|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the dominant belief about the shape of the earth?
(a) People believed it was a sphere.
(b) People believed it was hollow.
(c) People believed it was flat square.
(d) People believed it a flat circle.
2. What opportunity made warfare attractive to peasants?
(b) Serving God.
(c) Owning conquered land.
(d) Seeing foreign places.
3. How did the church make money in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) Selling slaves and imports.
(b) Conquering foreign lands.
(c) Taxing mercantile cities.
(d) Selling offices and imposing fines.
4. How were the dead buried who died of the plague?
(a) In individual graves.
(b) In shallow graves.
(c) In expensive mausoleums.
(d) In centralized cemetaries.
5. Who was accused of poisoning wells?
(c) Knights Templar.
6. What could bastard sons buy from the church in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) Military appointments.
(c) Nobility papers.
(d) Papers of legitimacy.
7. What did the Jacquerie hold in May of 1358?
(a) A secession meeting.
(b) An open revolt.
(c) An "indignation meeting."
(d) A constitutional convention.
8. What was the most applied science in the 14th century?
9. What resulted from the depopulation of Europe during the plague?
(a) Knights returned to their estates.
(b) Rents decreased.
(c) Factories sprang up.
(d) Labor was cheaper.
10. What did Edward hope to get by keeping Jean II captive?
(a) Leverage to extract concessions from Philip VI.
(b) Ransom from France.
(c) An alliance with Charles of Navarre.
(d) French land.
11. What did the church teach about life on earth?
(a) It was just a passage.
(b) It was necessarily painful.
(c) It fulfilled a divine plan.
(d) It was man's only chance at meaning.
12. What happened to the church during the plague years in the 14th century?
(a) It became more inclusive in order to maintain congregations.
(b) It gained authority as people died, and the church took their lands.
(c) It gained adherents as people sought explanations.
(d) It lost its authority because it could not stop the plague.
13. What would a wealthy child learn until the age of seven?
14. What did the Pastoreaux do to oppose the Church?
(a) They besieged the castle at Coucy.
(b) They burned buildings and opened prisons.
(c) They marched on Rome.
(d) They attacked Jews.
15. What did people believe about the plague?
(a) It was a sign of the Kings' corruption.
(b) It was a radical purification of humanity.
(c) It was a manifestation of an ancient curse.
(d) It was a scourge from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was exempt from taxation?
2. What became of Enguerrand's son, Thomas?
3. What roles did the Church play in Coucy society?
4. How many people died of the black plague?
5. How was uncultivated land used when there weren't farmers to farm it?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)