|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When would a wealthy child be sent to another castle to serve as a page?
(a) At fourteen.
(b) At seven.
(c) At eleven.
(d) At sixteen.
2. How did people explain the advent of the plague?
(a) Unpaid debts.
(b) Planetary alignments.
(c) Corruption in the church.
(d) Centralization of power in governments.
3. What was a knight's work in the 14th century?
(b) Policing the cities.
4. How did people transport things in the 14th century?
(d) Mule trains.
5. What was increasing as the fourteenth century progressed?
(a) Infant mortality.
(b) Agricultural production.
6. What would a wealthy child learn until the age of seven?
7. What opportunity made warfare attractive to peasants?
(a) Owning conquered land.
(b) Serving God.
(d) Seeing foreign places.
8. What idea began to catch on as the plague swept Europe?
9. What happened to the church during the plague years in the 14th century?
(a) It became more inclusive in order to maintain congregations.
(b) It gained authority as people died, and the church took their lands.
(c) It lost its authority because it could not stop the plague.
(d) It gained adherents as people sought explanations.
10. How did the poor organize to oppose the influence of the rich?
(a) They held town hall meetings.
(b) They formed militias.
(c) They formed labor unions.
(d) They formed brotherhoods.
11. What belief among the people allowed the church to maintain its position and make money?
(a) The idea that opposing the church would automatically send you to hell.
(b) The idea that serving the church in the military would give you the chance to earn grace.
(c) The idea that giving to the church would save you from troubles in this life.
(d) The idea that paying alms earns you a place in Heaven.
12. How did Sir Robert Knollys avoid being condemned for breaking the treaty with France?
(a) He threatened Edward with invasion.
(b) He arranged for Jean II to be killed.
(c) He gave the booty to Edward.
(d) He installed Edward as the king of the conquered lands.
13. How did the 14th century begin?
(a) With a plague.
(b) With increases in agricultural production.
(c) With large-scale wars.
(d) With a population increase.
14. Who arranged for the release of Charles of Navarre?
(a) The Dauphin.
(d) Jean II.
15. How did Philip the Fair prove his claims of heresy against the Templars?
(a) By forcing confessions from Knights Templar.
(b) By publishing intercepted letters.
(c) By playing off people's superstitions.
(d) By raiding Templar meeting houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the castle of Coucy built?
2. What was the dominant belief about the shape of the earth?
3. Who was put in charge of the money for knights and armies, as a result of the agreement between the Third Estate and Dauphin Charles?
4. Where were Jews burned inside a house in a plague town?
5. What did people believe about the plague?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)