|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
2. When did Enguerrand marry Isabelle?
3. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(a) Gregory XI.
4. Why did mobs rush the Jewish quarter of the city?
(a) Money was in short supply and the mobs rioted.
(b) The Inquisition had made Jews seem threatening.
(c) The plague had made people superstitious, and they took it out on the Jews.
(d) Anjou had followed through on Charles's decision not to collect taxes.
5. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(b) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(c) He brokered peace between England and France.
(d) His power went to his head.
6. Who was the first child of Kind Edward and Queen Philippa?
7. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(b) Plotting to overthrow the king.
(c) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(d) Plotting to poison the king.
8. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
(a) An alcoholic who was destroyed by constant warring.
(b) A scholar who advocated for persecution of demons.
(c) A soldier who maintained his neutrality.
(d) A virtuous man who was successful in bringing peace.
9. What does Enguerrand receive in return for ensuring that his men will not pillage?
(a) Payments from the Italians.
(b) Promises of land.
(c) Land to distribute to his officers.
(d) Payments from the French.
10. When does Gregory return to Rome?
11. Where does Gregory say Rome is?
(a) In the heart of every Roman.
(b) At the altar of the Vatican.
(c) Wherever the pope happens to be.
(d) Wherever he is.
12. What city did the papal forces fail to take under Gregory XI?
13. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
(a) Pope Gregory XI.
(b) The Green Count.
(c) Philip of Spain.
(d) Edward, the Black Knight.
14. How many times was King Edward's first daughter promised in marriage?
15. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As a crusade.
(b) As an inquisition.
(c) As a conquest.
(d) As a holy obligation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
2. How common was it for women to earn wages?
3. What did the commoners do when King Charles died?
4. Who pleaded with the pope for Church reform?
5. What did England lose when a ship carrying money was sunk in a naval battle?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)