|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led the Third Estate of Paris while Jean II was a captive of the English?
(a) Dauphin Charles.
(b) Etienne Marcel.
(c) Philip Vi.
(d) Charles of Navarre.
2. What was a typical penance imposed in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) A pilgrimage to Rome.
(c) Devoting one's children to the church.
(d) Exile to Britain.
3. When did Jean II take the throne of France?
4. Which figures in the church offered believers solace?
(a) The pope.
(b) Patron saints.
(c) The bishops.
(d) The worshippers themselves.
5. When would a wealthy child be sent to another castle to serve as a page?
(a) At eleven.
(b) At fourteen.
(c) At sixteen.
(d) At seven.
6. How did Dauphin Charles try to raise money?
(a) By devaluing the coinage.
(b) By borrowing from the Swiss.
(c) By increasing taxation.
(d) By selling indulgences.
7. What did the Jacquerie hold in May of 1358?
(a) An open revolt.
(b) An "indignation meeting."
(c) A constitutional convention.
(d) A secession meeting.
8. How are the wealthy different from the poor in size of their families?
(a) They typically have larger families.
(b) They typically have smaller families.
(c) They typically send extra children away.
(d) They typically take in foster children.
9. Why did nobles neglect to condemn the luxuries of the clergy?
(a) Because the nobility and clergy needed each other.
(b) Because the nobles profited from the clergy's decadence.
(c) Because the clergy was more powerful than the nobles.
(d) Because the clergy still lived relatively Spartan existences.
10. Why were music and medicine lumped together in the 14th century?
(a) They both aimed to harmonize the body.
(b) They both used resonance to heal.
(c) They both drew on the same spirits.
(d) They both relied on mystical intervals of sound and tone.
11. Who was exempt from taxation?
(b) Men of the sword.
(d) People with only one estate.
12. How did Sir Robert Knollys avoid being condemned for breaking the treaty with France?
(a) He arranged for Jean II to be killed.
(b) He gave the booty to Edward.
(c) He threatened Edward with invasion.
(d) He installed Edward as the king of the conquered lands.
13. Who founded an Augustinian monastery in Coucy?
(a) Comte d'Eudes.
(b) Aubry de Coucy.
(c) Abbot Guibert.
(d) Archibishop Herve.
14. When did Jean II face an English invasion?
15. What were the first signs of the people rebelling against the church?
(a) Church attendance declined.
(b) The gap between rich and poor widened.
(c) Luddites destroy machinery in the textile indutry.
(d) The Papal tax collectors were attacked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Pastoreaux do to oppose the Church?
2. What was the dominant belief about the shape of the earth?
3. When did the Dauphin reinstate the chancellors and dismiss the Grand Council?
4. What did Jean II do immediately upon taking the throne of France?
5. What did the church teach about life on earth?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)