|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did people transport things in the 14th century?
(b) Mule trains.
2. Who led the Third Estate of Paris while Jean II was a captive of the English?
(a) Philip Vi.
(b) Dauphin Charles.
(c) Etienne Marcel.
(d) Charles of Navarre.
3. What did Jean II do immediately upon taking the throne of France?
(a) He returned Calais to England.
(b) He devalued money.
(c) He beheaded Enguerrand.
(d) He exiled Enguerrand.
4. When would a wealthy child be sent to another castle to serve as a page?
(a) At fourteen.
(b) At eleven.
(c) At sixteen.
(d) At seven.
5. What roles did the Church play in Coucy society?
(a) Protector and police.
(b) Prophet and mystic.
(c) Comforter and teacher.
(d) Governor and jailer.
6. What opportunity made warfare attractive to peasants?
(b) Owning conquered land.
(c) Serving God.
(d) Seeing foreign places.
7. What idea began to catch on as the plague swept Europe?
8. What was the effect of mercenaries on the French countryside?
(a) They brought peace and allowed prosperity to take hold.
(b) They collected taxes with violence.
(c) They protected the towns from invaders.
(d) They wrought havoc on the population.
9. What became of Enguerrand's son, Thomas?
(a) He became a good leader.
(b) He was murdered.
(c) He was executed.
(d) He was excommunicated.
10. How did the people who built the castle of Coucy allow for the people inside the castle to provide for themselves during a siege?
(a) They built installed a system of early detection for invaders.
(b) They built a network of underground entrances.
(c) They enclosed the surrounding farmland in walls as well.
(d) They built a moat around the castle for water.
11. Why were music and medicine lumped together in the 14th century?
(a) They both relied on mystical intervals of sound and tone.
(b) They both drew on the same spirits.
(c) They both used resonance to heal.
(d) They both aimed to harmonize the body.
12. How did the church make money in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) Taxing mercantile cities.
(b) Selling offices and imposing fines.
(c) Conquering foreign lands.
(d) Selling slaves and imports.
13. What was increasing as the fourteenth century progressed?
(a) Infant mortality.
(d) Agricultural production.
14. Where did Sir Robert Knollys lead his army when he invaded France?
(a) The valley of the Loire.
(b) The Pyrennes.
15. What did people believe about the plague?
(a) It was a manifestation of an ancient curse.
(b) It was a scourge from God.
(c) It was a radical purification of humanity.
(d) It was a sign of the Kings' corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a typical penance imposed in the beginning of the 14th century?
2. Who was Pope in the beginning of the 14th century?
3. Where are the sons of the poor sent when they reach an age to learn a trade?
4. What happened to the leader who accepted an invitation to parley with Charles of Navarre?
5. When did Herve built the first castle in Coucy?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)