|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(b) Gregory XI.
2. How were women portrayed in 14th century literature?
(a) As virtuous and spiritual.
(b) As saints.
(c) As whores or angels.
(d) As unfit and deceptive.
3. How do the Saracens propose to settle the conflict with France?
(a) By siege.
(b) In single combat.
(c) In full warfare.
(d) They want ten men from each side to fight.
4. What does Enguerrand receive in return for ensuring that his men will not pillage?
(a) Promises of land.
(b) Land to distribute to his officers.
(c) Payments from the French.
(d) Payments from the Italians.
5. Under what condition was sex permitted in the mid-fourteenth century?
6. What did the commoners do when King Charles died?
7. When did England and France have a one-year peace?
8. How was sex handled in King Edward's culture?
(a) It was an open secret, but it was not spoken about in polite society.
(b) It was treated openly in poems.
(c) Sex was discussed openly among initiates.
(d) All mention of sex was forbidden in society.
9. How common was it for women to earn wages?
(a) Women could only work in certain restricted trades.
(c) Fairly common.
(d) Only lower-class women could work.
10. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(b) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(c) Plotting to poison the king.
(d) Plotting to overthrow the king.
11. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ten months.
12. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
(b) Charles of Navarre's lands.
(c) The Loire valley.
13. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
14. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) An English lawyer.
(b) A famous pirate.
(c) A brigand commander.
(d) A French landowner.
15. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
(a) He fights for France.
(b) He fights for England.
(c) He pleads neutrality.
(d) He fights for England and hires a replacement to fight for France.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
2. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
3. What city did the papal forces fail to take under Gregory XI?
4. What did England lose when a ship carrying money was sunk in a naval battle?
5. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)