|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technology was revolutionizing warfare in the 14th century?
(a) Longbows and guns.
(c) Observation balloons.
(d) Poison gas.
2. How did people explain the advent of the plague?
(a) Corruption in the church.
(b) Unpaid debts.
(c) Planetary alignments.
(d) Centralization of power in governments.
3. Who founded an Augustinian monastery in Coucy?
(a) Aubry de Coucy.
(b) Comte d'Eudes.
(c) Archibishop Herve.
(d) Abbot Guibert.
4. What belief among the people allowed the church to maintain its position and make money?
(a) The idea that giving to the church would save you from troubles in this life.
(b) The idea that opposing the church would automatically send you to hell.
(c) The idea that paying alms earns you a place in Heaven.
(d) The idea that serving the church in the military would give you the chance to earn grace.
5. What could bastard sons buy from the church in the beginning of the 14th century?
(a) Papers of legitimacy.
(b) Military appointments.
(c) Nobility papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Coucy in 1197?
2. Why did nobles neglect to condemn the luxuries of the clergy?
3. How did the church resist dissolution for its excesses?
4. Who was exempt from taxation?
5. Who was the first "lord of Coucy"?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)