|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
2. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) King Charles.
(b) The Black Knight.
(c) Pope Gregory XI.
(d) The Green Count.
3. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
(a) He fights for England.
(b) He fights for England and hires a replacement to fight for France.
(c) He fights for France.
(d) He pleads neutrality.
4. The papacy after Gregory was disputed between whom?
(a) Gregory and Urban.
(c) Urban and Clement.
(d) Clement and Charles.
5. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He brokered peace between England and France.
(b) His power went to his head.
(c) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(d) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
6. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As a conquest.
(b) As a crusade.
(c) As an inquisition.
(d) As a holy obligation.
7. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
(a) Total war.
(b) The end of time.
(c) Papal intercession.
(d) A cure for the plague.
8. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A brigand commander.
(b) An English lawyer.
(c) A French landowner.
(d) A famous pirate.
9. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
(a) Making peace.
(b) Extending his territory.
(c) Paying back his debts.
(d) Winning his wars.
10. What did Gerard Groote found?
(a) The Saracens.
(b) The Brethren of the Common.
(c) The Knights Templar.
(d) The Freemasons.
11. What territories did Enguerrand want to acquire?
12. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(c) Gregory XI.
13. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
(c) Charles of Navarre's lands.
(d) The Loire valley.
14. What did England lose when a ship carrying money was sunk in a naval battle?
(a) The loyalty of its troops.
(b) Its chance of peace with France.
(c) Its secure hold on Aquitaine.
(d) Its naval supremacy.
15. What was a woman's recourse against a dominant husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the French try to take the Saracens' city?
2. When did England and France have a one-year peace?
3. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
4. What threat confronted people in the countryside of Europe in the 1360s?
5. What caused the bourgeoisie to come to a peaceful settlement in regard to the King's tax policy?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)