle of Ghent.
(b) The death of the female heir to the throne.
(c) The death of Enguerrand.
(d) The defeat of the Flemish at Lys.
5. What reason did Enguerrand give for wanting to stop fighting?
(a) He wanted to be made Pope.
(b) He wanted to travel.
(c) He wanted to return to his family.
(d) He wanted to see to his estate and his business.
6. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
(a) Pope Gregory XI.
(b) The Green Count.
(c) Edward, the Black Knight.
(d) Philip of Spain.
7. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) The Green Count.
(b) The Black Knight.
(c) King Charles.
(d) Pope Gregory XI.
8. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
(a) A scholar who advocated for persecution of demons.
(b) A soldier who maintained his neutrality.
(c) An alcoholic who was destroyed by constant warring.
(d) A virtuous man who was successful in bringing peace.
9. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
10. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A French landowner.
(b) A famous pirate.
(c) A brigand commander.
(d) An English lawyer.
11. Under what condition was sex permitted in the mid-fourteenth century?
12. What did England lose when a ship carrying money was sunk in a naval battle?
(a) Its chance of peace with France.
(b) Its secure hold on Aquitaine.
(c) The loyalty of its troops.
(d) Its naval supremacy.
13. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(b) Gregory XI.
14. Why were the French reluctant to commit troops as the Genoese wanted?
(a) They were trying to reduce military expenditures.
(b) They were currently fighting Prussia.
(c) They were waiting for a peace with England.
(d) They were currently fighting England.
15. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
(a) Charles IV.
(d) Robert of Geneva.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did King Edward's daughter decide on her way to her wedding?
2. What did Gerard Groote found?
3. Why did mobs rush the Jewish quarter of the city?
4. Whom does Enguerrard recommend when Charles nominates him for Constable?
5. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)