|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
(b) Gregory XI.
2. Who threatened to come to England with his helmet on and 60,000 men?
(a) Edward, the Black Knight.
(b) The Green Count.
(c) Philip of Spain.
(d) Pope Gregory XI.
3. What did Christine de Pisan write about?
(a) King Arthur.
(c) Joan of Arc.
4. Why were the French reluctant to commit troops as the Genoese wanted?
(a) They were currently fighting Prussia.
(b) They were trying to reduce military expenditures.
(c) They were currently fighting England.
(d) They were waiting for a peace with England.
5. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
(c) The Loire valley.
(d) Charles of Navarre's lands.
6. When does Gregory return to Rome?
7. How was Hawkwood's loyalty purchased by the Milanese?
(a) A share in the Milanese's businesses.
(b) Marriage to an illegitimate daughter of Visconti's.
(c) Promises of money.
(d) An estate in the country above Milan.
8. Who did Enguerrand ally himself with?
(a) Pope Gregory XI.
(b) The Green Count.
(c) The Black Knight.
(d) King Charles.
9. What was Enguerrand's relation to the English King?
(b) Son in law.
10. How many guests turned out to welcome Roman Emperor Charles IV?
11. How common was it for women to earn wages?
(a) Fairly common.
(b) Only lower-class women could work.
(d) Women could only work in certain restricted trades.
12. How were the English forces paid during their campaign in France?
(a) In women and slaves.
(b) In land on returning home.
(c) In Spanish gold.
(d) In pillage.
13. When did Enguerrand marry Isabelle?
14. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) A famous pirate.
(b) A brigand commander.
(c) A French landowner.
(d) An English lawyer.
15. Why were Enguerrand's men ultimately discouraged?
(a) Constant guerilla-style harassment.
(b) Lack of food and plunder.
(c) Low pay.
(d) A string of losses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Genoese as for the French to fight with them?
2. Where did Pope Urban govern Italy from?
3. Where does Gregory say Rome is?
4. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
5. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)