|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Philip the Fair accuse the Templars of heresy?
2. What was a typical penance imposed in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) Devoting one's children to the church.
(b) A pilgrimage to Rome.
(d) Exile to Britain.
3. How did people explain the advent of the plague?
(a) Corruption in the church.
(b) Centralization of power in governments.
(c) Unpaid debts.
(d) Planetary alignments.
4. What did the Jacquerie inspire in France?
(a) Independence for peasants.
(b) Repressive measures from the king.
(c) Armed insurrections.
(d) Political discussions.
5. What was the dominant belief about the shape of the earth?
(a) People believed it was hollow.
(b) People believed it was a sphere.
(c) People believed it was flat square.
(d) People believed it a flat circle.
6. How did the church resist dissolution for its excesses?
(a) It oppressed any dissenters.
(b) It enforced its power with well-armed militias.
(c) It could buy out any opposition.
(d) Its roots ran deep in Coucy society.
7. Who was exempt from taxation?
(a) People with only one estate.
(c) Men of the sword.
8. When was the castle of Coucy built?
9. What resulted from the depopulation of Europe during the plague?
(a) Factories sprang up.
(b) Rents decreased.
(c) Labor was cheaper.
(d) Knights returned to their estates.
10. What was a knight's work in the 14th century?
(d) Policing the cities.
11. How did Philip the Fair prove his claims of heresy against the Templars?
(a) By playing off people's superstitions.
(b) By publishing intercepted letters.
(c) By raiding Templar meeting houses.
(d) By forcing confessions from Knights Templar.
12. What belief among the people allowed the church to maintain its position and make money?
(a) The idea that giving to the church would save you from troubles in this life.
(b) The idea that paying alms earns you a place in Heaven.
(c) The idea that opposing the church would automatically send you to hell.
(d) The idea that serving the church in the military would give you the chance to earn grace.
13. What did the church teach about life on earth?
(a) It was man's only chance at meaning.
(b) It fulfilled a divine plan.
(c) It was just a passage.
(d) It was necessarily painful.
14. When would a wealthy child be sent to another castle to serve as a page?
(a) At sixteen.
(b) At seven.
(c) At eleven.
(d) At fourteen.
15. What happened to the leader who accepted an invitation to parley with Charles of Navarre?
(a) He negotiated a peaceful conclusion to hostilities.
(b) He was turned into a double agent who betrayed the peasants.
(c) He was exiled.
(d) He was captured and executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are more susceptible to the black plague?
2. Why did nobles neglect to condemn the luxuries of the clergy?
3. Where are young women taught?
4. What was the result of the agreement between the Third Estate and Dauphin Charles?
5. Where was Jean kept during his captivity by the English?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)