|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the Jacquerie choose as their leader?
(a) Guillaume Karle.
(b) Captal de Buch.
(c) Gaston Phoebus.
(d) Charles of Navarre.
2. How did Philip the Fair prove his claims of heresy against the Templars?
(a) By raiding Templar meeting houses.
(b) By forcing confessions from Knights Templar.
(c) By publishing intercepted letters.
(d) By playing off people's superstitions.
3. What was increasing as the fourteenth century progressed?
(b) Infant mortality.
(d) Agricultural production.
4. When did Enguerrand become a historical figure?
5. Who was exempt from taxation?
(c) Men of the sword.
(d) People with only one estate.
6. Who was Pope in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) John XXII.
(b) Clement III.
(c) Clement V.
(d) Phillip VI.
7. How did the church resist dissolution for its excesses?
(a) It could buy out any opposition.
(b) It enforced its power with well-armed militias.
(c) It oppressed any dissenters.
(d) Its roots ran deep in Coucy society.
8. How did wealthy people display their wealth in the 14th century?
(a) By owning slaves.
(b) By displaying tapestries.
(c) By traveling abroad.
(d) By paying taxes.
9. What was the result of the agreement between the Third Estate and Dauphin Charles?
(a) The king would abdicate and parliament would rule.
(b) France would submit to England.
(c) Tax increases become solely the king's prerogative.
(d) The king would live more frugally.
10. What opportunity made warfare attractive to peasants?
(a) Owning conquered land.
(b) Serving God.
(c) Seeing foreign places.
11. When did the Dauphin reinstate the chancellors and dismiss the Grand Council?
12. What did the Jacquerie inspire in France?
(a) Armed insurrections.
(b) Political discussions.
(c) Repressive measures from the king.
(d) Independence for peasants.
13. What were the first signs of the people rebelling against the church?
(a) The gap between rich and poor widened.
(b) The Papal tax collectors were attacked.
(c) Luddites destroy machinery in the textile indutry.
(d) Church attendance declined.
14. When was the castle of Coucy built?
15. How did wealthy men create a base of commerce at Coucy?
(a) They sold their support to the landowners.
(b) They used the port as a center for foreign trade.
(c) They sent overland cargo transports to Italy and the East.
(d) They taxed the people and imported spices from India with the proceeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the castle of Coucy primarily built for?
2. What organizations thrived during the plague years?
3. What happened to the church during the plague years in the 14th century?
4. How did the poor organize to oppose the influence of the rich?
5. What did the Pastoreaux do to oppose the Church?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)