|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times was King Edward's first daughter promised in marriage?
2. What were many people waiting for during the plague years?
(a) A cure for the plague.
(b) Papal intercession.
(c) The end of time.
(d) Total war.
3. What city did the papal forces fail to take under Gregory XI?
4. Why did mobs rush the Jewish quarter of the city?
(a) The Inquisition had made Jews seem threatening.
(b) Anjou had followed through on Charles's decision not to collect taxes.
(c) The plague had made people superstitious, and they took it out on the Jews.
(d) Money was in short supply and the mobs rioted.
5. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
6. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A French landowner.
(b) A brigand commander.
(c) An English lawyer.
(d) A famous pirate.
7. What territories did Enguerrand want to acquire?
8. What did King Charles focus on as his health began to decline?
(a) Paying back his debts.
(b) Winning his wars.
(c) Making peace.
(d) Extending his territory.
9. What did the Cardinal do when Anjou took the throne?
(a) Fled the country.
(b) Campaigned to have him removed.
(c) Organized a militia.
(d) Raised money for the government.
10. What did the commoners do when King Charles died?
11. What book did people typically carry in the courts?
(a) Caesar's Gallic Wars.
(b) The Book of Hours.
(c) Ovid's Metamorphoses.
(d) The Old Testament.
12. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
(a) A share in the Milanese's businesses.
(b) Promises of money.
(c) An estate in the country above Milan.
(d) Marriage to an illegitimate daughter of Visconti's.
13. Why were the French reluctant to commit troops as the Genoese wanted?
(a) They were trying to reduce military expenditures.
(b) They were currently fighting Prussia.
(c) They were waiting for a peace with England.
(d) They were currently fighting England.
14. What reason did Enguerrand give for wanting to stop fighting?
(a) He wanted to travel.
(b) He wanted to return to his family.
(c) He wanted to see to his estate and his business.
(d) He wanted to be made Pope.
15. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As an inquisition.
(b) As a conquest.
(c) As a crusade.
(d) As a holy obligation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bourgeoisie to come to a peaceful settlement in regard to the King's tax policy?
2. Why were Enguerrand's men ultimately discouraged?
3. When does Gregory return to Rome?
4. What does Leopold suggest that people do, in towns threatened by Enguerrand?
5. What did the Black Prince order his people to do in Limoges?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)