|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had King Charles promised on his deathbed?
(a) That the monarchy would be dissolved.
(b) That armies would be disbanded.
(c) That taxes would not be collected.
(d) That the people would get to vote.
2. What does Anjou offer in return for safe passage back to France?
(d) The Loire Valley.
3. What did the Cardinal do when Anjou took the throne?
(a) Fled the country.
(b) Organized a militia.
(c) Campaigned to have him removed.
(d) Raised money for the government.
4. Why was Louis II's marriage to Bernabo Visconti's daughter annulled?
(a) Louis II was killed.
(b) Bernabo's daughter committed adultery.
(c) Louis took another wife.
(d) Bernabo fell from power.
5. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(b) Plotting to poison the king.
(c) Plotting to overthrow the king.
(d) Murdering his brother-in-law.
6. Why is a knight loyal to the queen when the king is absent?
(a) Because the knight vowed to obey the king's people.
(b) Because the king will kill him if he is disobedient.
(c) Because the queen is of inferior virtue.
(d) Because the queen is joined with the king in a unified monarchy.
7. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
(c) Robert of Geneva.
(d) Charles IV.
8. How many religious holidays did workers have to observe a year?
9. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
(a) As a conquest.
(b) As a crusade.
(c) As a holy obligation.
(d) As an inquisition.
10. When did England and France have a one-year peace?
11. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
(a) An English lawyer.
(b) A famous pirate.
(c) A French landowner.
(d) A brigand commander.
12. Who was the first child of Kind Edward and Queen Philippa?
13. What does Enguerrand receive in return for ensuring that his men will not pillage?
(a) Payments from the French.
(b) Payments from the Italians.
(c) Land to distribute to his officers.
(d) Promises of land.
14. Under what condition was sex permitted in the mid-fourteenth century?
15. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. How were women portrayed in 14th century literature?
2. Where did Pope Urban govern Italy from?
3. Who was King Edward's daughter promised to when she was nineteen?
4. How common was it for women to earn wages?
5. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)